Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 AM

Default Give me some ideas on getting land owner contact info!

I have a decent amount of permission in my target area this fall, and it will most likely be more than enough to fill my tag with a good buck. That being said there are a few chunks of land that I know hold good bucks and that I can't find any contact info for. Canada 411 doesn't have the info, unoccupied land, not farmed in many cases, the neighbors don't have the contact info or are unwilling to share for privacy concerns etc., or simply know the owner but don't have contact info.

I typically try and fill my permission binder with as much contact info as possible even if I don't intend to contact everyone. I'd rather have it at my fingertips than google search from my phone in spotty cell coverage if I happen to see an animal I want to take.

From what I understand a land title search doesn't provide a phone number or really much more information than the landowner map, and would start to add up on cost.

I've even looked for names on social media with very limited success.

Does anyone have any other wild ideas on tracking down some contact info?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:33 AM

I-hunter app and then purchase county or MD maps
It also lists grazing contacts when u hit on them with name and phone number for free
Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Hunter View Post

It also lists grazing contacts when u hit on them with name and phone number for free

It will give u the private owners name but no contact info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 11:03 AM

I understand what you are trying to do,,,, and I applaud you for wanting to know,,, but would you want your contact info readily available to hustlers, con artists, scammers and,,, camo clad rambos with guns?!!!!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
I understand what you are trying to do,,,, and I applaud you for wanting to know,,, but would you want your contact info readily available to hustlers, con artists, scammers and,,, camo clad rambos with guns?!!!!
I agree privacy issues are a real concern but there has got to be a way to determine how to contact a landowner, if only to leave contact info and have them return my call if permission was a possibility.

Invasion of privacy is not the intent, only the legal and respectful access to their land.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
I agree privacy issues are a real concern but there has got to be a way to determine how to contact a landowner, if only to leave contact info and have them return my call if permission was a possibility.

Invasion of privacy is not the intent, only the legal and respectful access to their land.
Again,,, I applaud on your effort and respect "your respect",,,,, but there may be a very good reason you cannot find that info,,, that is the landowners really don't want to be easily contacted for various reasons. If the land is farmed, (grazed or cultivated) the renter is considered a legal occupant.

Land agents run into this all the time. And they do the kinds of things you are already doing!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Hunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
It will give u the private owners name but no contact info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the two in conjunction with one another,ie;both the iHunter app for grazing lease including contact info,and county landowner which names the owner but not the contact info......however.....quite often as not,where there is a mix of both deeded and leased land,by comparing the 2 maps you can figure it out when you see the Mr Smith owns these 3 sections that id like to enquire about,and a Mr.Smith ALSO leases this adjoining 1/2 section next door, and BINGO,,,,there is his contact info.

In fact I work it the opposite way usually....if I find a large tract of leased land that I want to enquire about,i check the deed map as well,then when I call about the leased land Ill say "I notice you also have X many sections of deeded land,is it ok if I hunt there as well?' etc etc......but id doesn't have to be a large tract neither,sometimes youll find an isolated leased quarter on iHunter surrounded by deeded land and the same name.
anyhow,point being.....use the two tools together with one another to make the most efficient use of your scouting permission time.

Last edited by West O'5; 07-17-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:52 AM

Land Ownership Map

Check with the local county/municipality office. Some offer them online in .pdf format, others you have to go to the office and buy a physical map.

I have one for the zone I hunt in on the BC/Alberta border, and another for my home county. The home county one is online.

Not only does it show you the name of the owner, if there's a home on the property, it's indicated as well.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 AM

Exactly I've got a few quarters around my place I've been trying to get permission 4 years not fenced not posted not anywhere near a home quarter if someone does Noah way to how to get a hold of a landowner that would be great thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2018, 09:12 AM

Yes grazing lease information fairly easy to get they have a few sites it's the private landowners that's the hard part of trying to find who owns a quarter of land

Old 07-13-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Yes grazing lease information fairly easy to get they have a few sites it's the private landowners that's the hard part of trying to find who owns a quarter of land

I believe county offices have landowner maps. In a case where the land is owned by a numbered or named company, I have found contact information from the grazing lease they also own adjacent to the deeded land.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:03 AM

Yes I have the landowner maps on my ihunter app but when it just shows a name and no other quarters around yeah how do you know where to look

Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 AM

For what it’s worth, you’re sounding like you deserve to keep going down this path because your intentions are good and you deem yourself to respect the land owner, but at the end of this quest, the landowner may not appreciate the effort you put into finding them. Privacy is a safety thing. Respecting privacy may be the greatest respect you can show a landowner.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
For what it’s worth, you’re sounding like you deserve to keep going down this path because your intentions are good and you deem yourself to respect the land owner, but at the end of this quest, the landowner may not appreciate the effort you put into finding them. Privacy is a safety thing. Respecting privacy may be the greatest respect you can show a landowner.
Yes, that is a fair point as well, but impossible to know unless contact is made. I think I have exhausted all reasonable efforts so I guess I just need to hope the hunting gods are on my side and put the big boys on the land I have access to.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.