Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Abandoning his stranded all-terrain vehicle might have led to the death of a northern Alberta hunter.

By KEVIN CRUSH, SUN MEDIA

Abandoning his stranded all-terrain vehicle might have led to the death of a northern Alberta hunter.

David Auger, 28, was found dead Wednesday northwest of Red Earth Creek, which is approximately 350 km north of Edmonton.

The hunter, from the small native community of Loon Lake, went hunting on Oct. 20 to a cabin in the heavily wooded area. The next evening his family got a call from Auger telling them he was lost but that he was going to make his way to a road.

He made a second call to the family on the morning of Oct. 22 and said his cell phone battery was losing power.

A search party of Fish and Wildlife officers, Mounties and around 100 people from the communities of Loon Lake and Red Earth Creek was put together.

On the evening of Oct. 23 rescuers found his abandoned quad which had become stuck. His body was found the next afternoon not far from the quad - just 500 metres away from a road.

Merv Purschke, owner of Buck Mountain Outfitters, said if you're lost, stay where you are.

"You're asking for trouble. You've got to stay with your machine (quad) and light a fire," said the guide of 20 years.

An autopsy is scheduled but Auger is believed to have died from exposure.

From talking to the family, Red Earth Creek RCMP Sgt. Duncan MacInnis said it appears Auger was not a seasoned hunter.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Nationwide

Quote:
From talking to the family, Red Earth Creek RCMP Sgt. Duncan MacInnis said it appears Auger was not a seasoned hunter.
Truely a sad Story even if he wasn't a seasoned hunter how perpared was he !When he left his home

Quote:
The hunter, from the small native community of Loon Lake,
He must know when day turns to night how quickly it can get cold .I would think you wouldnt leave home without knowing a few basic's especially up north .I guess somethings we will never KNOW

Last edited by Nationwide; 10-26-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:05 AM

Tragic no doubt. I have told my son since he started on quads never to leave the machine. I do have basic survival kits on all my quads, all the time. I also do not take risks that may get me in trouble when by myself as oppose to when I am with other riders.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

Not a good thing at all... The Auger families in this area are well known hunters.. I do not know this fellow but I do know some of the families I would say this man should of had quite a few basic survival skills... But its hard to say sometimes what all go's on... It is tragic all the same and a lesson can be learned by all,, to go prepared and most importantly dress accordingly...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 PM

sad, very sad. You have to put those survival skills to use when the time comes. I guess he figured he wasn't all that lost.