Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Default Seating Die Issue

I just bought a die set(RCBS) for the old 308, started making up the loads. Then when I went to seat the bullet, put her in and put the ram up, and the bullet got stuck up un the die(casing came back down with quite a bit of force). So I took out the die and unscrewed the set screw to get it completely out of the die. The bullet was stuck bad in the mould so I screwed it in the opposite end of the die and ended up having to use a set of pliers on the bullet to get it out. I cleaned out the mould where the bullet sits in the die and put a little graphite powder in it to help it to keep slick. I have never had to clean out a set of dies before I started, nor have I ever had a problem like this. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this? Should I be putting a little bit of graphite on some bullets to keep it from getting stuck again? I was using 150g accubonds and federal brass.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:45 PM

Been reloading for over 25 years , never heard of a seater die buggering up ? Maybe its the wrong size seater cup in that die? I'd probably take it back if it does it again.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 PM

It seemed to be okay after that, but I just wanted to be sure. If it gives me anymore grief I'll send it back.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

First I ever heard of that happening..I always clean a new set of dies..but I don't think that is your problem..maybe neck tension?? how much force did you have to use to seat it??
Old 05-10-2010, 12:18 AM

A normal amount, it wasn't overly strenuous nor was it a slip. Do you ever put dry lube on your dies or never had to?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Banned

Nope..I hope I am not missing something..
Old 05-10-2010, 03:20 AM

I don't think so, I never had it happen to me either. Thats why I figured that I'd ask and make sure as I'm definately not as experienced as alot of folks around here.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Not familiar with RCBS, but most seaters make contact pretty high on the bullet (close to the tip) so it should not stick unless the seater stem is gummed up ...or if new, maybe a tool mark inside the stem could leave a little "lip" that could grab the bullet. Very unusual.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:06 AM

I ran into that problem about 15 years ago, so now i give each new die a conplete cleaning with degreaser before I use them .
They were RCBS dies as well....
Cat
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM

could have been something like a bit of dirt, paper or whatever which found it's way into the neck area of the die and stayed there stuck to the oil inside the die. I am using an RCBS die for my 308 win and have had nothing to bitch about.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 AM

Had the same problem with a redding die set. Although the bullet wouldnt stick completely, it seemed to hydro lock. Found out it was just packing lube that I had missed when cleaning the dies. Also it could've been a bullet that was out of round. As good as bergers are I have found some jacket concentricity issues, which oddly enough dont seem to affect accuracy at all.
Hope this may help
Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 PM

If you load a lot of small caliber like 17, 20 etc you will see this more often. Some stick, some put a small ring on the soft jaclkets of the small hollow points. Clean it when you get it, I polish the inside lip of all new seater plugs, then make sure I keep the seater clean and tumble it in some moly to coat the seating plug. (No one needs to say it, I know I am anal retentive). This little moly trick works real well on all seating stems and helps get better straight line seating.