Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 06:28 AM

I've bought and sold a lot of RV's over the years, I look at similar units for sale, condition and how much I have into it then set the price accordingly the time of year doesn't affect my price. If it doesn't sell in the fall there's always spring, if I get a stupid offer by email I just ignore it.
If a buyer won't take the time to come and look at it before making an offer he's not serious anyway or can't afford it. Do your research decide what you want and how much your willing to spend and at least look over the condition of the unit before negotiating a price.

Another thing to consider is Trump's trade war coming up, all the materials used to manufacture boats, RV's are expected to rise 15% driving prices up.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 AM

I often sell items at well below their 'going price', because I want to move them quickly. Often I've had them for years and I've gotten my money's worth out of them, and now it's time to pass them along to someone else. I just sold a boat & motor I've owned for 30 years, and a motorcycle I've owned for 10 years - at very low prices. Other people need to sell significantly below market value because they're moving right away and they've procrastinated on selling their stuff, or perhaps they need the money immediately for a variety of reasons.

If selling, put 'PRICE FIRM' if you're stuck on your price. If you just want to quickly move the item, don't put anything, or put: " OPEN TO OFFERS'.

When buying, I often give low-ball offers, with the caveat " I know it's worth more, but that's all I can offer. If you don't get a better price and just want to get rid of your item, give me a call and I'll take it off your hands. My offer stands until * a specific date*"

No hard feelings, - although some people are ****ed when I make the low offer, and still ****ed when they call to accept it!

On our local 'Buy & Sell' Facebook group, my rule of thumb is to buy or sell at no more than 1/2 NEW price - and usually at 1/3 of NEW price - even for hardly used or "AS NEW" items. Most people are just happy to off-load their stuff.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I've bought and sold a lot of RV's over the years, I look at similar units for sale, condition and how much I have into it then set the price accordingly the time of year doesn't affect my price. If it doesn't sell in the fall there's always spring, if I get a stupid offer by email I just ignore it.
If a buyer won't take the time to come and look at it before making an offer he's not serious anyway or can't afford it. Do your research decide what you want and how much your willing to spend and at least look over the condition of the unit before negotiating a price.

Another thing to consider is Trump's trade war coming up, all the materials used to manufacture boats, RV's are expected to rise 15% driving prices up.
Seasonality can play a big factor in price for most, especially in the fall for someone who has to pay for winter RV storage (which for decent storage, isn’t cheap). As well, no secret there is a higher demand for campers in the spring than in the fall.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Seasonality can play a big factor in price for most, especially in the fall for someone who has to pay for winter RV storage (which for decent storage, isn’t cheap). As well, no secret there is a higher demand for campers in the spring than in the fall.
higher demand means higher prices buy in midsummer when demand is low, storage over the winter runs $250 -$300 or in my case free why sell in the fall ?
Old 06-18-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro155 View Post
I actually own an older 16'er. it just so happens the wife wants something bigger. Pretty familiar with running batteries, generators, etc....

Ok, so you know everything about RV's but have to ask a forum for advice on how to buy one off Kijiji.

Gotcha.

(Your op came across as you being an RV newb)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:50 AM

No, my op said i am asking what to offer on Kijiji. I know how to buy off kijiji. Was looking for opinions. I also never stated I knew everything about RV's did I. Keep in mind, hooking up a battery or generator is pretty easy for most people to do whether or not they own a RV or not.
So your opinion is one I will not consider going forward. Thanks
Old 06-19-2018, 02:08 PM

How does that work for you Thumper,
When selling do people low ball you too?

TBark
Old 06-19-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro155 View Post
No, my op said i am asking what to offer on Kijiji. I know how to buy off kijiji. Was looking for opinions. I also never stated I knew everything about RV's did I. Keep in mind, hooking up a battery or generator is pretty easy for most people to do whether or not they own a RV or not.
So your opinion is one I will not consider going forward. Thanks

Good plan. I try to do some research and due diligence before buying used. Gives one an educated idea of worth before slapping down an out to lunch offer and being told to hit the road.

Nothing you should or obviously did, consider.

Yep, hooking up batteries and generators is easy and that's all there is to know about rv's.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:01 PM

It's all about knowing what you are buying.. or looking to buy.
Honestly, know what your looking for, and a ballpark price at the very least.

We have sold and bought a ton of stuff off there, and as mentioned before, research is the key. I hate low ballers, tire kickers etc, but it's all part of the deal really.
People want stuff for half price, delivered yadda yadda.

If buying or selling you can weed out the riff raff. Do some homework and it does work out if both parties are legit.

Helped my son buy a Victory Highball cruiser last Saturday. Seller lives now in Vietnam. Bike was in Calgary. We made a deal, met with his dad, test drove brought it home.

Sure there is a lot of back and forth BS, look after yourself first and foremost, make sure all s legit and away you go.

But having said that, some real shysters out there as well. Hope you can make it happen.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
How does that work for you Thumper,
When selling do people low ball you too?

TBark
Not usually. I tell them straight out that it's a very good price, and I don't dicker!
Old 06-21-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
As a seller I don't care if you offer me 20% of my asking price just don't waste my time doing it.
You send an email or text offering that low, I have the choice of either responding or simply saying no. Nobody loses.

But if you were to ask me a million questions or come test drive it and look it over just to throw me a number you had in mind way before you even seen the vehicle then that's when it really gets to me.

I don't think asking 75-80% is bad, but myself personally, I only go look at anything if I'm willing to pay for it full price and then whatever discount I get is extra or if I've already agreed on a lower price
This is exactly how I feel too! I feel no insult if it's a email low call, this is business and it's not personal. If you think there's karma or pride involved then that would really make things stressful to sell. I'd never be untruthful but if someone's will ing to give me a deal or pay full price for something I'm selling then I'm all game.