Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-28-2009, 01:14 AM

Default Fishing Eagle Lake by strathmore

I am heading out there tommorrow and hopefully the fishing is good. I have good memories of catching my biggest pike of my life there. 33 pounds and 45.5 inches long. (Don't worry she was released) I have caught walleye there up to 10 pounds too. I have heard that the fishing has gone to well, the perverbial pooper in the last 3 or 4 yrs. I will write up a report on how it went when I get back.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:39 PM

Default Eagle Lake

Well here it is people. Ice is about 1.5 to 2 feet thick. Lots of snow. Caught 2 pike, one 6 pounds and the other closer to 10 pounds. My buddy caught something twice, took his smelt and then hung around for a second snack to be lowered down. Too bad he didn't get it to the hole to identify it. But it grabbed the smelt the second time and bolted like a shot and wasn't slowing down any time soon.
Oh yeah, remember to make sure you get all your tip ups packed away after fishing, and don't rely on the kids to responsibly get them when you say, "time to pack it in, make sure you grab everything." Got to say, " I love my kids, I love my kids, I love my kids" Oh well, my fault too. Too bad it was a xmas gift from the wife. Would have gone back for it too, if my buddy wasn't driving, and my truck wasn't in the shop. And the fact that I realized it wasn't in with the other tip up. (Sigh) Wouldn't be the first tip up ever forgotten and lost out on the ice. Just hope it might be there on saturday when I go out again. And hopefully something just nibbled the herring off and doesn't get hooked.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:31 PM

Great update. Glad to hear there is some action there. Did you keep anything? If so how did it taste?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:24 PM

Nope. Didn't keep a thing, all legal though. Though there was something that was following my small smelt with a jig. Going up and down about 12 times, 1 to 2 feet of bottom. Perch, small eye? Saw it on the vexlar, was pretty neat. Wish I had brought my small perch rod, and some mealworms. Would of found out what it was for sure.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 PM

Where abouts do people fish Eagle? I've thought about giving it a try but heard the water is pretty nasty, is this true? Where do you access? Sorry about all the questions but just looking to try a new place. Seems like size wise of the slough sharks aren't to bad or do you have to go through a bunch of hammer handles first, not that it matters it's all fun as long as there's action. Any info would be great.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:40 PM

I have fished this lake many times and have had no great luck. There are Pike in there. I can send you a map with some locations if you need , but would recommend another body of water. I know there will be some on here telling you different. To each there own this is just my own opinion. So no one slay me please. Again "in my experience" the lake has been alive with shrimp punch a hole and we would be walking on shrimp. Tried my camera and all I seen was shrimp. I have got some Pike out of there but never more than just a few a day and not real large. I have heard from many people that there is Eyes in there , But I would bet you will be hard pressed to find anyone who has got one , or have a pic to prove it. There are more reliable locations with a better fishery with in just a few more mins drive of Calgary

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 12-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks Jeff, just getting tired of the little snot rockets out of Chestermere. Was out there the other day for about 5 hours and caught 25 of the little buggers. They all looked like the same one, 24". NEED A NEW PLACE.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 PM

I usually have good luck in eagle, and well, here is a tip. A freebie you might say, I personally in winter, if you know where a hole is, use it during the day, and you get walleye. Or use small minnows and jigs in the shimp clusters or find the edges of the shrimp. Eyes and pike (this technique hit and miss, but can produce some good results). The pike are in usually in 6 ft or less along the shore. I have drilled (is risky) close to shore as possible, into 1 to 4 feet. Put down your herring or smelt, and wait. Been my success in all the times I have gone out. Even yesterday, should have listened to my own advise earlier in the day. Soon as I went close to the shoreline, WHAMMO! within 15 minutes.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:27 PM

Great tips pond. I appreciate it as I'm sure others do. I feel your pain leaving gear on the ice (or at the rink, school, friends houses,doctors office, wherever) Kids are great though, I just think how patient my Granddad must have been to take me out when I was that young, makes it a little easier for me to remain calm.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks Pondstomper. Where does a guy access from? I figured the pike would be shallow, same as Chesterslough 6-10 feet seems to nail them. Chestermere is also teaming with shrimp. It's just to close to not give it a try.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondstomper View Post
I usually have good luck in eagle, and well, here is a tip. A freebie you might say, I personally in winter, if you know where a hole is, use it during the day, and you get walleye. Or use small minnows and jigs in the shimp clusters or find the edges of the shrimp. Eyes and pike (this technique hit and miss, but can produce some good results). The pike are in usually in 6 ft or less along the shore. I have drilled (is risky) close to shore as possible, into 1 to 4 feet. Put down your herring or smelt, and wait. Been my success in all the times I have gone out. Even yesterday, should have listened to my own advise earlier in the day. Soon as I went close to the shoreline, WHAMMO! within 15 minutes.
screwed my blades on that lake one year trying to drill too close to shore . Gotta say this is the first I've heard of any decent pike out of there for years. Long ago buddies used to fish it by the tracks and do alright
Old 12-29-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout tracker View Post
Thanks Jeff, just getting tired of the little snot rockets out of Chestermere. Was out there the other day for about 5 hours and caught 25 of the little buggers. They all looked like the same one, 24". NEED A NEW PLACE.
Ya I know again I have "heard"of large Pike in there but yet to see one

Old 12-29-2009, 01:46 PM

I did have one on last winter that I couldn't get through the 6" hole, head wouldn't fit through. That was the only time I had one on of any size, so they are there but very far and few between. There is also the illusive perch that is supposed to be in there, seen minnows in the summer but that's about it.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM

Access from the north is possible through the houses, but only drive onto the ice, they like to tow people. Access from campground on the east side and also from the south side. You have a good 4x4 or all wheel drive or some good snow tires and chains you'll have no problem in the snow. Was about 8 inches of snow on top of the 15 to 20 inches of ice. The 2 pike we caught yesterday were all between 6 and 10 pounds. There were some blips that chased my large minnow for about 10 minutes before they went away. Perch or some small eyes perhaps. My largest pike is 33 pounds out of eagle. Set the hook, and nothing happened. Let the kid (who just turned 5 at the time) reel it in. He reeled like a madman, and then got slammed to the ground and dragged 4 to 5 feet, his face covered in dirt and rocks. His mom nearly killed me. Finished the fight after grabbing the rod, from him. (he didn't let go, must be a natural instinct. or just the grip of a 5 yr old.) took me 23 minutes to get it in on 8 pound test.
He is a question. Has anyone caught any with deformed fins or backs in eagle? Kept catching one with a kinked back, was the lucky fish, for every time we caught him/her, we caught tons of good 5 to 12 pound pike
Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM

There is a betr chance of growing back my cherry I think that getn a perch out of there

Old 12-29-2009, 02:46 PM

did see a dead perch on the shore a few years back, but it was on the south side of the lake, south of the berm.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 PM

Jeff, Have tried for the perch out there and just got p###ed off and went for the sure thing (snot rockets). I know they are there just cant catch the little buggers. Not sure what to do to get them. The water is a lot lower this winter, so should be easier to target (just need to put the time in, I guess) I will post a picture with a big a## smile on my face when, and if I nail one (doesn't matter what size).