Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Banned

I'm starting to think my tikka is kinda ugly all of a sudden.

This was its first day at that little private land range i was telling yall about...

And its best 3 shot of the day...obviously i can't do that everytime but i can keep 5 to about 1.5 pretty regular with this one so i'm happy with it for factory gun and ammo...the winchester 130 ball. silvertips would group there also fyi and the federal tsx's were close too but the fusions seemed the most consistant...it didn't like the 150 xp3 winchesters and hated the hornady 130 gr sst light mags(so did i!...ouch).

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 07-09-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:05 PM

Nuthin' ugly about a tikka laminate - EXCEPT for the flippy thingyy on the side!
Cat
Old 07-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Ultimate sheep Gun

Hi Stinky,
Last year I purchased a Rem 280 cal. Weatherby Ultralight, naked it weighs 5.3/4 lbs. I've got it topped with a Leupold 3.5 x 10 VX3 B&C scope. It's a great gun, light, tough and can stand to get a little rain or snow on it. I reloaded Barnes 3X 140 Gr. bullets. I'm very happy at the range and I'm sure it'll serve me for years and years. I saved $300 buying my scope on ebay and had it shipped up from the states.
Good luck with your quest to find the perfect rifle.....as for me I've found mine.
MM
Old 07-19-2007, 10:40 PM

I also have a weatherby ultralightweight in 280Rem. Have had it for 5 years or so and it is without a doubt the best rifle I have owned. it fits like a glove and can be packed all day. I have a 4X12 swarovski on it and am using 140gr hornady ballistic tips. I don't pick up any other rifles I own now.
Shoulder one of these puppies and you'll see.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
and am using 140gr hornady ballistic tips

no comprende!

Last edited by cmfic1; 07-20-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:00 AM

*Edited as the post I quoted was removed.

Last edited by Chet; 07-20-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Kimber

I hope to put my new rifle to the test this fall. Kimber 8400 Montana with 3.5x10 varxIII comes in at 6.5 pounds. Shooting 130 grain nosler partions I sighted in 2.5 inches high at 100 yards and it's dead on at 300 yards. After I knock my ram down I hope to use it for elk and deer.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:58 AM

bump
Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

omg, hilarious, a 3 year old thread, i've come a long ways, although i did kill a doe with a first round dial up with that tikka at 520 yrds

you really do need to get into the hills man, short notice and all but if you want to stretch your legs tomorrow and can set the alarm pretty early we might be able to work something out...send a pm if you wanna go

that or lay off the sauce a bit
Old 09-17-2010, 10:03 AM

What was that quote from the movie Jerimiah Johnson - "You've come a long way pilgrim"

3 years but still no RAM. However, a couple of good Mulies under your belt. I just went through the whole thread for the first time - highly entertaining. I'll keep you guessing but be careful what you say cause I'm watching..
Old 09-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
What was that quote from the movie Jerimiah Johnson - "You've come a long way pilgrim"

3 years but still no RAM. However, a couple of good Mulies under your belt. I just went through the whole thread for the first time - highly entertaining. I'll keep you guessing but be careful what you say cause I'm watching..
yeah i had a blast from past reading through that, that ole stick in the mud sheep hunter sure has come along way on the long range thing too , oh before best of the west days eh? too funny

so yup, start of season 4 after la ram, season one i learned i packed entirely too much crap up the mountain, season two i went on successful ewe hunt and packed half her out, season 3 i got my own ewe and packed her out solo one trip and was on two different groups of rams in legal huntable areas, one group no legals forsure and the other i messed up not knowing how to judge them properly so i really have come a long ways in the past 3 seasons, i got zero pre-season scouting in, i only when out there when i could actually hunt and i've averaged about 8-9 days a season since the start, i'm 2 days into this season....but this time i did take 2 days in summer to look around for stuff...so 4 days into this season, will see how it goes, i've done everything except pull that trigger on a ram and try and pack him out, hopefully something happens in the next few saturdays
Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Old thread, but interesting, lots of info., and a dose of "As the World Turns"..

I've read only a couple of pages, How does it end? Does Stinky get a sheep?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Banned

lol, it is funny to read back on all that, i was pretty intense about getting a sheep those first few seasons but now i'm much more relaxed, feel i know what i need to know to get it done and is really just a matter of getting time in the field now, may take a few years yet, not sweating this year too hard as a buddy got one last year so can't hunt this year, and i'd love to hike in somewhere for a week and i know he's going to be game for same thing so thinking if i don't score this year it will be awesome to plan a longer hunt with him next year...i've got a few more hikes to do this season yet
Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 AM

Default .308

Hey Stinky,
If you are thinking of a Kimber Montana why not a .308.Load 130 gr. Barnes triple shocks.I have used my Rem. 700 titanium with this load for sheep,elk and bear.Deadly combination.(You have seen first hand what it can do on big elk)Elk gross scored 365 and net 347.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Banned

wow, that was pretty awesome and yes, the 308 did heck of a job!

this thread is 3 yrs old before i started into the sheep thing and my tikka .270 wore a heavy laminate stock, so hiked first season with gun that way and burris ff2 scope with bp reticle, then overhauled it for the following season with synthetic stock and 3-9x33 ultralite leupold with elevation target knob installed and set up same as my current gun, took a whitetail doe at 521 yrds with that configuration on first round dial up and a buddy sitting right beside me watching etc.

so ultimately i chose the .270 wsm and the sako due to two main reasons, 1. tikka loyalty...i knew it was going to be accurate, 2. best factory ballistics, i didn't want to get into reloading if at all possible

other reasons helped like the sako was super light weight and the awesome triggers they have and i love detach magazines too, so it really had the most going for it for me, a bit more than the x-bolt stalker

i do however have a plan in mind to build a very similar rig as the guy who posted the 25-284 project here which is very similar to the RMR alpine extreme based on skeletonized rem 7 action/wildcat stock etc......and i would use Henry Rempel for the build and save money over buying an RMR etc.....but not sure on cartridge i will choose at the time, i can see that with reloading you could push standard short action cartridges to similar range capability as my current rig by using high bc bullets, but i won't do this super ultralight build without being able to dial up to similar ranges as my current rig....so i have to be ready to take on reloading when i have the gun built, and the 25-284 looks good but i'd probably look at 260 ai also, i'll want to stay closer to 1800-2000 fps impact velocity for as far as possible, i like sitting over a basin and know i can cover the majority of it if need too, same goes for my coyote hunting in big coulees etc. i love having the potential range capability for when they hang up across the valley

Your tsx combo rocked that elk and at pretty awesome distance too(420 i think you said), tough bullets but at the ranges i want to be able to shoot (twice that) i don't think it would have enough velocity to open up???? I could be wrong, have not looked up the bc of those....i've seen some over 500 stuff with accubonds and loved what i saw for damage/penetratration so i think i'll need to stay with softer bullets so they still open up at extreme distances...i will look into that 308 tsx combo though as your mentioned velocity was pretty awesome too...but pretty sure i've given up on the kimber montana idea to do a rem 7 custom build instead

smokin bull, glad to be apart of that!, congrats skinner

p.s. that build i mention is just in my head right now, its going to be a few years before i feel like trying that on, takes enough time to set things up between new rifles/bows etc. that i'm in no hurry to take on another project, still have two others in safe i haven't fully set up yet....arghhh....when i say it might be a few years before it go down that road it might be more like 10