Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 PM

Default Lowrance HDS Fishfinders

I would like to know if anyone has purchased any of the Lowrance HDS sonar units. Do you like it? Do you feel you got good value for the price, and why?

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:24 AM

i was looking at hds 7 elite , seems good value ,have not bought yet need feed back as well. thanks .
Old 02-02-2014, 02:04 PM

i bought the hds 7 elite havent used it yet did all the homework looks like best bang for the buck
Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM

No such thing as an HDS elite. The Elite HDI (Hybrid dual imaging) Is a step down from the HDS lineup. HDS has more features but the basic difference is that it can run optional side imaging. The elite series are great units and you can get them with traditional 83/200 kHz sonar alone or with the use of a different transducer you can add downscan imaging as well. Any Lowrance with an X after the model does not have GPS mapping. You can get an Elite-7 HDI with both GPS and downscan for $699.99 at Bass Pro, slightly more elsewhere. I have the HDS Touch units on my boat and I love them. Tons of competition out there right now. Mapping options and autopilot functionality are areas that are really heating up and both Humminbird and Garmin are offering some solid alternatives. Both Lowrance an Humminbird have dropped their prices The Gen 2 HDS-5 starts at around 600 and the HDS-7 Gen 2 TOUCH starts at around $1450
Get the touch if you can afford it. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Mudslide; 02-02-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:08 PM

I have the HDS 12 touch on the dash of my boat. Awesome unit! The touch units are extremely simple to use. They are pricey but worth it. I have 2 HDS 10 units as well. (One on the bow, one on the stern) All networked together. If it is in the budget, go for it! You will be happy you did.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM

Like our HDS 8's , the Gen 2 is nicer than the older one. Use mine on the ice too.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:21 PM

Bought my Elite-7 HDI from Bass Pro, great service. Love the unit's big screen easy to use and excellent detail. Great unit for my price point.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-02-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
No such thing as an HDS elite. The Elite HDI (Hybrid dual imaging) Is a step down from the HDS lineup. HDS has more features but the basic difference is that it can run optional side imaging. The elite series are great units and you can get them with traditional 83/200 kHz sonar alone or with the use of a different transducer you can add downscan imaging as well. Any Lowrance with an X after the model does not have GPS mapping. You can get an Elite-7 HDI with both GPS and downscan for $699.99 at Bass Pro, slightly more elsewhere. I have the HDS Touch units on my boat and I love them. Tons of competition out there right now. Mapping options and autopilot functionality are areas that are really heating up and both Humminbird and Garmin are offering some solid alternatives. Both Lowrance an Humminbird have dropped their prices The Gen 2 HDS-5 starts at around 600 and the HDS-7 Gen 2 TOUCH starts at around $1450
Get the touch if you can afford it. Hope that helps.
And Garmin is now into Side Imaging as well.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:23 PM

I also have the HDS8, gen 2. Great unit!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 PM

I bought an HDS 8 when they were first released and I have never had a problem with it.

I will be looking at getting another HDS unit in the future. I really like everything about them.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:00 AM

Presently have the HDS-7 with the side scan unit. I love it. Will be purchasing a HDS-5 to replace my X-4 at the front of the boat. This way I can hook the two together with a Ethernet cable.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 PM

Have the hds 7. no issues. Good resolution and good bright light viewing.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:36 AM

The elite 7 is a great unit bought it last year and it works great. Has the same sonar capebility as the HDS units but cheaper because of fewer options that the average fisherman will never use. I didn't get the down imaging because I can read a regular sonar just fine. My dad has an Hd 7 and for what I use my sonar for there is no difference in these machines. I turn it on adjust the sens, grayline and colors to how i like it. If i used all the bells and whistles the HDS 7 has a lot more of them and would be a better unit. The only catch is that if you have an SD map card it doesn't fit, the elite 7 is a micro SD mapcard.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotw View Post
The elite 7 is a great unit bought it last year and it works great. Has the same sonar capebility as the HDS units but cheaper because of fewer options that the average fisherman will never use. I didn't get the down imaging because I can read a regular sonar just fine. My dad has an Hd 7 and for what I use my sonar for there is no difference in these machines. I turn it on adjust the sens, grayline and colors to how i like it. If i used all the bells and whistles the HDS 7 has a lot more of them and would be a better unit. The only catch is that if you have an SD map card it doesn't fit, the elite 7 is a micro SD mapcard.
When I bought my Elite 7 I also purchased the Navionics Hotmaps for Canada. It's really nice, not every lake but most of them.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Have HDS 10,9,8 and 5 excellent units. Second to none. Have had no issues at all.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.