Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cat View Post
You do realize how many families visit the mountains for various activities where chances of run ins with bears is way more common? Not to mention all the people who live and raise kids in bear country which is a much bigger area then the southern prairies of Alberta. You make it sound like they’re here to lay waste to our neck of the woods. Yes the odd one will become a problem and he’ll get dealt with accordingly, same as anywhere else. I live on and make my living looking after livestock on the prairies and I’d love to see the odd grizz wandering around.
Ya, pretty much.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:28 PM

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't really get what the big deal is. There is a bear around, so what? Every bear that leaves the foothills is supposed to be shot? I'm pretty sure my kids have a greater chance of death by failing down the stairs, and I'm not planning on ripping them out tonight and putting in a slide.

From what I can tell, Grizzly's have killed about 23 people in North America since 2000. So basic math indicates an individual living in North America has approx. 1/150,000,000 chance of being killed by a grizzly. I feel pretty safe with those odds....
Old 06-20-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Yup, it won't be long before we hear about the first maulings on the prairies. I hazard to guess the majority of alberta's population has no clue.

Somebodies kid(s) going to visit family on farms, or landowners kids used to heading to the creek to go fishing or catch frogs etc....it will be so innocent...i hope i never have to read about something like that.
Fear Mongering is not going to help. This kindof frustrates me. Do we need a line in Alberta where bears are allowed and where they are not, Is this a rule? How big was that bear? If it was 2-3-4 years old maybe its life has been in that area for all of it. nobody even knows its there until somebody post it on a forum, now the troops want to kill ever bear east of HWY2. That bears Mother might be living in that area also for years. Bears typically do not want human interaction unless food becomes and issue, starving or somebody is feeding it. Lets spread bear awareness. I am sure the ranchers already monitor the area for animals being killed by predators. and it will get dealt with in short order if it does. No need to go load up the truck and kill it today. Should we do the same in Swan hills, Athabasca, Spirit River? People live there to?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:21 AM
Banned

I simply try to spread the word, maybe it's more realistic, maybe it's further over the line, but many seem to be well under the line too.

I could care less what wildlife managers or landowners do or don't do with them. My main care is the lack of information and awareness to general public about how many there are, seem to be, and where they are.

We have a better understanding here on the forum as we all play out there. I don't get near the days afield as many here and i've been around 8 in one day. My uncles friend was the one eaten by bergen a few years back. I took the pictures of Rick Cross with his nephew on that ram they killed in 2012 and saw Rick the night before he was killed two years later. Could have been up that drainage myself. We both slept in our trucks and went into different spots in the dark. I came out, he didn't. I didn't see on the news till a few days later. I was in burnt solo for days when a big bear started chewing on another hunters tent in the middle of the night and bothered him all night, it ran that hunter out of there, packed up that morning and left. Two years later a guy gets predatory mauled while having breakfast in there...same bear imo as i'd played in there for years and knew he was there, his turf, big turds/tracks and no others. First guy should have killed it but that's another story as he was an outfitter in an area on atv that he shouldn't have been, little karma the bear singled him out initially but wouldn't wish that on anyone, then the bear just about kills another guy a couple years later. Just glad the second guy survived despite how horrific that sounded. I've come out from bowhunting just west of jumping pound on transcanada to fresh griz sign...i know what happened to that bear, it had to be done, wasn't me and wasn't on that property when it happened but within a couple weeks of me coming across that fresh sign there was an encounter with a bow hunter looking for elk. That was like 10 yrs ago now and numbers have only gone up and up and up.

The sightings are going up, the encounters and maulings are going up. Just keep educating that it's not like we remember even 15 years ago would have been pretty rare to run into one within a few miles of 22....now they are all over the place near 22.

Not saying kill them all but do agree with keeping them to uninhabited zones is a good idea. Same rules for cougars/black bears with regards to land owners imo. But most importantly the general public needs to be properly informed. Everyone that doesn't hunt and even many that do just prairie stuff etc. don't even realize the predator numbers. Surprising grizzly bears doesn't usually end well. I don't have encounters as i refuse to surpise one lol, if i'm hiking in the dark i might be singing etc. and that will scare anything away for certain.

Anyway, have a respect for them and love them like any other animal but very rarely do i go into a drainage anywhere in the 400's and not see pretty fresh sign.

I know the feeling of realizing you're very near a g-bear and have given it zero thought and are totally unprepared, at dark, with a fair hike to do yet to get out. Would thought nothing of it if i at least had bearspray with me, but also thought nothing of making my presence known as nobody expects them to be where they are now.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 06-20-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 AM

Last edited by dicknormal; 06-20-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:58 AM

Knowing they are out there and being aware is always a good thing. I was with my kids scouting out mulies on the ridge. We had walked in 2 quarters and cut over 1 quarter checking things out. The kids headed north the 2 quarters while I headed diagonal across the 2 quarters to get back to the truck. I was going to then drive over to pick them up. I was packing only my binoculars and a pack of smokes. Crossed this griz track and puckered up pretty good in those slow rolling hills. https://flic.kr/p/25CUgW3
https://flic.kr/p/28oSuVz
Old 06-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
Knowing they are out there and being aware is always a good thing. I was with my kids scouting out mulies on the ridge. We had walked in 2 quarters and cut over 1 quarter checking things out. The kids headed north the 2 quarters while I headed diagonal across the 2 quarters to get back to the truck. I was going to then drive over to pick them up. I was packing only my binoculars and a pack of smokes. Crossed this griz track and puckered up pretty good in those slow rolling hills. https://flic.kr/p/25CUgW3
https://flic.kr/p/28oSuVz
And maybe this is why i'm worried....it's a parent thing. I can only imagine the wave of adrenaline that rushed over you in that moment realizing your kids might have a run in. When i had my encounter just like that i wasn't a parent yet and it sure got my attention, same thing, only it had just snowed as i was bowhunting the evening shift and was coming out at dark, and the track had just gone through with the big ole poop still steaming right on the fenceline i was hiking back out along. Nocking an arrow in the dark by headlamp was the best i could do and still had probably a solid 20 min hike to get to my truck, over a quarter on the diagonal and a big ridge to get over as well. Huge wake up call to make bearspray standard part of the kit and your presence known. I was coming out very quiet in 2" of soft wet snow...i could have surprised that bear so easily and think how lucky my timing was and never even thought of running into one there.

Really feel that anybodies outdoor gear should have bearspray as a known and well educated standard piece of kit for 'alberta outdoor play' period. I don't care what the activitiy, hobby, etc.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I simply try to spread the word, maybe it's more realistic, maybe it's further over the line, but many seem to be well under the line too.

We have a better understanding here on the forum as we all play out there. I don't get near the days afield as many here and i've been around 8 in one day. My uncles friend was the one eaten by bergen a few years back. I took the pictures of Rick Cross with his nephew on that ram they killed in 2012 and saw Rick the night before he was killed two years later. Could have been up that drainage myself. We both slept in our trucks and went into different spots in the dark. I came out, he didn't. I didn't see on the news till a few days later. I was in burnt solo for days when a big bear started chewing on another hunters tent in the middle of the night and bothered him all night, it ran that hunter out of there, packed up that morning and left. Two years later a guy gets predatory mauled while having breakfast in there...same bear imo as i'd played in there for years and knew he was there, his turf, big turds/tracks and no others. First guy should have killed it but that's another story as he was an outfitter in an area on atv that he shouldn't have been, little karma the bear singled him out initially but wouldn't wish that on anyone, then the bear just about kills another guy a couple years later. Just glad the second guy survived despite how horrific that sounded. I've come out from bowhunting just west of jumping pound on transcanada to fresh griz sign...i know what happened to that bear, it had to be done, wasn't me and wasn't on that property when it happened but within a couple weeks of me coming across that fresh sign there was an encounter with a bow hunter looking for elk. That was like 10 yrs ago now and numbers have only gone up and up and up.

The sightings are going up, the encounters and maulings are going up. Just keep educating that it's not like we remember even 15 years ago would have been pretty rare to run into one within a few miles of 22....now they are all over the place near 22.

But most importantly the general public needs to be properly informed. Everyone that doesn't hunt and even many that do just prairie stuff etc. don't even realize the predator numbers. Surprising grizzly bears doesn't usually end well. I don't have encounters as i refuse to surpise one lol, if i'm hiking in the dark i might be singing etc. and that will scare anything away for certain.

Sad stories with any bear attack but even more so when you know the person involved. Was it ever determined if Cross was able to get a shot off before he was killed, or would he have been in walk mode with it strapped to his pack.

100% with you on the public needing to be informed and there being full disclosure on actual numbers and sightings outside of their normal range. Same for cougars.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Sad stories with any bear attack but even more so when you know the person involved. Was it ever determined if Cross was able to get a shot off before he was killed, or would he have been in walk mode with it strapped to his pack.

100% with you on the public needing to be informed and there being full disclosure on actual numbers and sightings outside of their normal range. Same for cougars.
won't comment on the details here and i don't have the full/final story either but did talk to some fish and wildlife after and got an idea of the scene with some details, pm me if you like and i will share what was shared with me and some thoughts of my own on what likely transpired after having spent a bit of time with the man in 2012 on a pretty awesome day
Old 06-21-2018, 07:19 AM
Suspended User

I find it it hilarious that so many of you picture Alberta as all prairie. Guess those are the ones in the southern half who are unaware of just how much is uninhabited bush. Typical.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I could care less what wildlife managers or landowners do or don't do with them. My main care is the lack of information and awareness to general public about how many there are, seem to be, and where they are.
Well put, Stinky.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
And the cougars too yes. Predator numbers should be well educated period. Wolves, cougars, bears. Some are for more dangerous when surprised than others. Some more apt to stalk and or go predator than others. For human safety and awareness but also wildlife management purposes. Alberta human population should at least know if we are on a predator high swing...or an ungulate high swing...it's one or the other at any given time.

As for cougars, i educate that any area with good numbers of deer likely has a cat in the coulee with them. Have seen first hand while calling coyotes. The bowhunters know also, how many encounters there. And i'm hoping i don't have to mention how high wolf numbers are and have been for a long arse time too. We are predator high right now and have been for a long time.

That bearspray education isn't just meant for g-bears. Every runner or cyclist that gets their fitness out of town should have it part of the kit. I'm sure a cougar stalking a woman walking her dog near canmore would get lost with a face full of spray...like a skunk on steroids. Pretty good to protect yourself from anything alive really, dogs, humans. It should be on you, on your bike, on your hip etc.

Thanks SB