Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Default Looking for info on Portable fish finders

Who knows anything about these? I am considering a used older unit (Bottomline Portable 2200) for around $60 or so and was wondering if it is still a decent unit or should hold off on something newer/better? This would be used for my pontoon and canoe for depth and temp for the most part...

Thanks in advance,

Peter
Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 AM

I've got a paranah made by hummingbird.
I believe it's a 150 model single transducer, and seems to work great! Everytime it shows a school of fish, I time the boat distance and always get hits. for the lakes around here it's pretty descent. Would recommend just getting something basic. Unless you like to spend money, and have the best of everything. I've only had this unit so I'm sure there are others that do work a little better. ( duel, triple transducer) anyways I really like how it is portable so I can transfer it from boat to boat, and I've ice fished with it.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Banned

You get what you pay for...

I use a Humminbird 160. It works fairly well.

I bet just about any unit could be converted to a portable one....
Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 AM

any unit can be "Portable" it just takes a little creativity and craftmanship. My HDS 8 is mounted in my boat during summer, and in winter I made a case for it with a typical 12v gel cell battery for power and i just bought a seperate transducer to use with it, so the one mounted on the boat stays. Just a matter of plug and play the unit in what ever rig im using. So do not limit yourself on "PORTABLE" units. If you can get a "REGULAR" unit for a good deal, then the rest in pretty simple.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:10 PM

I got a pirahanamax 160 portable and let me tell you for 149.99 it's a great little unit. I mounted the transducer on a cut off hockey stick and c clamp it to my transom because I beach the boat. It came with a suction cup for the transducer which I didn't trust, but it actually holds surprisingly well. It's ready to go battery and all why buy an old used one.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
any unit can be "Portable" it just takes a little creativity and craftmanship. My HDS 8 is mounted in my boat during summer, and in winter I made a case for it with a typical 12v gel cell battery for power and i just bought a seperate transducer to use with it, so the one mounted on the boat stays. Just a matter of plug and play the unit in what ever rig im using. So do not limit yourself on "PORTABLE" units. If you can get a "REGULAR" unit for a good deal, then the rest in pretty simple.
Would you be willing to send me / post a photo and quick discription of the case you made for your HDS. I purchased the Lowrance bag for the HDS last winter but was not very happy with it. The bag that I got from Humminbird for the 383C however was excellant.