Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Non-issue with anchor set up...and the Port Edward tip is great! Also knowingbthat even if the weather is trying to make things difficult, then there are still viable options! Thanks!! Hopefully 58th is taking notes...especially on the anchor part...cause that gonna be his responsibility!!....lol
In a southeast blow coming out of Port Ed can help. Usually decent Coho action at least in the Humpback area. Some of the bigger Halibut I've seen can be had in Edye Pass so that's fairly accessible as well. Just be well practiced in anchoring in 250' to 350' of water.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Non-issue with anchor set up...and the Port Edward tip is great! Also knowingbthat even if the weather is trying to make things difficult, then there are still viable options! Thanks!! Hopefully 58th is taking notes...especially on the anchor part...cause that gonna be his responsibility!!....lol

Spot lock baby!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-01-2024, 09:26 AM

The only way to go is spot lock. no lifting heavy anchor and storing hundreds feet of rope
Old 03-01-2024, 06:55 PM

Would be curious to see how Spot Lock would work in a 10kt wind, 3kt current with a 3' sea. I couldn't imagine the fuel being burned as the engine tried to keep it on "spot"

Or does this only work on electrics?

Cheers

SS
Old 03-02-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
Would be curious to see how Spot Lock would work in a 10kt wind, 3kt current with a 3' sea. I couldn't imagine the fuel being burned as the engine tried to keep it on "spot"

Or does this only work on electrics?

Cheers

SS
This baby would be the ticket to stay on a spot but everything has its limits.

When it gets too ruff ya head to the leeward side of an island and salvage the day that’s why I like to fish areas with the option of open ocean/water and islands, bays etc for shelter if required.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:49 AM

When on spot lock and the minnkota prop keeps popping out of the water its to rough to fish. It to go in or find a sheltered place
Old 03-02-2024, 10:07 AM

Default Minn Kota Riptide Instinct Quest-Series Trolling Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This baby would be the ticket to stay on a spot but everything has its limits.

When it gets too ruff ya head to the leeward side of an island and salvage the day that’s why I like to fish areas with the option of open ocean/water and islands, bays etc for shelter if required.
Minn Kota Riptide Instinct Quest-Series Trolling Motor.....pricey but game changer....36v, proper length of shaft for the boat, 115lbs of thrust, made for boats over 25'....

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/minn...trolling-motor

Old 03-02-2024, 12:39 PM

Kind of been looking over the lowrance ghost...120lbs of thrust on a 36v system and a 60" shaft...never seen one, or heard of anyone running them...kinda like Scotty vs Cannon I guess. I have all Lowrance electronics so it would make it easier for tracks/sonar/and other controls and features. Just isn't Saltwater warranted, but you can get a sacrificial anode prop nut for brackish water....brackish can mean anything from 0-100% Saltwater. So since it's just a week or so a year in salt and getting a good fresh water wash down after...should be fine!

Last edited by thorne; 03-02-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Kind of been looking over the lowrance ghost...120lbs of thrust on a 36v system and a 60" shaft...never seen one, or heard of anyone running them...kinda like Scotty vs Cannon I guess. I have all Lowrance electronics so it would make it easier for tracks/sonar/and other controls and features. Just isn't Saltwater warranted, but you can get a sacrificial anode prop nut for brackish water....brackish can mean anything from 0-100% Saltwater. So since it's just a week or so a year in salt and getting a good fresh water wash down after...should be fine!
Hmmm hopefully a 60" shaft will be enough length, just gotta see how high out of the water the front of your boat sits, in waves it might have the motor come out of the water periodically making it hard to track or stay locked on.

we got a 60" for the pontoon but didn't get the trolling motor until I could wrap my head around the install and proper shaft length. Talked to Samsteele member on this site for advice etc and set us up properly with our Minn kota trolling motor, battery's, charger etc all professionally installed at Barry Jays and Rainbow marine sales and service. Not sure if they carry Lowrance but might be worth checking out.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:48 PM

Ya I have the good people at Recreational Power Sports doing a Crap Load of research for me....lol...I dropped it off there after the Death Run back from Ottawa during the Polar Vortex in Jan...I gave then a huge wish list and just waiting for them to figure it all out and give me the "Can do!" And the " Ya dude...That's not gonna happen..." results...lol. I don't mind, and enjoy doing some stuff....but I'm past the Spending hours and hours Micky Mousing stuff. I would rather drop it off...pay the pros....pick it up and enjoy the results of someone else's hard labour...lol. Besides...if it goes sideways...that's on someone else!
Old 03-09-2024, 12:39 PM

Default Stay in Terrace and fish Rupert or Kitimat

We usually go and stay in the Terrace area. Decent camping or hotels and you can be in Rupert in an hour and Kitimat in 40 minutes, we usually fish both plus you can get in some river fishing as well.
Rupert is usually better ocean fishing and has a good government launch with parking. Head outside the first barrier islands to fish around Lucy or Dundas Islands. Lot of good action for bottom fish or salmon.

For Douglas Channel launch at MK Bay Marina and run out from there. Lots of good action for salmon but bottom fish take a bit more effort but better for crabbing and prawns.

Ling cod is from Rupert, Halibut is from Kitimat.

Send me a message and I can help you out. I am in Spruce Grove but spend a lot of time in that area for work and fishing.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Brown View Post
Nice!!! Weather doesn't look bad either
Thanks for the pics.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:23 AM

That's what I'm talking about! Couple of Ling like that would make it all worth it...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Brown View Post
We usually go and stay in the Terrace area. Decent camping or hotels and you can be in Rupert in an hour and Kitimat in 40 minutes, we usually fish both plus you can get in some river fishing as well.
Rupert is usually better ocean fishing and has a good government launch with parking. Head outside the first barrier islands to fish around Lucy or Dundas Islands. Lot of good action for bottom fish or salmon.

That's what I'm talking about...lol...couple of Ling like that would.make it all worth it!

For Douglas Channel launch at MK Bay Marina and run out from there. Lots of good action for salmon but bottom fish take a bit more effort but better for crabbing and prawns.

Send me a message and I can help you out. I am in Spruce Grove but spend a lot of time in that area for work and fishing.

Old 03-15-2024, 06:55 PM

I'm willing to chat about some off the beaten path places. I spent a few summers guiding and deck handing for OBMG on the coast.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:14 AM

I have an old Crab trap I'd part with , cheap. I also have a bunch of charts for QCI & Rupert.
I also have some gear for the chuck I'd part with....

Visit me this spring/summer ?
Old 03-18-2024, 06:52 PM

https://youtu.be/0cTPalRcKLc

New Video from Ucluelet last summer with the Family. Man I love the west coast! Take care and have fun this summer.

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 04-02-2024, 08:37 PM
AO Sponsor

I believe N A V I O N I C S will be a great friend for all who fish the bottom! Obviously sonar, radar would be an asset too for those rare fog bank daze and those dirty little black rocks that barely stick out

Lotsa great places to fish, infinite… some incredible bottom fishing to be had out there. If you have lots of money, pay for a few offshore bottom fishing trips and you’ll have an idea of where to go and what to do. Ask guides lotsa questions, and definitely find friendly guides… by asking around of course. Probly other goodest thing or goodest thing yet, find a buddy boat or two to hunt with, especially to go offshore, then you are each others lifeline when trouble comes knocking. This site is a great place to find buddies… even buddies with ocean boats! Then there’s the compatibility challenges! Hmmm… no advice there!

I got no boat, so I go with charters, once a summer for sure, ideally twice! Always want to buy one, but always find ways to deplete my dollars. Been too stuck up to finance one, mind you my conjugal partner not a big fan of lill Marty’s ocean boat buying fantasies and related.

Different runs of salmon all summer all over the place. Northern runs seem waaaay ahead of southern runs. Up north Chinook slows early Aug but down south some runs just heating up Sept 3. Pay attention to retention limits. I haven’t fished Rupert since Covid over, did go during tho! But non-retention totally for part of season, and only limit one for other part, possibly two when no fish around? Heard stoopid numbers of Chinook last year up there, and year before too, like stoopid as in not warranting the closure, like stoopid numbers of Chinook being caught…. sounds very fun tho, but I’d feel a little bad turning some of them fish loose that I just beat the frick outta… specially the bleeders. Such a fun fish too…powerful creatures… just can’t let the guide tighten the drags down too much, let ‘em run a little… they like that! No not the guide, the fish!
North island quits earlier than South Island too, Chinook wise. So haven’t fished PR long time cuz of non-retention. I hear you can’t hide from a NW wind there???

Pink and coho swarms in late July up north, would be fun on light tackle but charters always running heavy rods for Chinook… kinda kills these fine fish, even a pink can be very fun at times… we so spoiled as we stick our noses up in the air over a pink. I never found pinks in my excursions on the outside of the island, not even many coho, but just missing them, found the coho in the inlet at WH once, guide hated the wind and took us in, lucky we had our pike gear that day.

Had I known what the coast had when I was 18…❤️❤️❤️❤️

Salmon… think points - wherever the mob is driving around in circles, lotsa good shoreline trolling too. Guys that know the ocean troll valleys and the big banks too, but I’d leave that for the heroic!

Halibut humps… as in deep ugly mud bottom and big humps? Cut a half frozen pink in half daily lengthwise and juice it heavy with oil on the first rod then gob of herring and garbage on each other line. Salmon bellies??? Against my religion!!! salmon belly for the fat man… smoked and salted proper! Always hit Hali’s too when jigging for them junkyard dawgs in the rough country.

Lingcod pinnacles and cliffs. Get into the back country and they very violent!!! If fishing barely legal lingcods inshore, throw the jigging rod away and pull out your pike rod and ENJOY!!! Rockfish too… such fun!!!

Rockfish rocks…. And pinnacles and cliffs…. Just look for where the lings are feeding on them! Actually they everywhere, no idea why it has to be a 3 rockfish limit except close to town. There trillions, more rockfish than US dollar debt once you out there. Do get your depth descender devices to release, just don’t fish too deep or looks like their heads gonna explode, and nothing gonna help those. I HATE SEEING A TRAIL OF RED ON THE WATER!!!!!!

Hmmm…. West coast fishing…. Idolatry…. Definitely synonymous!!! Beware!!!

Last edited by Marty S; 04-02-2024 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:11 AM

Well...if that isn't a boat load of info, I don't know what is!! Great stuff, Thanks!!