Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
Cabelas is a business. They need to recover their cost on product. If the flares are still good for three months, they're not just going to dispose of them. Of course they're going to sell them. If you're not happy with the product, go somewhere else. Personally I've had exemplary service from Cabela's over the years.
Lol yeah ok, you would pay full price something that is absolutely worthless in 90 days when it is meant to last 36 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
In today's day and age of online purchasing and unlimited long distance calling, if you need something specific, the onus is on you to research, and then make sure you are getting what you want.

Ken, I don't mean to be contrary, but in the time and negative energy it took you to write and respond in this thread, you could have found fresh flares and had an ice cold beer while watching the tube.

No store is perfect, but whenever I have had an issue at Cabelas, and it has happened a few times, some sweet talk and patience on my part has always brought about a really satisfactory result.
The thread was just to inform others that may be looking for flares. It is a very market specific post.

Is the general forum not for sharing opinions and experience with others?

Plus I have not found flares as nowhere I have called has been able to supply me with product that is date compliant.

I would be very annoyed if I spent upwards of $150 today and got a big ticket tomorrow because one of the retailers sold me expired flares. I thought others may as well. Replacement flares are $25 for 5, but the kits including the gun are quite expensive, fiy.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 PM

Your title has zero to do with flares and calls Cabela's a joke with double exclamations. If your title had said, "Heads up on expired flares!" then it is helpful in sharing information. Instead it comes off as another negative rant. Sorry, that's how I see it. All forums, ours included, could use a tad more positive vibes.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:13 PM

Sorry did not know all threads had to be happy ones. It was meant as a negative rant. Also fixed the threat title.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Banned

After going to bass pro I'll never bitch about cabelas.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Ha!

I was complaining about my broken leg until I saw a man who was missing his!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:53 PM
Banned

C--R--E--A--K (sound of door opening).. didn't read all the posts.. did something happen to the flares ??
Old 06-18-2018, 10:03 PM

I don't mind shopping at Cabela's but I never ask their people for advice unless it's an old dude in the fishing department who was too busy fishing to save for his retirement.

Sounds like you got burned by online shopping and some ****ty business practices at their warehouse.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I don't mind shopping at Cabela's but I never ask their people for advice unless it's an old dude in the fishing department who was too busy fishing to save for his retirement.

Sounds like you got burned by online shopping and some ****ty business practices at their warehouse.
LOL,
I'm like this in ANY store..if only a young dudes is available, I will figure it out myself!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Boy this sums it right up!
Old 06-19-2018, 06:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ha!

Hell after stopping in bass pro I even appreciated wholesale sports.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:03 AM

there used to be an old adage floating around many years ago, "Buyer Beware" , the 3 month old flares will get u through the summer, until you can locate some flares with a longer expiry date. use the old flares up, or put them on kiji, and july 1 is coming soon.

"Boat = Bring Out Another Thousand", from what i hear. lol ,
Old 06-19-2018, 08:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
there used to be an old adage floating around many years ago, "Buyer Beware" , the 3 month old flares will get u through the summer, until you can locate some flares with a longer expiry date. use the old flares up, or put them on kiji, and july 1 is coming soon.

"Boat = Bring Out Another Thousand", from what i hear. lol ,
^^^^This^^^^
On anything that could have an expiry date...buyer beware. The flares were not expired. Nothing at all wrong with them. What do you expect Ken, that they are going to toss or heavily discount everything that is approaching expiry?
And who would determine that. Someone who doesn't expect to use the flares often is going to consider a flare with only two years left on the expiry date to be a bad deal ...should they discount those?
Yes Cabela's could do that...and raise the price of everything else in the store to make up the loss.
No thank you...I just prefer to do my due diligence and check before I buy.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ha!

Well this thread has sure "gained some legs"

Its like the old days and the old Wholesale Sports rants. Love it...
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 AM

Geez how I miss Wholesale Sports. Equal opportunity rants, eh.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
^^^^This^^^^
On anything that could have an expiry date...buyer beware. The flares were not expired. Nothing at all wrong with them. What do you expect Ken, that they are going to toss or heavily discount everything that is approaching expiry?
And who would determine that. Someone who doesn't expect to use the flares often is going to consider a flare with only two years left on the expiry date to be a bad deal ...should they discount those?
Yes Cabela's could do that...and raise the price of everything else in the store to make up the loss.
No thank you...I just prefer to do my due diligence and check before I buy.
I did due diligence, having asked them to find me a box that was newer. Guess you missed that, huh?
Yes there is something wrong with them. There is less than 3 months legal life in a 36 month window.
The point is being fined by the RCMP for having expired flares.
I expect when I buy something full price to get value for the dollar.
Ever wonder why Safeway sobeys no frills co-op superstore et-al mark down meat just before it turns green?
Do you buy 4L of milk the day it expires or dig for a fresh one?

Old 06-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I did due diligence, having asked them to find me a box that was newer. Guess you missed that, huh?
Yes there is something wrong with them. There is less than 3 months legal life in a 36 month window.
The point is being fined by the RCMP for having expired flares.
I expect when I buy something full price to get value for the dollar.
Ever wonder why Safeway sobeys no frills co-op superstore et-al mark down meat just before it turns green?
Do you buy 4L of milk the day it expires or dig for a fresh one?
Exactly Ken...I GO to the store and dig for a fresh one.
If you're going to allow someone else to pick out your dated product for you...you get what they send you.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Exactly Ken...I GO to the store and dig for a fresh one.
If you're going to allow someone else to pick out your dated product for you...you get what they send you.
No, well maybe you do but I am not playing the lottery I am buying required safety equipment.
That is the point of dealing with a human over the phone in conjunction with online ordering.
The problem was Cabelas told me if they sent me expired flares, be it by a day or 4 years it's tough luck.
The point of the thread is verifying important information and shining a light on some poor business practise.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:56 AM

Ken, a big part of your problem is you are trying to buy an item with little to no turn over in an area where their use is not that common. If you try purchase them on the coast, where their use is much more common (therefor with a much higher turn over) you will get a fresher product. I phoned 3 stores in Victoria today who all said they carry 12ga flares that have been produced within the last 6 months.

Perhaps you could also try these places.
https://kodiakcanada.com/collections...ge-comet-flare based in Canmore AB

https://www.margosupplies.com/canada/search?q=flare Out of High Level

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-19-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Ken, a big part of your problem is you are trying to buy an item with little to no turn over in an area where their use is not that common. If you try purchase them on the coast, where their use is much more common (therefor with a much higher turn over) you will get a fresher product. I phoned 3 stores in Victoria today who all said they carry 12ga flares that have been produced within the last 6 months.

Perhaps you could also try these places.
https://kodiakcanada.com/collections...ge-comet-flare based in Canmore AB

https://www.margosupplies.com/canada/search?q=flare Out of High Level
Thanks GG6, I appreciate that. I have found several places that have the same flares, and am currently trying to find someone that will verify expiration dates. Plus, some do not want to ship them as they are dangerous goods.
I am not going to drive to Victoria to buy flares when I fish Rupert though. I looked in the stores when I was there, one was expecting a shipment, one was asking 3x retail, 1 only had expired flares. I was hoping to do this locally before I go to Rupert again, do not want to have to go shopping enroute so I am legal. Not possible apparently.
I sure miss Wholesale Sports Prince George, we stopped there every single time we went to Rupert in past years.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:55 AM

When things go out of date, most stores will send them back to the supplier and get a refund. The store is not out of monies but it is a bit of a hassle for them. Not saying all stores or all items.
I do know that Lowe's does this with some expiry dated items. Some items i think they take a hit.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Ahhhh first world problems eh!
It's survival time

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...