Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-06-2016, 01:48 AM
Banned

Default Slight problem with accuracy...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UUEEV-WAB20

Just put the bipod back on tonight, and noticed this...

Haven't dropped or abused the rifle ever, I'm the 2nd owner (1st one didn't even fire 20rds) with under 200rds thru it.

It's a Model 14 American Classic, .243win with a DBM...

Gonna start the interweb search for dis/reassembly vids & exploded parts diagrams now, but how does this happen & how do I fix/correct it ?

* I plan on bedding the action soon anyway...

Old 01-06-2016, 04:33 AM
Banned

Barreled action loose in the stock:

Flip your gun belly up. Jiggle the barrel as you do in the video. Are the 2 action screws moving up and down in relation to the action?

The action screws are loose, because either they aren't torqued properly, or they are swapped front to rear.

Simply remove the action out of the stock noting which action screw is front/rear as they are not the same length & may be backwards.

With the action out, put the action screws back in the stock and note how much they protrude to engage the female threads in the action. Each should engage approx. 1/8" at least. If they are not backwards, it is possible that the threads are stripped, check that.

With the stock's innards exposed, look for cracks behind the recoil lug recess, action screw holes.

Check to see if the stud to which you attach the bi-pod protrudes too far up into the barrel channel making contact with the barrel.

In summary, I don't think that you are facing an insurmountable problem. But you will have to remove the barreled action from the stock and complete a thorough inspection of the barrel/action channel in your wooden stock. If the above tasks seem too daunting, take it to someone that can troubleshoot and repair. In fact, you mention wanting to have it bedded. If you get it done sooner than later, the problem should be readily identifiable, corrected and your gun is bedded.

Last edited by gitrdun; 01-06-2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:51 AM

If the task is too daunting, and you want the rifle bedded, just send a pm to the gentleman above, ^^Gitrdun^^, and he will get her done for you. He is in High River and does great work.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 AM

Not z big deal actually, the action screws are loose.
Could be they see nog tight enough to begin with.
Cat
Old 01-06-2016, 07:06 AM

When you take it apart, make sure to check to see there is not any oil anywhere down there too. Clean it up. If you don't have a torque wrench, tighten the screws "good n tight". If you want the very best accuracy, get it bedded, as you initially indicated.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Banned

Good n tight has different meaning to many. As you said torque wrench.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Good n tight has different meaning to many. As you said torque wrench.
And torque to what exactly gtr?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Banned

Default Come see me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There is no exact number, but I'm sure you will enlighten me. I try to tighten the screws evenly to 50 in #. Lots of variables that I can explain if you wish to come for a visit. Some things are better in person.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:15 AM

I am actually surprised that the screws managed to get that loose without being noticed sooner. Take the screws out, remove the barreled action, and clean the barreled action and the bedding area. Then reassemble and torque the action screws. With two action screws, and a wood stock, I generally torque the screws to around 35 inch pounds. If the rifle has the small screw at the front of the trigger guard, I just snug it up. With a quality fiberglass stock, or pillar bedding, I usually use about 45 inch pounds. If in doubt, you can contact the manufacturer for their recommended torque settings.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If the task is too daunting, and you want the rifle bedded, just send a pm to the gentleman above, ^^Gitrdun^^, and he will get her done for you. He is in High River and does great work.
X2 I've used gitrdun a couple times to fix, bed and add custom pillars to my rifle stocks, good man!

Kevin
Old 01-06-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
A complicated question with no easy answer

https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=..._for_Gunsmiths

Torqueing the fastener is often determined by the manufacturers recommendations
Old 01-06-2016, 09:18 AM

Come on guys, the OP hasn't disassembled a rifle. You think he is gonna run out and get a torque wrench? Not likely. Good n tight will be good enough in all likelihood for what he is looking for.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Come on guys, the OP hasn't disassembled a rifle. You think he is gonna run out and get a torque wrench? Not likely. Good n tight will be good enough in all likelihood for what he is looking for.
You are probably right but the best way would be to get a proper fitting screw driver and phone customer service. Ask for torque specs and borrow a torque wrench and do it properly. Maybe customer service has had problems before like this and there is a common cause that needs to be addressed.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Banned

The thing is about precise torquing is that it will never remain as initially set due to the expanding/ contracting nature of wood due to temperature and humidity fluctuations. Pillars of steel, aluminum or brass eliminate this problem. I see that John's stock wears an Accutrigger making it not overly old. His stock is likely fitted with factory pillars which would make me question how the action screws loosened if that is in fact the case. I know, I know...it's a Savage, but you must admit that the model 14 is a pretty nice gun, albeit a lefty... ☺

Edit: also curious to hear back from the OP is to what he found.

Last edited by gitrdun; 01-06-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, good n tight varies from person to person. I have seen damage resulting from some people's idea of what good n tight is. The Wheeler torque screwdrivers are not overly expensive, and quite easy to use.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Banned

gitrdun - thank you for your insight, I will definitely follow your suggestions. I was talking with SkytopB regarding him bedding my action, but he's up in RMH area. PM inbound... And you know, being lefty is somewhat of a curse & a blessing ! You're just jealous...

sns2 - your assumptions are just that, and I'm capable of more than you give me credit for. I've dis/reassembled a few P/A & semi-auto shotguns, built my own 7.5" AR-15 which ran flawlessly, had 2 lever-guns (Win 94 & Rossi R/H) I tore apart a dozen times, and tinkered around with a few rimfire rifles & even changed the stock on one (10/22). But every time I get into something new & want/need to take it apart and/or fix it, I always consult the respective forum to (hopefully) get 1st hand knowledge on the topic...

Everyone else, thank you for your replies.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unfortunately, good n tight varies from person to person. I have seen damage resulting from some people's idea of what good n tight is. The Wheeler torque screwdrivers are not overly expensive, and quite easy to use.
That would be kinda like the advice in post # 6 would it not.LOL
Old 01-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=J0HN_R1;3095900]gitrdun - thank you for your insight, I will definitely follow your suggestions. I was talking with SkytopB regarding him bedding my action, but he's up in RMH area. PM inbound... And you know, being lefty is somewhat of a curse & a blessing ! You're just jealous...

You're welcome John. I'm curious as to what you've discovered if anything other than a few loose screws.....I mean on the gun.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post

sns2[/B] - your assumptions are just that, and I'm capable of more than you give me credit for. I've dis/reassembled a few P/A & semi-auto shotguns, built my own 7.5" AR-15 which ran flawlessly, had 2 lever-guns (Win 94 & Rossi R/H) I tore apart a dozen times, and tinkered around with a few rimfire rifles & even changed the stock on one (10/22). But every time I get into something new & want/need to take it apart and/or fix it, I always consult the respective forum to (hopefully) get 1st hand knowledge on the topic...
Sounds like you've got her covered then. From your video it appeared you didn't know how to tighten an action screw.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Banned

According to the OP's post, the first owner hadn't even fired 20 rounds out of it. That seemed a bit odd to me. Why would one sell a gun after only 20 rounds or less if one didn't think that it had serious issues?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
According to the OP's post, the first owner hadn't even fired 20 rounds out of it. That seemed a bit odd to me. Why would one sell a gun after only 20 rounds or less if one didn't think that it had serious issues?
Heck, Ive sold guns I hadn't shot, let alone a few rounds!!
Cat
Old 01-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Yeah, but he ain't you either.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat

I have bought and sold some the same day. I can remember going to pick one up at WSS after waiting almost a year for it to arrive, and then making a deal with someone in the store. I went to the bank with the owner, he paid me, and he took it home instead of me.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:40 PM

Sold 2 brand new rifles within the last month, never fired either one.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post

He wanted a "bigger gun"... A caliber that would "take deer, moose, & elk".

I think he said .300 Win Mag.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Sold 2 brand new rifles within the last month, never fired either one.
You’re evil.

But that is not a bad thing.