Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2008, 02:11 PM

Default bighorn river, nordegg fishing

Gonna head up to the bighorn for some quadding and fishing for the weekend. anyone have any pointers on where to a go. would like catch a few on my new flyrod.

May look at camping in cresent falls, as the with needs a toilet. sheesh, women.lol

If you have any spots for me to quad and fish, I would greatly appreciate the assistance.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 PM

Hike upstream from the campground. Fishing is surprisingly good despite the pressure. If you head far enough upstream there is a smaller waterfall. If you are energetic you can scramble down the canyon below crescent falls. Cutties only above crescent falls and bulls, rockies, cutts and the occasional brown below. Good luck
Old 07-08-2008, 07:35 PM

thanks bud! I appreciate it. What flies would you recommend? Never caught a bull, brown or cutt before. I'm from ontario where we just used roebags to fish them in the great lakes ( big bows).
Old 07-09-2008, 04:06 PM

As long as water levels are good dry flies should work good. Try Adams, Humpys, Cahills, Elk Hair Caddis, Stimulators, and Royal Wulffs. If the water temps are cold due to higher waters or cold temperatures you may want a few bead head nymphs (hares ear and pheasant tail). Also bring a couple streamers like woolly buggers for the bull trout. Dries and nymphs should be size 10-16 and size 4 to 8 on the streamers.

If you do hike down to the canyon keep in mind that Crescent Falls has 2 sets of falls. Make sure you are far enough downstream to avoid both sets. Have a good trip and let us know how you make out.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:10 PM

appreciate the help bbell. Thanks for taking the time. is there a trail tat goes down to the bottom, or will we have to bush whack it?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 PM

Use caution as the canyon has very steep shale banks. Best way down is to follow the rim of the canyon until you find a game trail and follow that down. You will not be able to head down just anywhere. Also keep a close eye on the weather as climbing back out on the shale can be a little risky during heavy rains.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 AM
TundraBuck

That canyon looks unconquerable from the parking lot but it's not so bad getting in below the falls. There can be some great fishing in the Bighorn canyon, no fish above the falls though