Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2014, 03:49 PM

Question Burnstick Lake perch

Anybody had any luck on this lake recently? I was thinking if heading. Out there Saturday morning. For the first time to this lake. Any tips? Thanks guys very much appreciated.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 PM

You should get Perch anywhere on the lake but numbers will vary. Locations may be limited to ice conditions. There was a good 5 inch of flood water last time we went out there and a heck of a lot of snow. Best bet is to head into the hamlet on the north side. It will be the first turn north of the campground access. "is clearly marked" Head down the road and stay to the left "the road will say "no exit" You will come to the boat launch a short ways down.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 PM

Are there pike in burnstick? Never here any mention of them being fished for in there. Is it worth setting some tip ups out?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:42 PM

Ya lots of perch, hard to get 5 good ones lots of smaller ones. Most the time fish 15 to 20 fow. Yes theres pike I would set up tip ups.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:42 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker taker2 View Post
Are there pike in burnstick? Never here any mention of them being fished for in there. Is it worth setting some tip ups out?
Very slow this year , imo try shallow 8' or less . New years day had fantastic perch action all day . Some exploration showed perch in depths much shallower than normal 10'. I belive the snow load has reduced light levels to a point where perch are roaming higher on the slopes due to the limitations on pike vision as a vision keyed predator. Just a guess but it plays out .
Good luck tight lines .
Old 01-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
Ya lots of perch, hard to get 5 good ones lots of smaller ones. Most the time fish 15 to 20 fow. Yes theres pike I would set up tip ups.
Not if you look in the right places. Small key areas hold fish , most areas fish roam constantly . Find the little holding structures and the better fish tend to frequent and suspend. Ime. Lots of micro structutes if you have the time to look . We are only talking 9" or slightly better fish though I belive a 12"+ was posted this summer . by a little tyke.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 PM

were there on Sunday.....
4-5 inches of flood water with about a foot of snow....

wood recommend foot excess only unless you have a tank

came at 10AM, "limited" in 5 minutes all about 6-7 inches....but kept "trying"

C&R all under 7 inches, and by 2PM got the limit , including 3 of 10 inches and 7 between 8 and 9

great day....snow, sun, no wind...well almost

tools: Marmish rod with 2lb line, Marmish hook (made in Russia) and 1-2 maggots at about 18-20FOW
Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 AM

Caught perch every time I have gone to Burnstick. Lots of small perch in the lake. Haven't landed a pike big enough to keep. Had luck walking across the lake directly from the boat launch, but it's a long walk in that deep snow.

Careful of the boat launch access, it's steep and can be full of snow. Seen lots get stuck. There was a ton of snow on the lake when I was up there a few weeks ago and 1 pickup truck got stuck in the snow on the lake.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 AM

Was there on Saturday, caught a ton of perch. Pink maggots were the trick, the perch are super small and not even worth it. I won't be going back

Orangefreddie.....Love your signature picture of that brownie, I wouldn't adveritse the location though. Poachers troll these forums too