Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Default I was liking my Ion electric auger until....

I was liking my Ion as it is light, easy to use quiet and fast. Went out today drilled a hole checked depth, moved a bit drilled another, still wasn't depth I was looking for. Took battery off put auger in the sled and moved again. Picked up auger, put in battery and noticed the lever on the handle that you have to hold down to work the trigger was already down. Tried to work trigger but it wouldn't engage. Fiddled with it but couldn't get it to work. End of fishing trip. Not too happy.
I don't think I even drilled 24 holes with it since I bought it. I thought the trigger looked fragile when I purchased this but never thought it would fail so soon. Anyone else had this happen? I've only had it a week! I am returning it tomorrow and getting the old Strikemaster back out. Hopefully they upgrade this as I liked everything else about the auger. I'm sticking with the gas until they upgrade this.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:49 PM

I had a look at mine and I figured if it ever brakes I could just open up the handle and bypass it. Not a deal breaker for me that's for sure. I love my ion.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:04 PM

I thought about doing that but that would probably void the warranty.
If they upgrade the design in the future I'll probably buy another one
I'll probably take the cash and buy another rifle.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:23 PM

The original had a thumb safety I thought the new style looked easier to use but seems maybe the original was a stronger design.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 PM

I thought it felt cheap when I tried one and this just proves it. Nothing wrong with plastic but I think they are made with cheap materials.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 PM

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
I thought it felt cheap when I tried one and this just proves it. Nothing wrong with plastic but I think they are made with cheap materials.
You maybe right in reguards to the safety made cheap or just a crappy design. But the rest of the unit is very strong.

I actually find the safety a PITA and like the idea of bypassing it.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 PM

Returned it today. Canadian Tire gave a full refund no questions asked.
If they redesign it I may consider another one but not before. My old Strike master has been through hell and still runs strong.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:49 PM

so i had a look at mine today and bypassing it is very simple. if it becomes a warrenty issue i will just put it back the way it was before sending it in for repair.

Another option would be to just tape the saftey down and leave it there. If its not sticking up it cant get broken. Just remove battery( which i do anyhow)when not in use.

I dont find that the Ion seems to be cheaply made. I had a pretty good look at mine when i first got it home and it seems very well made to me. Made the fact that it doesnt weigh as much as most gas augers makes it feel that way to those that are used to a gas auger.

I had mine out with a buddy the other day and he loves it too. Didnt even bother to start his gas job.

To each thier own i guess.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Banned

i had a chance to use an ion a couple weeks ago and was very impressed. think i'll log onto ion website and bring up concern about trigger. who knows, by the time i can afford to buy my own they will have the bugs worked out.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:00 PM

I agree that most of the auger seems well built. The trigger safety is just a poor design. I didn't have any tools with me to take it apart on the lake and was choked that I couldn't fish after a 2 hour drive to the lake. Breaking after only about 24 holes was disappointing and killed any confidence I had about its durability. I had it laying on a jacket and had been driving slowly as the ice was slippery and rough in spots. My old Strikemaster has never let me down
As I said I will probably consider another one if the design is improved
Old 02-04-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
I agree that most of the auger seems well built. The trigger safety is just a poor design. I didn't have any tools with me to take it apart on the lake and was choked that I couldn't fish after a 2 hour drive to the lake. Breaking after only about 24 holes was disappointing and killed any confidence I had about its durability. I had it laying on a jacket and had been driving slowly as the ice was slippery and rough in spots. My old Strikemaster has never let me down
As I said I will probably consider another one if the design is improved
I don't have an Ion and have never used one, so I can't really say I have an opinion on it.

The only thing I can say is there is a reason I always still throw the ol' manual auger in the truck when I head out fishing...'just in case'.

I don't think I could handle a 2 hour drive just to have the trip fall apart due to technical difficulties (which apparently don't apply only to gas augers )

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geezle; 02-04-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I don't have an Ion and have never used one, so I can't really say I have an opinion on it.

The only thing I can say is there is a reason I always still throw the ol' manual auger in the truck when I head out fishing...'just in case'.

I don't think I could handle a 2 hour drive for no fishing just to have the trip fall apart due to technical difficulties (which apparently don't apply only to gas augers )
X2 and the benefit of the ion is that I can interchange my 6" manual auger with the factory 8" one and vice versa . This way I have a lot of options in the event I have "issues".
Old 02-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Over the past 9 years or so I've researched and tried to convince myself to get a power auger. I just couldn't justify $400 and up and another Jerry can in my garage, when my $50 manual did the same thing with a little elbow grease...that said I decided to go Ion this year and pulled the trigger Boxing Day ( not that I saved any money lol). The only negative reviews I've heard and read were from people who never used one, and all who did loved them. It's been worth every penny so far. No lack of power, charging every 3 trips (and that's only for my own piece of mind, it could likely last 3 more trips), light weight, no gas spills. I have dropped it (oops) and no damaged parts or cracks. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Yeah I was kicking myself for not taking a back up. The Ion had worked well on my previous trip so I never bothered. Should know better by now!just got lazy and paid the price. I've never needed the backup since I got the old Strikemaster and stopped throwing it in. Won't make that mistake again.