Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Sharpedge

Default Just "what" is your target?

Another avoidable tragedy and I will reserve further comment except to say that the New Zealand Mountain Safety Council emphasizes that the shooter identifies the target as NOT BEING A HUMAN and not, for example: "Is it a deer?"

And too many folks are out there who have not a clue about what they are about to be doing. I've met them outfitted with everything available: except for being fully equipped between the ears!

Hunter education is always ongoing and not merely a mandatory hurdle that only has to be quickly vaulted in pursuit of a licence to perhaps discharge long range weapons in the vicinity of others!

And in consideration of the oft criminal activity of pointing a firearm at another person, such as in the act of "scoping": Maybe telescopic sights should be banned for big game hunting altogether? They are not absolutely necessary.

Sharpedge
Old 10-26-2007, 11:07 AM
sheephunter

I once had a guy get quite argumentative and aggressive when I confronted him about scoping. When I pulled out my cell phone and started dialing 911 he got a whole lot quieter. I hope he learned a lesson and the stupid thing was, he had a pair of binos around his neck. I make a issue about safety with anyone that scopes me and if they get the least bit argumenative, I offer to call the RCMP to let them sort it out.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:06 PM

Personally not a hunter nor against it, but the people responsible should not be allowed to pickup firearms again. You should know what you are shooting at before pulling the trigger, don't ya think ?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:54 PM

Why is it these incompetent knobs never seem to miss when they do something stupid. Just one of those weird twists I guess. I knew of a guy years ago in BC, who was shot at while paddling a red canoe across a small lake, (don't remember the result.) and shooter tried to claim he thought it was a moose. Another time a Biologist I knew was working a game check when a "hunter" brought through a "cow elk", field dressed and all. When asked, this dude gave a heroic description of the hunt and the shot but had no explanation as to why a cow elk would be wearing horseshoes.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:21 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I make a issue about safety with anyone that scopes me and if they get the least bit argumenative, I offer to call the RCMP to let them sort it out.
That is understandable since pointing a firearm at a person is a criminal offense.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:29 PM
sheephunter

Ya, once you point that out they tend to lose the attitude...and hopefully learn not to do it again.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
getting scoped by hunters on cutlines is a yearly occurance here, the last cowboy, and I mean cowboy (Big ol' white cowboy hat) scoped me from 200 yards. I have no problem wrecking a morning hunt to give them my two bits, and that verbage usually ends with them getting their gun stuck up there %$#!!!!!
Sad thing what happen but "bonebogg two wrongs DONT make a right "not that i have ever done that but you would not get anywhere near my gun .