Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2018, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
they are a wonderful little rifle aren't they Grousehunter?

Mine is the same but in .22. I have bought a better scope for it, but haven't mounted it yet. I found the scope that came with it was great up close but zoom out and it was unable to focus.
The new one does not have that issue.
They are pretty good with the right pellets, I agree the scopes are not exactly great and if I owned a .22 I would definitely buy a better scope.

Which brand of pellets are you using?

Have you seen the hunting vids on You Tube? .22 do a great job on rabbits from a pretty good distance too!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 AM

I am still using Crosman destroyer pointed expanding which are grouping extremely well, 3 in the same hole last time I tried at 25 yards. I got them at Princess auto for $4.99/175 on sale.
I have a few bags of sample pellets from a great guy that I am hoarding until I get into the indoor range with a bench and the new scope.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am still using Crosman which are grouping extremely well, 3 in the same hole last time I tried at 25 yards. I have a few bags of sample pellets from a great guy that I am hoarding until I get into the indoor range with a bench and the new scope.
Sure cant beat "3 in the same hole" @25 yards, Great shooting man!

Have you tried grouse or rabbits yet?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:14 AM

I haven't, there are no grouse here and I am not a rabbit eater.
In the spring I will go clean up some gophers in the school and a couple farms.
Looks like I am going to have to go find some dog food, need some balck and white bird bait

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2018, 11:23 AM
Banned

Get a some bones with some meat on it, why would you to cheat them out of their last meal with dog food? lol
Old 10-22-2018, 11:57 AM

Bones don't have meat on them here when I am done with them

Old 10-22-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Very nice. I am sure liking the new rifle too! The magpies are sure thinning out. I am thinking next year the grackles are going to be cleaned out, as well as the sparrows.

I have been trying to find out legalities on using 'moderators' on air rifles here. From what I have found, it seems there is really nothing we can use. If I am reading it right the only real quiet air rifles are the very expensive to buy PCP units. The pump guns although very effective are far louder.
I almost bought a pcp but filling them looks like a real p.i.t.a.
I was doing some reading and according to guys down south the majority of noise you hear when shooting pellet guns are from the power plant not the pellet. Spring pistons will be the worst followed by nitro pistons, my .22 pcp doesn’t bark as much as yip but I can and will shoot it without hearing protection when i’m not at a range.

If you can get someone to shoot it while you’re standing off to the side and/or better yet in a safe location down range out of harms way to actually see how much noise it makes, the argument is that these are propelled by air and travel below the speed of sound so your target shouldn’t hear much noise but I didn’t find anything as to if they do or not.

I also imagine that velocity will also make a difference in noise as when I have shot my target pistol inside it doesn’t make much noise but it’s shooting around 400 fps.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:58 AM

Ken

I know this is a n old thread but if you can find some of these Gamos, they work great on pests. Very accurate, good penetration and very good expansion. Have used a lot of them on large Jacks and magpies, crows and gopehrs. Rarely do you have one run off.

H and M makes these Hornet pellets and they work great too.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 AM

I'm looking at getting one of these .22 1000 fps air rifles for my acreage (5acres). I'm wondering how loud they are? We have neighbors so I don't want to get reported for discharging a firearm.

I have 495 fps breakbarrel now and it's great but would love to have more power.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:33 AM

they are super quiet... nothing like a 22 rifle

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
they are super quiet... nothing like a 22 rifle

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
While mostly true, you have to make sure your pellet weight is such that you're not breaking the sound barrier, or you'll sound like a .22

This is useful, given you know the energy of your rifle.

http://www.airguns.net/trajectory.php
Old 10-23-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
While mostly true, you have to make sure your pellet weight is such that you're not breaking the sound barrier, or you'll sound like a .22

This is useful, given you know the energy of your rifle.

http://www.airguns.net/trajectory.php
True but unless you’re using a pcp that’s typically not an issue, the advertised velocity is nearly always exaggerated and light weight alloy pellets are used. Usually a .22 with average weight lead pellets (14.3 grain) should give around 800 fps +/- 50 fps depending on brand with spring pistons/nitro pistons.

Besides even if you have an airgun that can break the sound barrier it will have too much turbulence on the pellet to get any meaningful accuracy.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Ken

I know this is a n old thread but if you can find some of these Gamos, they work great on pests. Very accurate, good penetration and very good expansion. Have used a lot of them on large Jacks and magpies, crows and gopehrs. Rarely do you have one run off.

H and M makes these Hornet pellets and they work great too.

I tired them out of my rifle ZERO ACCURACY! Just like some rifles like certain ammo, pellet rifles like certain pellets. My rifle hated them. They look cool though
Old 10-23-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseHunter View Post
I tired them out of my rifle ZERO ACCURACY! Just like some rifles like certain ammo, pellet rifles like certain pellets. My rifle hated them. They look cool though
22 cal or .177?

Old 10-23-2018, 03:03 PM
Banned

.177 Crosman Nitro Venom
Old 10-23-2018, 03:05 PM

Do you still have them? I wouldn't mind trying them in the old Slovak

Old 11-07-2018, 03:55 PM

The airguns are really cool, I ended up with a very nice Benjamin pump .25 that I have been sighting in and a Hatsan pcp .25.
I am just waiting on the scba tank adapter, but reviews on it look good.
I also grabbed a couple new scopes from MGO, which closes in 11 days if anyone needs anything. It is getting pretty thin in there. There is 1 Hatsan left, 50% off.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:07 PM

If you like airguns checkout this guys videos. Pest problems solved.
https://www.youtube.com/user/EdgunUSA
Old 11-08-2018, 08:23 PM

Default 22 cal pellets

Quote:
I went into MGO Lloydminster and the pellet rifles are 20% off, went home with a Crossman Nitro Venom .22 950fps for $175. Shoots decent, last 3 were same hole at 25 yds, sure it will be a good feeder.
There aren't a lot of places to find .22 cal pellets in Lloyd, and the prices reflect it.
Anyone seeing any deals on bulk 'hollow point' pellets?
Hi Ken, I have a 22 cal pellet rifle(remington) 1250fps. I purchase the silver tip with the red butt pellets at Princess Auto They are very accurate but pricy. Hav shot crows /magpies 75-100 ft with ease
Old 11-08-2018, 09:28 PM

I have looked at them, haven't tried yet. Maybe I will grab a tin tomorrow. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2018, 10:10 PM

Well, MGO is gone but I grabbed a couple more very nice rifles and scopes. I bought a pump Benjamin .25 cal and a Hatsan PCP .25 cal. The Benjamin is a great shooter, and I am waiting for the SCBA adapter hose for the Hatsan, haven't tried it yet.
If anyone has some 'higher end' air rifles for sale, PM me please. These are cool, I like the hobby.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:45 PM

With spring and more magpies starting to show up, I bought a new 4500 psi compressor from a place in Calgary. Had to buy hydro oil for it, had to plumb in water cooling, had to get an adapter to fill my SCBA tanks,

and the motor is nfg, right out of the box.

Can't win. I hope I do not have to cover shipping back for a broken brand new pump.

Soon little holstein birds, soon.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:22 AM

iF YOUR ABLE TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK ,ON THAT COMPRESSOR.GIVE AIRGUNARCHERY.CA A TRY. WES HAS BROUGHT IN A COMPRESSOR ,THAT IS VERY GOOD CALLED A WARRIOR 1 IMO ALSO GREAT GUY VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE....
Old 04-06-2019, 12:47 PM

Got it working. Theres a lot of draw, tou can not use an extension cord. Up to 1200 lbs on first tank test going to 2000

Old 04-06-2019, 01:23 PM

Default Pellet rifle

I don’t think I would try it with a newer pellet gun, but an old springer might be fun to play with.
Google ( deiseling a pellet gun)
Old 04-06-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Got it working. Theres a lot of draw, tou can not use an extension cord. Up to 1200 lbs on first tank test going to 2000
I’m glad you got it working Ken, I was wondering if you’d ever get to shoot that hatsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
I don’t think I would try it with a newer pellet gun, but an old springer might be fun to play with.
Google ( deiseling a pellet gun)
If you wanted to wreak it go ahead...
Old 04-10-2019, 11:08 AM

Got home from SoCal ... nice to see the snow gone & some green grass, went out to the buddy's farm to do some plinkin .... got my first mating pair of 2019 Holstein's, that's 36 to date.

D.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:08 PM

I finally got the PCP out and tried a few dozen shots.

It is going to be fun for sure, I am getting about 40 shots before I need to top up, and it only takes 15 seconds with the new pump. Cool unit.

Pellets are definately going to be key, the accuracy is nothing like the Viper yet, but I am sure I can dial it in. In the next few days I will start trying some of the bags of pellets you sent me.

I tried the Benjamin .25 today too, it seems to be half the speed of the pcp- man that thing has snap!

Pics and measurements if/when I get some groups and find a pellet that likes these guns.

Too much fun!

Old 09-07-2019, 11:56 AM

That’s good to hear Ken, I get about 35 usable shots from my s410 tdr and my Artemis Cr600w and I was getting maybe 20 from my marauder. I had installed a new high performance valve in my marauder but it developed a leak, so i’ve got a new seal kit waiting for me at home and some days off so i’ve got some fun times ahead. Also I picked up some new .22 cal pellets you may like, check out jsb hades. If you’re inclined a couple of Canadian suppliers brought in airgun slugs, if you had the desire to push your hatsan to the limits.

Quote:
I finally got the PCP out and tried a few dozen shots.

It is going to be fun for sure, I am getting about 40 shots before I need to top up, and it only takes 15 seconds with the new pump. Cool unit.

Pellets are definately going to be key, the accuracy is nothing like the Viper yet, but I am sure I can dial it in. In the next few days I will start trying some of the bags of pellets you sent me.

I tried the Benjamin .25 today too, it seems to be half the speed of the pcp- man that thing has snap!

Pics and measurements if/when I get some groups and find a pellet that likes these guns.

Too much fun!
Old 09-07-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
That’s good to hear Ken, I get about 35 usable shots from my s410 tdr and my Artemis Cr600w and I was getting maybe 20 from my marauder. I had installed a new high performance valve in my marauder but it developed a leak, so i’ve got a new seal kit waiting for me at home and some days off so i’ve got some fun times ahead. Also I picked up some new .22 cal pellets you may like, check out jsb hades. If you’re inclined a couple of Canadian suppliers brought in airgun slugs, if you had the desire to push your hatsan to the limits.
I admit it has been a while since I brought out the airguns, finally had a chance and nice weather the same day.

I am thinking the Benjamin is going to end up in someone else's house, once you shoot that PCP it is tough going back to a pump gun, as nice as it is.

Interesting looking pellets, interesting price too wow!!

I really need to do some grouping. Maybe tomorrow if I get the transmission out at a decent hour.