Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 PM

Default Anyone willing to teach a guy to glass bed a stock???

I live in Edmonton and want to learn how to glass bed a stock. I've watched the videos on youtube, and read a number of the articles on doing it yourself, but would feel much more comfortable being shown / supervised by someone who has done it at least a few times and knows what they are talking about.

Anyone willing to help out? It would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:29 AM

Its really not that hard. The best way to learn is to jump in feet first. Just use enough release agent, and really take your time on this step. The worst thing you could do is glue your gun together. If it turns out not not so good you just grind it out and start over. To build some confidence try it on an old 22 that you don't really care about and when you are done that you will see there is really nothing to worry about. Other than that, buy a kit, Accraglass green box is about the easiest to work with.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 AM

If I have learnt anything doing bedding jobs it is that Kiwi Neutral shoe polish is BY FAR the best release agent I have used.

The release the agent that came in the Miles Gilbert Bedrock kit is by far the worst and went 3 for 3 ripping up the epoxy and hardly releasing at all! Just FYI...

In fact I was not impressed with the Bedrock kit but got the impression the one I got was very old and the chemicals were `deteriorating`. I would like to find to Devcon - most guys rave about it.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Default A great resource on how to glass bed a rifle

I found this link super helpful.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=1167022

I followed the instructions and have bedded three rifles -- cut my average group size with facotry ammo from about 1-inch down to 1/2 to 5/8 groups depending on the rifle/ammunition combination.

Good luck! It is fun.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Google is your friend. There are some sites that give step by step instuctions.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM

Kayaker - Dvcon can be bought at Acklands. It is far and away the best bedding compound currently available. If you mail order from the US you can get it for abbout 1/2 including shipping. I order mine from MSC Inductrial Supply in the States. Others sell it a little cheaper but MSC will ship US parcel post and the cheaper shipping offests the price difference. Works out to half what Acklands sells it for and I order 2x1 lb cans at a time as the shipping cost is the same for one or two.

SNS2 - I am in Calgary but if you want to do one and can't find anyone closer, PM me. Maybe we can set something up. It only takes a couple of hours max to do one from scratch.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the Devcon t Acklands!