Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM

Default Your thoughts on overfishing? (school project)

Hey, I'm posting this because I have a school project. I need to know your guys' opinion on overfishing. My project is due on the 25th so please comment as much as possible. This would really help.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:44 PM

Over fishing is bad m'kay.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyCatchesFish15 View Post
Hey, I'm posting this because I have a school project. I need to know your guys' opinion on overfishing. My project is due on the 25th so please comment as much as possible. This would really help.
I wouldnt call it overfishing but my girl friend always complains that I am at the lake too much.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:50 PM

I think that commercial fishing would do more dammage then overfishing... both imo are detremental to the health of fish populations in alberta...
Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM

im all for it..........
Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM

I would suggest that if you are doing this for a school project, you should probably ask more direct questions. What about over fishing are you wanting to know? Obviously everybody would likely agree that over fishing is bad. What body of water are you talking about? What species? What region? Commercial or public fishing? Are you looking for info on potential solutions or just opinions on the problem. Is there even a problem?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:09 PM

When proper regulations are in place over fishing is usually caused by poaching

Unfortunately some don't understand harvesting in moderation
Old 02-03-2014, 03:11 PM

Yeah I don't understand what you are looking to do a project on either.

I wouldn't say there is a overfishing problem anywhere. Over harvest is an issue however, whether that is due to sport fishermen, commercial fishing or subsistence fishing by first nations.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:32 PM

What me and my wife argue about is NONE OF your Friggen Buisness!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
When proper regulations are in place over fishing is usually caused by poaching

Unfortunately some don't understand harvesting in moderation

I am not too sure the regulations always cover all the bases. Each fisherman is usually permitted X number of fish per day....but what regulates how many fisher days actually get put in on a particular body of water??

Usually what happens is someone catches a lunker and advertises it, then every tom dick and harry starts fishing that body of water.....fished out in no time.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:29 PM

Define over fishing

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-03-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I am not too sure the regulations always cover all the bases. Each fisherman is usually permitted X number of fish per day....but what regulates how many fisher days actually get put in on a particular body of water??

Usually what happens is someone catches a lunker and advertises it, then every tom dick and harry starts fishing that body of water.....fished out in no time.
It is a guessing game really when it comes to fishing regs true.

If they get the numbers right it works if they are way off it fails and the regs need to be tightened.

Would still say those who exceed their limit are is a bigger problem
Old 02-03-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
It is a guessing game really when it comes to fishing regs true.

If they get the numbers right it works if they are way off it fails and the regs need to be tightened.

Would still say those who exceed their limit are is a bigger problem
I think they are probably both problems that create over fishing....one guy catchs 50 fish, or 10 guys catch 5...all the same effect.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 PM

Just curious, how do OUR thoughts play into YOUR project?

See what I'm getting at here?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Let me try and give a few thoughts that hopefully helps you .....

The term "overfishing" really relates to amount of harvest in excess of the watershed's ability to recover (or maintain) a healthy population of species.

A few key points for you to discuss ..... (assuming you are discussing Alberta in your paper).

- Ratio of fisherman vesus lakes in Alberta when compared to similar geography/climate - comparing Sask walleye/pike/perch/whites to Alberta's walleye/pike/perch/whites. You will find a 20 fold disparity in this area (Sask with 90,000 lakes versus Alberta's 9000 lakes) and (twice the licenced fishermen here versus Sask).

- Effects of commercial quotas compared to both lakes and raw harvest quotas (M/kg).

- Effects of environmental factors such as pollution, recruitment, etc...; management strategies; enforcement; and stocking/replenishment strategies.

Lastly,

I'd definitely ask a local Bio for his/her thoughts .......... it might be insightful.

Good luck ......... I'm going fishing while we are still allowed to keep some fish !!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 PM

Overfishing is ok if your wife doesn't mind you being gone all the time otherwise I can see how it could be hard on a relationship

Fish + Fisherman = Harvested Fish

Fish + Too Many Fisherman = Overfishing = Over Harvest

Ocean Fish + Too Many People on Earth + Commercial boats = empty ocean syndrome

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Interesting how people think commercial fishing in Alberta contributes to 'over" fishing....
Old 02-03-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Interesting how people think commercial fishing in Alberta contributes to 'over" fishing....
Any fishing pressure, including commercial harvest, will contribute to over-fishing where a lake is susceptible to over-harvest.

The argument is really what impact does it have. Is it significant? In some cases, I'm sure it makes a significant impact.

In some cases it may enhance other species - as an example, removal of whites may have a positive impact on other competing sport fish.

I'm sure the argument really depends on the particular and/or discrete watershed.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 AM

Default rotate lakes

What I recommend is to rotate lakes for keeping fish on a 4 year cycle where every 4th year you can keep a limit from that specific lake This was tried up by edmonton on hastings lake a number of years ago (20) and after the second or third year the perch were a nice size. Once opened up though one summer/winter cleaned out most of the larger perch but I think my suggestion would work, it seems plausable.
cheers
Goose
Old 02-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Banned

Boy I always thought there where a lot of a##hol#es on this board and the majority of replies seem to prove this out. Hopefully you guys only fish and hunt and do not reproduce.
Over fishing is a major concern, especially as more people move to Alberta and our great commi government reduces it responsibility to the environment.
The primary promblems are:

Lack of a consistent effective management program.
Lack of personnel to implement, monitor and enforce such programs
Increased population
Loss of natural habitats
40 years of CONservative government and their inability to realize that a good game (fish) management program will increase revenue not decrease it.
Poaching/POACHing and More POACHING
Old 02-04-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beornottobe View Post
Boy I always thought there where a lot of a##hol#es on this board and the majority of replies seem to prove this out. Hopefully you guys only fish and hunt and do not reproduce.
Over fishing is a major concern, especially as more people move to Alberta and our great commi government reduces it responsibility to the environment.

Increased population
Loss of natural habitats
40 years of CONservative government and their inability to realize that a good game (fish) management program will increase revenue not decrease it.
Before you go calling a lot of respectable members a**holes, I'd take a look in the mirror and see who the real a**hole is.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beornottobe View Post

Increased population
Loss of natural habitats
Sooooo...do you have anything to contribute? Y'know...maybe some positive suggestions?

Seems like you're just trying to stir up chit.

Post reported.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-04-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabetickripple View Post
before you go calling a lot of respectable members a**holes, i'd take a look in the mirror and see who the real a**hole is.
lol

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM

upwards and onwards
Old 02-04-2014, 02:42 PM

Looking at historical net fishing it is interesting to note that for the past 200 years some of Alberta lakes have been netted regularly. And still to this day they are still netted. During that span of time fisheries occasionally collapsed at some lakes, but a few years later there would be an abundance of fish at those lakes again.

IMO- Overfishing is not just the human factor... Aside from more humans harvesting more fish, environmental factors and other predatory species come into play.

-Blue-green algae blooms in lakes will kill thousands of fish (and wildlife and birds).
-Winterkill and summerkill due to water oxygenation and vegetation factors.

-Parasites and other infestations may contribute to fish die offs also.

-* Fish eating birds.
Example: Double breasted cormorants were on the endangered list in the 70's. Well they have made a big comeback since then. Recently, back in 2005 just in the lakeland district, within a 45 km. radius of Lac La Biche there were 8000 nesting pairs. Each nest has an average of 1.5 offspring. so 16000 adults and 12000 offspring within 45 km. radius. So 28000 fish eating cormorants in that small area. (In 1984 there were only an estimated 2300 breeding pairs in the whole province.)

The osprey, loons, pelicans, herons and cormorants are all fishing more than the people because they are fishing constantly every day. Otters and mink are also fisheaters.

Because Alberta has a limited number of water bodies it probably will come to a time that a draw system similar to the walleye draws we have now will be implimented for all species. That may keep the humans in check but the birds and environment are still going to be a major factor.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Looking at historical net fishing it is interesting to note that for the past 200 years some of Alberta lakes have been netted regularly. And still to this day they are still netted. During that span of time fisheries occasionally collapsed at some lakes, but a few years later there would be an abundance of fish at those lakes again.

IMO- Overfishing is not just the human factor... Aside from more humans harvesting more fish, environmental factors and other predatory species come into play.

-Blue-green algae blooms in lakes will kill thousands of fish (and wildlife and birds).

-* Fish eating birds.
Example: Double breasted cormorants were on the endangered list in the 70's. Well they have made a big comeback since then. Recently, back in 2005 just in the lakeland district, within a 45 km. radius of Lac La Biche there were 8000 nesting pairs. Each nest has an average of 1.5 offspring. so 16000 adults and 12000 offspring within 45 km. radius. So 28000 fish eating cormorants in that small area. (In 1984 there were only an estimated 2300 breeding pairs in the whole province.)

The osprey, loons, pelicans, herons and cormorants are all fishing more than the people because they are fishing constantly every day. Otters and mink are also fisheaters.

Because Alberta has a limited number of water bodies it probably will come to a time that a draw system similar to the walleye draws we have now will be implimented for all species. That may keep the humans in check but the birds and environment are still going to be a major factor.
Good post! Definitely overlooked by most.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

-* Fish eating birds.

good post .... agreed ........... one point to support and underpin some of the thoughts and to expand on another.

Weed infested lakes with excessive nutrients (or algae blooms), which choke off oxygen levels and kill fish and birds can be correlated to human activity.

In hypereutrophic and eutrophic lakes particularly, low oxygen levels are often a result of human activity - waste water, fertilizer and run off from agriculture etc...

Although some lakes that do experience winterkill or algae blooms have little to do with activity , many, many more do.

Man's activity does play a role in injecting too much nutrients into lakes and watersheds causing many die offs. This is more prevalent in shallow prairie lakes surrounded by some agricultural lands,
Old 02-04-2014, 08:38 PM

Tothe OP, my first post, of course i was just kidding, pretty hard to have a sense of humor on this forum... But i have to agree with EZM & Red Bullets, agricultural run off,polution and habitat loss have a far bigger impact on fisheries than overfishing IMO!