Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 08:57 PM

Default Alberta crime

Found this interesting yet not surprising since Alberta was most effected by the downturn...... 7 out of 10!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2018, 08:58 PM

Old 11-05-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post

The Alberta advantage. Lethbridge is the one that surprises me most. Have the Hutterites gone rogue?
Old 11-05-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
The Alberta advantage. Lethbridge is the one that surprises me most. Have the Hutterites gone rogue?
“Safe” Injection site is a family attraction.

LC
Old 11-05-2018, 10:25 PM

I would like to see the stats before the ndp government came into the scene. Noticed a real change in people's attitudes after fort mac fires, oil patch gettin a kick in the nuts etc. Probably shouldn't be talkin political stuff but when you don't hear from your leader for months at a time it doesn't give anyone much hope and as they say desperate times call for desperate measures. I love alberta it's served me well but the change in crime and respect for one another has done a 360 agreed.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:51 PM

Lethbridge worse than PA? Have trouble believing that one, having lived in both cities. Been a while since I lived in AB, guess things are changing??

PA and Battleford are REALLY rough, and to jump ahead of either in a crime stat is not good at all.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:21 PM

The stats are for % change increase in crime in the last five years, not which city as the highest aggregate crime.

Battlefords are still #1.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:50 PM

Many angry Albertans right now. I have a feeling once the PC’s sweep Alberta we will have many relaxed albertans.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:55 PM

It's the result of exclusion by Shiny Pony... :P
Old 11-06-2018, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
The stats are for % change increase in crime in the last five years, not which city as the highest aggregate crime.

Battlefords are still #1.
The title of the article indicates that and it was also my initial thought so I figured that i’d Read the whole article.

https://www.macleans.ca/society/cana...gerous-places/
Old 11-06-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The title of the article indicates that and it was also my initial thought so I figured that i’d Read the whole article.

https://www.macleans.ca/society/cana...gerous-places/

There you go. Lots of bad places getting worse according to both articles.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:01 AM

More money devoted to fighting rural crime seems to be having a positive effect in decreasing it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4426119/r...cmp-reduction/
Old 11-06-2018, 07:39 AM
Banned

Order out of chaos.

This could all be fixed over night if the right incentive was offered.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Order out of chaos.

This could all be fixed over night if the right incentive was offered.
What might your solution to crime be?
Old 11-06-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Shoot them all and let god sort it out.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Start by fixing our catch and release legal system. Watch the news, and the vast majority of criminals are repeat offenders. If they are in jail, they can't keep committing crime after crime. As for firearms crimes, look how many criminals that are caught already have firearms prohibitions. The courts just extend the prohibitions, but they are caught again and again with firearms. Meanwhile, the government puts more restrictions on law abiding firearms owners.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Start by fixing our catch and release legal system. Watch the news, and the vast majority of criminals are repeat offenders. If they are in jail, they can't keep committing crime after crime. As for firearms crimes, look how many criminals that are caught already have firearms prohibitions. The courts just extend the prohibitions, but they are caught again and again with firearms. Meanwhile, the government puts more restrictions on law abiding firearms owners.
Nailed it.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Crime has been dropping for the past 40 yrs or so, so something has been working. Perhaps the "catch and release" process is in fact being tightened up.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil1010 View Post
Shoot them all and let god sort it out.
You shoot them, their friends/family shoot you, your friends/family shoot their friends/family. Ya, that'd probably work out just fine.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Simple, 1st we need a giant spot light, next we carve out a stencil of the Batman symbol, then when thing's go wrong we point it up to the sky and turn it on,the rest should take of itself.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Simple, 1st we need a giant spot light, next we carve out a stencil of the Batman symbol, then when thing's go wrong we point it up to the sky and turn it on,the rest should take of itself.
Like the economy!!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:53 AM

It’s not as easy as just “throwing them in jail.” The jails are full. The need is for more jails. Something I wouldn’t mind being taxed for. I’d rather be taxed to get this done instead of watching my tax money fund some of the outrageous projects it’s currently being used for. Smh.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
<---- This

The cops have dealt with most of the baddies repeatedly. Yesterday there was a CPS Facebook post about a pedo they caught who was literally trying to lure kids with candy and a cliche backstory of looking for a pet or something like that. The perp wasn't caught on site but rather by profiling and their description being compared to known perverts who weren't currently locked up.

There are some deviances that just can't be fixed with any amount of counseling or medication, the only positive cure is interrupting the offenders oxygen consumption.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

There are some deviances that just can't be fixed with any amount of counseling or medication, the only positive cure is interrupting the offenders oxygen consumption.

My new favorite post for today.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Crime has been dropping for the past 40 yrs or so, so something has been working. Perhaps the "catch and release" process is in fact being tightened up.
Take a look at the rural crime rate for Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba over the past five years.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:56 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/4349313/a...me-stats-2017/

Quote:
The severity of crime went up in Alberta in 2017, according to new data released by Statistics Canada Monday.

The province’s Crime Severity Index (CSI) rose in 2017, with a CSI of 110.1, or up 4.9 per cent.

The crime rate went up 3.6 per cent, or about 8,478 criminal incidents per 100,000 people. This continues an upward trend in severe crime since 2014.

The CSI is a measure of the volume and severity of crimes reported to the police, such as homicides and assaults.

“The CSI takes the crime rate and treats the more serious violations with more weight,” said Mary Allen, senior analyst with Statistics Canada.

The CSI differs from the crime rate, in that the crime rate measures the amount of crime reported to the police per 100,000 population. The data covers Canada’s census metropolitan areas, which are cities with a population of 100,000, with at least 50,000 living within the core.

Edmonton continues to deal with the highest severe crime in the province, with a CSI of about 112. This is an increase of five per cent from 2016.
https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/ri...problem-report

Quote:
Alberta is not alone in its battle against the growing problem of rural crime, according to a report released by Statistics Canada.

Alberta has seen rural crime increase 38 per cent higher than urban crime in 2017, while Manitoba (42 per cent) and Saskatchewan (36 per cent) are plagued by the issue.

“Almost half of crime in Canada’s rural areas occurred in these three provinces, which accounted for about a quarter of Canada’s population served by rural police services,” the report stated.

The report cites high rates of property crime ravishing Alberta, something Trevor Tychkowsky, past-president of the Alberta Rural Crime Watch Association, is all too aware of.

“It’s been on the rise for quite some time now — too often people are talking about the crimes, but well after the fact,” he said of the rural crime that sees the association assist RCMP.

“Each local crime watch association is responsible to each detachment. We are trying to educate people so they are locking up their stuff, properly identifying stuff . . . putting out our signs, showing people any way we can to deter the crime.”

While the three provinces show the highest increase, nationwide numbers show a 30 per cent overall increase, with 6,581 incidents per 100,000 people occurring in rural areas versus 5,082 in urban areas.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:00 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Unhappy

geographical location of Cold Lake will indicate the problems that are.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
geographical location of Cold Lake will indicate the problems that are.....
More so it’s a transient town.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Found this interesting yet not surprising since Alberta was most effected by the downturn...... 7 out of 10!

Coincidence that Maskwacis is just down the road ?

Grizz
Old 11-06-2018, 06:41 PM
Banned

Majority of these community’s are riddled with troubled aboriginals. Last time I was in cold lake I had my fishing gear stollen from the back of my truck as we ate lunch in town.