Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2014, 05:25 PM

Question Frabill Tent Problem

Hey all, I have a Frabill Fishouflage Ambush hub style tent that I got just after Christmas. Bought it from Wholesale sports. I have opened and set it up twice on the ice, and now I see that 2 of the shafts have broken and do not stay in the hub anymore. I need to replace 2 shafts after 2 uses...not real impressed. I'm looking for some warranty information, and am about to contact WSS to see what they can do. Has anyone else had any issues with the hub and/or shafts in a Frabill ice fishing tent?

Also (having never owned one before) is it common for an ice fishing tent to appear "ripped" and poked with some slight light holes throughout the fabric? I like the size of this Frabill tent, however for the price it sure seems cheaply made.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 PM

Mike...

Sorry to hear about your luck with this tent. They definitely looked cool when I saw them. I would definitely talk to WSS as it would still be covered by an in-store warranty of some type (I would imagine...) If not, Frabill should be able to help you out. A tent that fails after 2 uses is substandard at best,

But to answer your question about the pin holes of light and appearing 'ripped', I can tell you that I know exactly what you mean...and yes it is normal. Every tent I have ever owned has had these same markings. Maybe someone here will tell you different, but is basically due to the coating that is sprayed on to the fabric. You will never see 100% coverage, an honestly...it doesn't make one bit of difference. You will still be plenty dark in there.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 02-02-2014, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured this "ripped" look from inside was normal, and it sure does get nice and dark in there. I find it very interesting to see down the hole, pretty fun.

Will have to see what WSS says.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by French_Mike View Post
Hey all, I have a Frabill Fishouflage Ambush hub style tent that I got just after Christmas. Bought it from Wholesale sports. I have opened and set it up twice on the ice, and now I see that 2 of the shafts have broken and do not stay in the hub anymore. I need to replace 2 shafts after 2 uses...not real impressed. I'm looking for some warranty information, and am about to contact WSS to see what they can do. Has anyone else had any issues with the hub and/or shafts in a Frabill ice fishing tent?

Also (having never owned one before) is it common for an ice fishing tent to appear "ripped" and poked with some slight light holes throughout the fabric? I like the size of this Frabill tent, however for the price it sure seems cheaply made.
Chances are your hubs need tightened .with the tent in the collapsed state have a helper hold tent . Carefully take apart a "good "hub to see how they operate and then reset the "broken" hub. Should take five minutes.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:17 PM

In the pictures, the peg has a broken pin that keeps it from coming out of the hub. They have each snapped off one of the retainers. Looks like cheap pot metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tent.jpg (5.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg tent2.jpg (7.8 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-02-2014, 06:32 PM

If WSS does not come through for you call Frabill. The website says they don't sent to Canada but they do in deed sent parts etc. Last year I bought a Frabil shelter that was missing a couple of parts. Called Frabill and they had the parts in the mail the same day.

In your case the pole ends are probably all you need. They come off with just a little heat.

Good luck to you.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:34 PM

Awesome, thanks! Yeah I see it's just a little glue that holds 'em together. A couple of ends would be quite simple to change out and pop back into the hub.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Banned

Cool easy fix .

The pins slide >-< back and forth. Yours have slid one way and seized. Tap with a small hammer or a screw driver handle should free them up.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:27 PM

I purchased this same tent on Thursday, opened it on the ice Friday and one of the windows split as I was opening it up. Not impressed. I have a frabill commando and it's awesome, but this product didn't work out. Returned it for full refund.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 PM

I had a similar issue with the frabill hq 6 man , I just went to the website and sent a query off , they promptly replied and are sending me replacement parts , no questions asked .

So I would give them a kudos for prompt customer service
Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
The pins slide >-< back and forth. Yours have slid one way and seized. Tap with a small hammer or a screw driver handle should free them up.
I'll take a better look tomorrow, but I'm quite certain they've broken off from the looks of the whitish pot metal.
I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good to see that they actually have decent customer service.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 AM

Thumbs down Pop Ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by French_Mike View Post

My daughters bought me the same piece of junk three years ago, 4th time out it came apart, I took it back and purchased the frabill two seat flip over never a problem, these pop ups should be taken off the market, poor design but they are all the same, good concept but no reliability.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retten View Post
My daughters bought me the same piece of junk three years ago, 4th time out it came apart, I took it back and purchased the frabill two seat flip over never a problem, these pop ups should be taken off the market, poor design but they are all the same, good concept but no reliability.
I tend to disagree that...as with many things in life not all tents are created equal. I've had an Eskimo QuickFish 3 for several years, and during those several years it's seen much more use than the average ice fishing tent, and the only issues it has are due to regular wear and tear - no problems with workmanship whatsoever.

The flipover tents are nice if that style works for you, and they're great if you have a quad or sled to pull it around and you're a run & gun kinda guy. Of course you've gotta have a truck to get it to your location - can't stuff it in the back of a small car or SUV. They're pretty heavy as well for one guy to deal with (particularly the larger models) and they're not tall enough to really stand or move around in. They're also pretty expensive compared to the hub style for the occasional fisherman.

Just sayin'

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 AM

Default HT tent

I got a 4 man HT tent last year, and it's been ok, but just recently in doesn't collapse properly and one of the poles came out of a knuckle. it slid back in ok, but now i'm nervous it will keep happening. I think next year i'm going back to a hard wall modular shack. i have the same pinholes in mine, i think they are sewing holes.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

Cool

A little maintenance goes a long way with a popup. My frabill is 5 now the gromets popped at the hubs ..so I fixed them. Pop up hubs need a little tlc at the end or beginning of the season. A quick lube( hehe) and tighten of the main nut (haha ) and a pop up is good to go for a season . Look after them , they'll look after you.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Banned

They both have goods and bads. I have both. Expect to do minor repairs on hub style no biggie
Old 02-03-2014, 11:28 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=157958

Have a look at this. This is how I fixed mine. It has been working fine since.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

I used duct tape for ot ripping through. Made it big enough it wouldn't rip. Use black so it didn't look ghetto fabulous
Old 02-03-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhonky View Post
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=157958

Have a look at this. This is how I fixed mine. It has been working fine since.
I like that idea. I will go see if my pins in fact did just shift over. I'm just not a fan of this happening so soon after purchasing it. I'm a believer in maintenance, and fully expect to do so. I will go take a better look tonight.

Great information on here. Thanks a bunch folks!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:42 PM

So I went and took a closer look, and the two pegs definitely have broken pins where it holds into the hub. The pot metal pins have broken off on one side (on two different pegs). Now to play the waiting game until I can get back in to WSS (one downside to living hours away from a large center).