Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2021, 11:10 PM

Default Cold Ice Fishing Trip

So here is the story of what this pair of idiots did for fun on the weekend. Idiot number one is my brother, and idiot number two is yours truly. My brother decided he wanted to go to my cabin for the weekend, and invited myself to go along, mostly because its not smart to go out in the bush alone. The weather forcast was not too bad, highs of -22 to -24 C, cold but bearable. We managed to get on the road by Thursday afternoon, its about an hour and a half drive, then snowmobile from there. I had heard that the trail I would normally take was pounded out very bad, so we chose an alternate route that I'm slightly unfamiliar with. We arrived at the trail head, fired up the machines (no problem, loaded up and hit the trail).
Now, like i said, I was unfamiliar with this route, long story short, we took a wrong turn ( every Cutline in the area is packed and being prepped for plowing ). We went a few miles out of our way before I figured out where I went wrong. No problem, we backtracked and made our way to the cabin. It was much colder than we were expecting though. Made a fire, warmed the cabin and hunkered down for the night.
Friday morning, it was about -34, cold but the forecast said it would warm up. Neither sled would fire up. The Yam Phazer with electric start finally fired with help from a Booster Pack, the Bombi Sumit 800 needed some heat, I put a trouble light under the hood and wrapped it in an old Hudson Bay blanket I had. Was almost noon before we got both machines fired up.
So, off we went to find some fish, drilled a number of locations fairly close to the cabin, just looking for structure, finally after consulting a bottom contour map i decided on a spot. We shoveled a spot for the Ice Hut 6'x12', it was beautiful smooth ice. Drilled our holes and the freeckin lake puked up enough water to float a boat, we ended up standing in 3-4" of water (CRAP). So we moved and shoveled another spot fairly close to where I wanted to be, no overflow but also not quite the structure I wanted. We caught a couple fish, Pike and Walleye, nothing special. It was getting colder, we fired the sleds up every 1-2 hrs. Packed up for the night at about 10:00, headed for the cabin, not satisfied with our spot. Whipped up some speed burgers for supper then jumped into the Fart Sacks for a little sleep.
Saturday morning, still very cold ( cold, as in, I put a propane heater inside the outhouse to make it possible to sit down without sticking down). Same procedures with the sleds to get them running. Still not happy with our Ice Hut location. We eventually got mobile, poked around our ice hut for an hour or so, finally came to the brilliant conclusion that the fish must be on the other side of the lake. Brother was game for anything, so we packed everything up and made another move. (Have any of you tried to fold up a 6 man pop-up shelter when its less that -30 outside? Ya, its not going back in the travel bag....)
So, its 5-6 miles straight across the lake, I have a spot in mind. About 1/3rd of the way across, I feel my machine break the snow crust and drop into some overflow, my heart starts racing, I grab a mitt full of whatever left on the throttle. I kept it moving, not as fast as I would have liked, brother said it "looked cool", a crap storm of snow, ice, slush and water roostering up behind me. We hit a few large patches of overflow on the way across, but its all good, nobody died.
We shoveled over a spot I had marked on a summer trip as "Rockbed1", looked good, 4' of water under the ice, no overflow when we drilled. Spent the rest of the day and evening there. Again, we caught a few Walleye and Pike. Decided to wrap it up early, about 9:00, it was really freaking cold, -34, we had 2 propane heaters running in the shelter, a 10,000 and 3,500 btu units, just enough heat to make it bearable. I was feeling some concerns about getting back to the cabin, it was a full moon but cloudy and pitch black outside. We left everything in the shelter, warmed the sleds, and then followed our track home. Pretty sure that was the coldest ride of my life, little bit of frost bite under my right eye and numb fingers but I wasn't willing to slow down too much on the lake, I was defiantly not stopping.
Sunday, the forecast was for -22C and we woke up to -37C (You lie Weather Network). Again, same startup procedure on sleds. I finally get the Phazer running, I'm looking towards my brother (he pulled the recoil cord on his Sumit and the cord just stayed out, no recoil, very cold), the Phazer idled up beside me, quite a bit.... I glanced at the gauge cluster and an oil alarm was flagged up. Shut the Phazer off, start checking it out and find that there is an oil icicle running from under the skid plate, down to the snow. (Well that sucks). Now, I don't know much about 4 stroke snowmobile engines, but I do know they need oil, so I check the level. Not a drop of oil on the dipstick???? WTF. Started digging around my shed and found some 5W30 Synthetic. It was so cold I had to stand the oil bottle in a pot of hot water on the stove to warm it up enough to pour. Had to put 3/4 liter of oil into sled engine just to get level up to mid checkers on dip stick. Fired the Phazer back up and watched it for a while. Brother still fighting with his Sumit, has light under hood for heat and exhaust from generator directed under the blanket that's wrapped around his hood. Some oil is dripping from under Phazer skid plate as it continues to warm up. After another hour of messing around, we get the Sumit to start up. The Phazer stopped dripping oil, but I'm looking at it cross wise, as I still don't know why it was leaking at all to begin with. Its about noon now and I'm ready to throw in the towel and just head for the truck, the Ice Hut and most of what's in it belongs to my brother, it can stay right where it is as far as I'm concerned.... But, of course, brother wants to get his stuff. Im a little uncomfortable with this idea, as I'm not sure if there is an actual problem with the Phazer or not and I sure as heck don't want to blow an engine in a patch of overflow crossing the lake... That would pretty much be a death sentence at these temps. Brother convinces me to take a couple test runs with the Phazer, I cant find anything wrong with it so off we go. The blast across the lake was uneventfull, thankfully, although I did bring another warmed up bottle of oil with me inside my jacket. We fired up the heaters, warmed up, packed up the camp and made one last blast across the lake back to the cabin. No F's were given on my part, the slay was heavy and I wasn't stopping. Since you're reading this you are safe to assume we made it. Warmed up in the cabin again, repacked all our gear and headed for the truck. Nothing of note happened on the trail out, just a whole lot of bumpy trail. The truck actually started and we headed home.

The lower yellow dot is the truck. The upper yellow dot is the part we had to backtrack to find the correct branch leading to my cabin. The blue line low and to the left is the summer trail we had to link up to.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:14 PM

Photos around cabin on Saturday night after clouds moved away from the full moon. Shots taken at about 11:30pm. We had a single mantle propane light on in the cabin.

RD
Old 02-01-2021, 12:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Another adventure to talk about.....-30 anywhere just eats on ya over time...gear breaks and if something goes wrong it can get real serious real quick...but ya survived!!!!

Ohhh and ya have a out....dam brother!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-01-2021, 02:12 AM

Sounds a looks like a nice trip. -30, while cold is still manageable. Better that than being stuck inside an urban house.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:50 AM

Quite the adventure! Glad you made it back in one piece.

-30 can make even the most simple tasks seem tough.

Maybe you're going to need to build a little shed with a tiny wood stove to keep the sleds in overnight...
Old 02-01-2021, 09:03 AM

Wow your story sounds like the story of my life.

something just doesn't work all the time. Frozen or leaking lol

a snowmobile shed would be nice. Do they even make block heaters for them? i've never owned a sled before.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-01-2021, 09:44 AM

What a great report. Too bad it turned out so cold for you. Those night pics are awesome. Thanks for posting
Old 02-01-2021, 10:57 AM

Awesome story....you guys are brave!
Did you say 4fow..?
Old 02-01-2021, 11:14 AM

I still don't know why the Phazer puked its oil out, but it seems to be holding its level now. Ive never seen any sign of leaking before this trip.
Things that make you go "Hmmmm"
Old 02-01-2021, 11:17 AM

These picks were taken moments apart. The first is with the flash on, the second is with no flash. Both pics taken with Iphone 12.

RD
Old 02-01-2021, 11:25 AM

Cool adventure for sure.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:47 AM

Those are really nice pictures. I was out with some friends just mucking about on the ice showing them the LiveScope on Friday night watching the ISS go by in the sky. Clear full moon winter nights are the best.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
I still don't know why the Phazer puked its oil out, but it seems to be holding its level now. Ive never seen any sign of leaking before this trip.
Things that make you go "Hmmmm"
At those cold temperatures, my guess would be a differential of temperatures between two components of the engine somewhere. One component being hotter than another would cause it to expand more than the other, and could open up a clearance gap, and allow the oil to leak out.

I've seen it before in cars with the block and headers being made from dissimilar metals - heating at different rates.

But in your case - ripping across the lake through all that surface water, you could have been cooling something so that it was colder than the rest of the engine.

Once everything gets back to equal temperatures, the mating parts go back to fitting correctly and you'd never know - other than the oil or coolant being all gone.

Thanks for the story. I hate venturing out in the cold, and stuff isn't working right. Stresses me out.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:27 AM

Nobody died, no frozen body parts left behind... heading out again this weekend?
Old 02-02-2021, 09:10 AM

Awesome story...you guys sure didn’t give up easy, I’ve been sledding up in Inuvik looking for moose when the weather turned on us and went from -15 to -38 with wind which brings a whiteout into effect. I can’t stress enough how cooold two of us were as we tried desperately to find our way back in dark,whiteout,cold conditions..the story is in my book...so I’ll leave that right here...glad you guys got back with everything still in shape..including your own selves...Great story.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 02-02-2021, 11:10 AM

Sounds like a fun time! -30 plus makes equipment do funny things. Those pictures are very cool.

BW
Old 02-02-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Nobody died, no frozen body parts left behind... heading out again this weekend?
Lol, have to work.

RD
Old 02-03-2021, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
At those cold temperatures, my guess would be a differential of temperatures between two components of the engine somewhere. One component being hotter than another would cause it to expand more than the other, and could open up a clearance gap, and allow the oil to leak out.

I've seen it before in cars with the block and headers being made from dissimilar metals - heating at different rates.

But in your case - ripping across the lake through all that surface water, you could have been cooling something so that it was colder than the rest of the engine.

Once everything gets back to equal temperatures, the mating parts go back to fitting correctly and you'd never know - other than the oil or coolant being all gone.

Thanks for the story. I hate venturing out in the cold, and stuff isn't working right. Stresses me out.
I will try to keep an eye on it for now, you may very well be correct, thanks.

RD
Old 02-03-2021, 11:47 AM

Glad you both made it out in one piece.

Sometimes older tech is better seems 2 strokes tolerate the cold easier
My old Polaris Quad will start at-40 after sitting out in the open unprotected for days same with my old Olympic 440.

Now my hair has departed the old hair dryer has emerged as a good warm up tool works great on the Argo not so good on my Ranger not enough enclosure on engine. the old plug in, in car heaters are good too.