Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2021, 11:03 AM

Default Rookie Ice Fishing

Hey all, this is my first year Ice Fishing. I'm wondering what's the best bait and best way to fig up my lines. If anyone is willing to share some photos of how you set up your ice fishing rigs that would be super helpful as well.

Google has lots of info on rigs but I'd like to hear from locals who know from experience.

Thanks All
Old 02-04-2021, 11:05 AM

May we ask what kind of fish you're targeting?

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-04-2021, 11:18 AM

You will find everything you need on YouTube.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:26 PM

I started ice fishing this year as well and had luck with pike and walleyes. Let me I could start pointing you in the right videos and posts if you had an idea of where and what you wanted to target
Old 02-04-2021, 02:24 PM

What you are targeting makes all the difference as others have said from line weights, hook sizes, lure choice, spot selection, technique, bait etc.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:39 PM

Jay Siemens had a decent 10 part series on YouTube called "Complete Guide to Ice Fishing". Might be worth a watch. It covers lots as aspects to ice fishing for rooks. Actually a decent watch for anyone. Link to the playlist from his YT page below below. #8 is about lines/lures. He is in ONT though but should still work for AB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Q1..._pZrLoGuWqXdbX
Old 02-04-2021, 04:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
Jay Siemens had a decent 10 part series on YouTube called "Complete Guide to Ice Fishing". Might be worth a watch. It covers lots as aspects to ice fishing for rooks. Actually a decent watch for anyone. Link to the playlist from his YT page below below. #8 is about lines/lures. He is in ONT though but should still work for AB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Q1..._pZrLoGuWqXdbX
This and when you figure out the lake and species you want to go after let us know.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-04-2021, 05:30 PM

I'm thinking Big Lake or sturgeon River as they are close to me. I'm gonna fish for what ever I can get. I don't have a target fish yet
Old 02-04-2021, 06:17 PM

Both of those might be a little tough, not much water in big lake and ive only ever seen hammer handle pike come out of there in the early summer before weeds take over. Theres a couple stocked trout ponds up towards morinville that could be worth a shot, small jigs with your typical trout/perch bait. Bits of shrimp, powerbait, or small spoons like little cleos or nymphs. Other than that Devils lake is fairly close. cant go wrong with a minnow near bottom or a minnow tipped jigging spoon for pike and walleye.

Best of luck!
Old 02-04-2021, 09:26 PM

Pickerel rig, perch small worm small hooks, trout power bait and small hooks, walleye smelt and middle size hook, pike, large smelt and big hooks good for ice fishing. Also rig is cheep, use it,s a few times then throw it away and use a new one. Put bait on and drop it in hole Set on bottom and tight up line. Use a 1oz weight. I use spoons and other things but for a beginner perfect. Here comes the nonbelievers. Hope that helps
Old 02-04-2021, 10:17 PM

Perch and trout - Tear drop hook, small spoon. Sweeten with maggots or worms. Plain #8-6 hook with half a crawler on set lines.

Pike, walleye, burbot - Jighead and minnow, or spoon (1/4 - 1/2 oz sizes) baited with half a minnow. Use a minnow on #6 treble with as little weight as you can get away with on set lines.