Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Devil's Lake

Anybody been out to Devil's Lake by Onoway. Planning on heading out there this weekend and just wondering what the ice has been like.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:10 PM

What's in Devil's?

It was brought up as a suggestion for the Edmonton area gathering but I have no idea what's in there!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Perch. Some big ones if you can find them. Pike. Nothing too big but heard stories up to 8-10 pounds.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 PM

Decent catch rate out there?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM

Whitefish too.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 PM

Can be good. Most times I've been out there it's decent. But just like any other lake it has it's slow times. Can probably catch 50-60 in a day. Maybe 10 keepers in that pile.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'EYE HUNTER View Post
Can be good. Most times I've been out there it's decent. But just like any other lake it has it's slow times. Can probably catch 50-60 in a day. Maybe 10 keepers in that pile.
Hmm...would you recommend it for a gathering? Good chance everybody would catch at least SOMEthing, keeper or not?

And will you be coming out (Dec 28)?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM

Might come out. Sounds like a good time. I would check the fishing calender though. Check what the moon phase is. Thought that used to be a joke, but the past couple years, I have become a believer and always check the fishing calender before I head out. I'm sure guys would catch something, whether it's a bunch of perch or some hammer handles. It's not that often you get skunked out there.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 PM

I recall moon phase coming up in conversation between BBJ and I, but I never did look into it...going to have to make a point of doing my homework on that soon

And pardon my ignorance, but where is Devil's Lake? Having a hard time finding it on a map

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 PM

West of Edmonton on Hiway 37. Just northeast of Onoway. From where I live it takes about 40 minutes from my house. It's right off the hiway, easy to get to.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
West of Edmonton on Hiway 37. Just northeast of Onoway. From where I live it takes about 40 minutes from my house. It's right off the hiway, easy to get to.
Cool, that sounds like a reasonable drive for most people

Still can't find it on Google Maps though

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 PM

Try this and see if it works.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=a...19383&t=h&z=12
Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 PM

Where you see Onoway, it's just to the right.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Ha! I looked at that exact spot, but I had it just in map mode, not satellite. I guess Google doesn't know everything after all!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-17-2009, 10:13 PM

Default Matchayaw

Devil's lakes real name is Matchayaw

no one uses it but its listed but its listed in the regs this way with Devil's lakes in brackets.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Izumi

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 AM

Remember one thing about Devil's..it is full of springs..I have fished it for over 30 years, even though i don't go much anymore because of the walleye-perch predation, but the springs are everywhere and they change position each winter.
It is probably one of the most dangerous lakes in the area to fish.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 PM

Default Devil's

I like Devil's as there is a lot of little jacks. It gives you lots of exersize running to all of the tipups! It is a good time. the northwest corner is good, but as they say there are springs so it is best to walk. I will not drive the dodge there, but that is ok because you can have a few drinks.