Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2018, 08:34 PM

Default Calling lake report

Finally got out to calling this afternoon.we wondered what the access would be. Drove on on the east side north of the tower. The ice ridge near shore is still only about 2 feet high and no problem to drive over. We found the snow to be about a foot deep near shore but only about 6 to 8 inches out on the lake. Will be needing an extension soon as the auger motor was down to the snow before it drilled through. No problem to drive even to break your own trail. Walleyes bit towards evening and our keekers were males. Rained the whole time we were there.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the update Seahawk!!

I was with Sportsman and NSR on the weekend in the - 30 C on Sunday and while it was very calm, it was very cold. Lots of things did not like the cold, but the fish were there.

Could not find the perch, but ling, walleye, pike, and a lot of hits that had to have been ling!!!

Ice was very thick though!!!

Hope the trails did not blow in as it was a job to cut trail across the lake with the heavy crust on the snow, but once broke it was OK driving.

The East side did have some heavy snow at the drive on, but once on the ice it was not bad.

Drewski
Old 02-14-2018, 09:13 PM

Does any one know what access at provincial park boat launch is like , heard access was bad cause of ice heave.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:06 AM

I have not tried the provincial launch. We have been driving on north of the tower. As drewski said there is a hard crust out on the lake that makes it slow going but the snow is not deep. That big wind we had the other night could have piled up the snow along shore, which could make getting on a challenge. We did see trucks on the ice off to the north where the ice shacks are so there must be an access point up there.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 AM

There is a huge heave in front of the provincial park launches. I found the access point near the tower and one further north.
How deep were you guys having luck?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:18 PM

Me and Drewski and Sportman tried 8-10 feet deep out in front of the cabins and found some walleye, a few were just inside the slot size. Enough for a fish fry the first day at least! There's some shacks planted in the area for a reason I guess haha.

That's as good a place to start as any.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:32 PM

Is the tower access onto the lake just off calling lake drive?have only every went on by provintial park.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:09 PM

Glenn D,

Go past the PP on 813. Go up to the tower past the bridge on the Calling River. You will see the Blackfly Convenience Store on the Right, turn to the Left at the T intersection.

Go past the ball diamonds and past the Alberta Forestry Fire Fighting Station. Keep going around the S turn and you will see a very large Cabin with Detached Garage and attached Triple Garage. There will be a side road going straight out on the lake. Bit of a drift on the edge, and a bit of a hump, but as long as you have clearance, and good tires with a 4 x 4 last weekend was doable.

By the way, Sportsman and NSR Fisher are two of the toughest guys I've met in a while. I was in the Tent with the Heater, they fished outside, in - 30 C.

A pleasure to spend the weekend with those two, and look forward to more trips with them!!!

Drewski
Old 02-18-2018, 06:29 PM

Was out today and the wind was realy howling,drifting the snow prety good in some spots. Snow is really hard packed too, a 4by4 is a must where i was fishing and extension for augar a good idea.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:57 AM

Glenn,

I'm spending the weekend painting the basement, Still!

Almost done though so looking for some play time next weekend.

You really should make sure you have tire chains with you as sooner or later you will hit that one hard drift that stalls you out, or stick to a main trail that has already been run a few times.

Last three trips on the perch hunt at Calling have been a bust for me and everyone else. The Spot has produced consistently for another group after Christmas and nice perch as well. That's why I keep the faith on the spot.

But the Walleye and burbs really liked the bad weather and the spot is consistent all day long!

Drewski
Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 PM

Ya forsure drewski snow chains are a good idea, especialy around shore where the snow has been building upfrom wind. That lake is so wide open the wind gets realy strong.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:53 AM

Checked out calling again yesterday. You can still drive on just north of the tower. We drove up to ben auger park to check out that access but it looked like some deep snow near shore and no one had attempted to drive on. Once on the lake the drifts are hard but not deep. Once you make a track or find an old one it is easy going. Breaking your own trail is a little tougher but no problwm with a 4x4.