Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2013, 10:07 PM

Question Fish finder/ GPS units

Hey everyone,
i am in the market for a new fish finder, i have read a bunch of reviews and looked at a bunch and listened to a bunch of sales people.

Just wondering what everyone likes and have used?
-has to be color and combo unit (sonar/gps).
-i want something very easy to use
-budget is 500-600

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 AM

Humminbird 597 at that price. 788 if you can spend a bit more.

I've got the 788.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM

I've got the 597. It is a great unit. I am impressed with it. The important features for me are the regular sonar and the GPS maping. The downlooking sonar is nice to entertain my GF but I seldom ever use it for myself.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM

I believe the consensus from the previous threads on this topic basically states, get either a Humminbird or a Lowrance in that price range and you’ll be fine. I have a Lowrance HDS 5 which is about $50 more than your budget there but it has been Great and you can add allot of things to it latter, I even use it ice fishing. Before that had a Humminbird 383C which I also felt was fine and still use it to this day as well.

Good Luck in your search
Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 PM

HDS-5 may still have $100.00 rebate brings cost down to $550.00
Networkable with just a cable, can add side imaging at a later date.

Sorry looks like rebate ended May 5. but still excellent unit for $650.00

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM

Humminbird 587 ci combo - for $500 it's a great deal.

If you want to spend a little more go with the HDS5 from Lowrance at $ 650 or the humminbird 597ci HD Combo with down imaging included for $ 639.

The humminbirds offer a few more features at that particular price point and are easy to use. The menus are far more intuitive and easy to understand than other products out there.

http://ca.humminbird.com/products/41...ci_HD_DI_Combo
Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Humminbird 587 ci combo - for $500 it's a great deal.

If you want to spend a little more go with the HDS5 from Lowrance at $ 650 or the humminbird 597ci HD Combo with down imaging included for $ 639.

The humminbirds offer a few more features at that particular price point and are easy to use. The menus are far more intuitive and easy to understand than other products out there.

http://ca.humminbird.com/products/41...ci_HD_DI_Combo
I've got the same one EZM. I have noticed that my GPS is not working and it is talking about an antenna not being hooked up. Doesn't it have an internal antenna? I didn't have any extra cables when I installed it.

(Sorry about jacking this thread)

Pike - 14
Walleye - 0
Perch - 0
Whitefish - 0
Rainbow - 0
Bull - 2
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swath View Post
I've got the same one EZM. I have noticed that my GPS is not working and it is talking about an antenna not being hooked up. Doesn't it have an internal antenna? I didn't have any extra cables when I installed it.

(Sorry about jacking this thread)
Any unit with a "i" designation has an "internal" antenna - if your unit it a Ci then you are ok - if the designation is c - you may need to install a gps antenna.

Assuming yours is as Ci - Punch Menu, and menu again, then, scroll over to GPS tab (the diamond) and check the internal GPS antenna box. You should be set. If it does not even recognize it - re-boot the unit and try again.

To do this go to Menu, then Menu, System, Restore Defaults.

If you are still having issues maybe call the Humminbird support folks - they can hook you up. All else fails - take it back and exchange it - with the quick connect on the base - it should take you 15 seconds to switch over.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Any unit with a "i" designation has an "internal" antenna - if your unit it a Ci then you are ok - if the designation is c - you may need to install a gps antenna.

Assuming yours is as Ci - Punch Menu, and menu again, then, scroll over to GPS tab (the diamond) and check the internal GPS antenna box. You should be set. If it does not even recognize it - re-boot the unit and try again.

To do this go to Menu, then Menu, System, Restore Defaults.

If you are still having issues maybe call the Humminbird support folks - they can hook you up. All else fails - take it back and exchange it - with the quick connect on the base - it should take you 15 seconds to switch over.
Awesome. Thanks man. I appreciate the input. Yes, it is a 587HD ci with down imaging.

Say, I think I saw you heading back to E-town from Wab a few weeks ago. Black and grey/silver Lund with a Honda right?

Pike - 14
Walleye - 0
Perch - 0
Whitefish - 0
Rainbow - 0
Bull - 2
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM

Yeah, that was me and TrophyPikeHunter ........ we are out there all the time - stop by and say hi ....
Old 06-25-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that was me and TrophyPikeHunter ........ we are out there all the time - stop by and say hi ....
I plan on being out there this weekend tossing some lines. I have an older blue/white Sylvan with a Johnson and a merc kicker on the back. Likely not going to be heading too far out of moonlight bay as I will likely have the young ones with me. I will look for you though.

Pike - 14
Walleye - 0
Perch - 0
Whitefish - 0
Rainbow - 0
Bull - 2
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 PM

well after much debate the place where i bot my boat had one of these off another new boat so its new in a opened box.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/37078/...i-di-gps-combo
he gave me a price of 380! i couldnt say no... and thats installed on my new lund!

thanks guys!
Mike
Old 06-26-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike780 View Post
well after much debate the place where i bot my boat had one of these off another new boat so its new in a opened box.
he gave me a price of 380! i couldnt say no... and thats installed on my new lund!

thanks guys!
Mike
Same as mine but with a smaller screen. I like it so far and yours should be the same. Good choice Mike and great deal!

Pike - 14
Walleye - 0
Perch - 0
Whitefish - 0
Rainbow - 0
Bull - 2
Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:

thanks guys!
Mike
Get the Humminbird ice bag for it and you've got a good ice sounder there as well. Glad things worked out for you.

Have a great season.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:

thanks guys!
Mike
So does anyone know how well the side imaging works on this model?