Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2021, 07:10 PM

Default Drying Ice Shelter

Hi all. I picked up an insulated pop up shelter this year and was curious if it needs to be dried (set up in garage or basement) after each use? Or just when it gets really wet?

Mine gets a bit of condensation from heater, etc. and some snow when packing it up and I have just been leaving it in my unheated garage after use. Any recommendations??
Old 02-02-2021, 08:57 PM

At the least, at the end of the season, pop it up and let it sit in the sun with the doors open for an afternoon. Nothing worse than getting mold and mildew over the summer.

If you can, get it opened and dried out between trips. An iced up tent will tend to tear because it is frozen together. Then when you start trying to pull it apart, it breaks poles and rips fabric.

Drewski
Old 02-02-2021, 09:00 PM

My first tent didn’t smell good and last long so now I always open up and air out my tent now. So far I’m loving the fresh smell every time I open it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-02-2021, 09:09 PM

Default tent

Hi, I stand mine up in the corner of heated garage and open it up, not set up for few days. Most of the time its dry. I would not put it away wet. Then in spring set it up outside and make sure completely dry. 5 years and good
Old 02-02-2021, 09:14 PM

If I know I packed it up wet, I pull down the bag and let it stand and air out. I don’t set it up and this seems to work. End of season doesn’t hurt to set up and dry
Old 02-03-2021, 07:08 AM

Mine is in an unheated garage so I leave mine as is as it won't usually dry out, as said already be easy on it when opening up and don't force anything.
If it's in a heated garage, mold can start soon if it sits for awhile. I'd remove it from the bag at the very least and allow air to get at it to breathe/dry a bit.
I set mine up outside in the sun for a day at the end of every season prior to storage. No issues yet, sixth season with my current tent.....
Old 02-03-2021, 07:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I have packed it up frozen and have it not fit in the bag or at least I don't force it...I go out days later and pop it up slowly and don't force it...some warmer days -10 or less she dries out if colder she doesn't but no biggie cuz come spring it sits in the back yard in the sun +10 or so for the full day and then gets packed up properly for the next season....

Ohhh and forgot to mention it never is in a warm area at all over the season...she stays frozen or whatever the outside ambient temps are.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-03-2021, 09:52 AM

I take mine in the house between trips if its all frozen up. just makes it easier to set up when its dry. take my floor mats in as well so they arent all frozen together next trip.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-03-2021, 10:52 AM

I find if you just take the tent out of the storage bag and let it air out in the garage (heated or not) that keeps thing generally in order.

Give it a wipe down with wet rag at the end of season in the spring and let it dry out well in the back yard you'll be good to go.

I bought my one of my tents from the Fishing Centre (many moons ago) and I have had no issues with mildew, rot, or smell following this routine.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:01 PM

I don't have a garage or shed, so I store my tent in the basement - like a few guys have mentioned, I usually just take it out of the bag (or partially at least), and I've never had any issues with mold, mildew, or rot. It's usually the bottom part of my tent that gets wet, and that's the part that is at the opening end of my storage bag, so just taking the bag off is enough to dry it in most cases.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the tips all. Appreciated.