Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2021, 04:54 PM

Post Starting welding apprenticeship

I'm trying to get into welding but I'm having hard time finding work, especially when every company is asking for experience, I looked on indeed and they all ask for current apprenticeships (1,2,3 year)

What would be my best option or approach for getting an apprenticeship?
Old 02-20-2021, 04:59 PM

do a pre-employment program where the school covers some of your hours and you come out with an apprenticeship.

Think about it from an employers side...... why would he hire you compared to anyone else that wants to start an apprenticeship.

Now if you come in with your apprenticeship started and its been paid by you, you show said employer that you have skin in the game and are committed

https://www.sait.ca/apprenticeships-...ding-full-time
Old 02-20-2021, 05:16 PM

The welders I know are seriously under employed and plan on being so for the foreseeable future.

Grizz
Old 02-20-2021, 05:19 PM
Banned

If you’re going to apprentice, there are several trades that are better, cleaner, healthier and better paying than welding.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:19 PM

Best advice I can give you is to find another field to go into. The welding industry is in the toilet and the workforce is flooded with journeyman welders who are willing to work for apprentice wages. Robotic welding is being implemented more often so less staff are actually needed on site. Even if you can get in they want more and more certificates to be able to work on sites. Without a B pressure and CWB certificates your practically useless to a company at this point. Sounds bad but that is just the way the industry is now.

If your set on welding, try to find a shop that has laborer positions open. Work one of those positions to prove yourself to the company then try to move up to an apprenticeship once you have established yourself.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-20-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk93 View Post
I'm trying to get into welding but I'm having hard time finding work, especially when every company is asking for experience, I looked on indeed and they all ask for current apprenticeships (1,2,3 year)

What would be my best option or approach for getting an apprenticeship?
Where do You live ?
Old 02-20-2021, 06:32 PM

Spruce grove, Alberta
Old 02-20-2021, 06:48 PM

How about plumbing? Not fancy, but I stay busy.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:49 PM

I don’t want to discourage you from trying to follow what you want to do, but I agree with one of the posts above suggesting a different trade. I’d suggest electrician, plumber, instrumentation, or something else that interests you. Welding is a tough gig, and very hard on your health. If you’re REALLY keen, a dual ticketed electrician and instrumentation mechanic is a deadly combo.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawken View Post
How about plumbing? Not fancy, but I stay busy.
Good choice or a sparky?
Old 02-20-2021, 06:54 PM

Look for a labourer position and bust ur butt. Easiest way to get into an apprenticeship.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
Look for a labourer position and bust ur butt. Easiest way to get into an apprenticeship.
Those days were 15 years ago. The only welders I know still employed have many years and every ticket under the sun, or are somewhere other than Alberta. Same goes for instrumentation. Sparkys are suffering but most still making a go of it.

Gotta agree with the general consensus - pick something else. Plumbing or HVAC have a better baseline need for service.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:16 PM

Son took electrician pre course, got hired by a big outfit in GP and works all the hours he wants, great in this economy.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:44 PM

My dad was a welding teacher, worked for the apprenticeship board, had a fabrication business etc.. don’t listen to people telling you not to pursue your dream

Just because it’s slow right now, that won’t last forever. It’s true it can be a dirty job and it’s not too healthy. I think if I were you I’d find a shop that’s “very” professional, hires the best, does high tech work. Working for the best to become the best, that’s why my first job was with a master chef. Learn from the best.

Even if you have to start as a shop hand it’s a way in. Learn to read blueprints because only some tradesmen can actually do that. Learn CAD a bit even if you don’t intend to become a drafts person. Pipeliners make good money but dad would never hire them because all they could do is run a bead, few of them were good in a manufacturing shop. Dad was so disgusted by hiring some of them that he actually let his pressure ticket expire. There is a huge and interesting future in high tech manufacturing...in a nice warm shop!
Old 02-20-2021, 07:54 PM

Nephew is a b pressure rig welder, he is hoping to get a roughneck job.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:16 PM
Banned

I agree with a few of the people here, even though it's two different sides.

If you want to be a welder, go for it. But I would suggest finding something niche and staying away from the general populations of welders. B Pressure is a tough game, and expensive game to get in and stay in.

Right now there is a ton of all sorts of tradesmen out of work. It's really not a good time to be in a lot of the trades. Not unless you are on the service side already. I am a journeyman plumber (new install commercial and industrial experience), 3rd year steamfitter, and at one point I was an apprentice welder as well, but gave that up. I have been trying to get hooked up with a refrigeration apprenticeship for the last year and a half with no luck.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:25 PM

Default Starting welding apprenticeship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I agree with a few of the people here, even though it's two different sides.

If you want to be a welder, go for it. But I would suggest finding something niche and staying away from the general populations of welders. B Pressure is a tough game, and expensive game to get in and stay in.

Right now there is a ton of all sorts of tradesmen out of work. It's really not a good time to be in a lot of the trades. Not unless you are on the service side already. I am a journeyman plumber (new install commercial and industrial experience), 3rd year steamfitter, and at one point I was an apprentice welder as well, but gave that up. I have been trying to get hooked up with a refrigeration apprenticeship for the last year and a half with no luck.

Why is b pressure tough and expensive?

Couple options are take a pre employment course from GRB or the likes. Or get in a shop and work your butt off. Or get a job helping a rig welder. He won’t apprentice you but you’ll get some good experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by sweld; 02-20-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Those days were 15 years ago. The only welders I know still employed have many years and every ticket under the sun, or are somewhere other than Alberta. Same goes for instrumentation. Sparkys are suffering but most still making a go of it.

Gotta agree with the general consensus - pick something else. Plumbing or HVAC have a better baseline need for service.
Gotta look for a production shop. There’s a lot of journeymen out there right now that normally would go buy a truck and pipeline. I think it’s tough right now getting ur ticket and finding a job. Apprentice wage is a lot cheaper which employers outside the energy industry are looking for.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:50 PM

I don't know if I can help. But I currently have 33 welding apprentices signed up under my name. Something I need to keep close track of, so I know it's 33!. Fire me a PM and maybe we can chat about your goals. I'm in QC now, with all the welding creds you could ask for. Very large production shop. Might be able to help you out. Just hired an apprentice, over a Redseal journeyman last Thursday.... opportunities are out there still.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
Why is b pressure tough and expensive?

Couple options are take a pre employment course from GRB or the likes. Or get in a shop and work your butt off. Or get a job helping a rig welder. He won’t apprentice you but you’ll get some good experience.

Tough because you're always judged over your last joint and you don't get to many chances. And its expensive of you want to be valuable because of the tickets you need to keep in your pocket, and keep practiced on when you aren't working.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I don't know if I can help. But I currently have 33 welding apprentices signed up under my name. Something I need to keep close track of, so I know it's 33!. Fire me a PM and maybe we can chat about your goals. I'm in QC now, with all the welding creds you could ask for. Very large production shop. Might be able to help you out. Just hired an apprentice, over a Redseal journeyman last Thursday.... opportunities are out there still.
I agree. There’s opportunities. I have some as well. Not around Sherwood park unfortunately.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Tough because you're always judged over your last joint and you don't get to many chances. And its expensive of you want to be valuable because of the tickets you need to keep in your pocket, and keep practiced on when you aren't working.

Meh. Same as any other job, your only as good as your last job. I pay 300 bux every 2 years to keep my b update. Far from expensive.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:08 PM
Banned

I know of some who do the same. I also have others thy are always getting work on turnarounds, always getting extra time at the the end, going out early, etc. To make that happen, they put in the work, that includes $2-3000 worth of tickets in their pockets.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:13 PM

Get into any other trade than welding. Literally anything. Do NOT become a welder. I've been doing it for 12 years. I had planned to walk away the minute I got my ticket but life happened and I got stuck. I'm in the process of setting up plans to walk away for good within the next year. I'll likely be taking a big paycut but it will be worth it. Well, it won't be as big a cut now since wages for welders are in the toilet. I regret ever signing up for welding school.

Last edited by Outbound; 02-20-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I know of some who do the same. I also have others thy are always getting work on turnarounds, always getting extra time at the the end, going out early, etc. To make that happen, they put in the work, that includes $2-3000 worth of tickets in their pockets.

Huh. News to me.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Get into any other trade than welding. Literally anything. Do NOT become a welder. I've been doing it for 12 years. I had planned to walk away the minute I got my ticket but life happened and I got stuck. I'm in the process of setting up plans to walk away for good within the next year. I'll likely be taking a big paycut but it will be worth it. Well, it won't be as big a cut now since wages for welders are in the toilet. I regret ever signing up for welding school.

Show us on the doll where the welding instructor touched you.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Get into any other trade than welding. Literally anything. Do NOT become a welder. I've been doing it for 12 years. I had planned to walk away the minute I got my ticket but life happened and I got stuck. I'm in the process of setting up plans to walk away for good within the next year. I regret ever siging up for welding school.
I have to respectfully disagree. It can be what you chose to make of it if you have skill and ambition, and of course opprtunity to go further. I have had many horrible experiences, yes. But now I'm in an office. Vessel shops, pipelines, facility construction, refinery row, stainless, aluminum, helicopter and plane rides to get to site, done it all, across 3 provinces and the NWT. Certainly not a glamorous job to start off in though.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 02-20-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:45 PM

Talking

There is no perfect trade. I was born in Alberta and I've been surfing the boom and bust cycle for years. I decided to focus on just welding in 2005, I'd been working as a uncertified welder/millwright before that. I've always jumped on the chance to learn something new or test for a new procedure and it does not cost much to keep up to date. Decent companies will pay for your tests most of the time anyway. Now is undeniably slow but it will come back, a pre employment program is a good start but make sure you actually get something- first year school and a cwb ticket for example. Suddenly you're much more employable!
If you want to be a welder stick with it! Work hard, you'll be just fine. Pm me if you wanna ask questions or burn some rod.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
Huh. News to me.

Very obvious that you only want to argue about this and im not down for that. With whg you've said you have spent every couple of years, I know the tickets that you would have. All I'm saying is that the jobs I am typically on, they wouldn't be good enough. Thats when I call these guys.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Very obvious that you only want to argue about this and im not down for that. With whg you've said you have spent every couple of years, I know the tickets that you would have. All I'm saying is that the jobs I am typically on, they wouldn't be good enough. Thats when I call these guys.

Not arguing. I just don’t agree with you. I’ve been welding for 30 years. I have never known a welder with 2 to 3 thousand dollars worth of welding tickets.

Tags
alberta, edmonton, welding, work