Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-06-2009, 01:33 PM

Default "after the shot" question - help!

Hey guys,

So this morning I headed out to my treestand - after I was settled in, I waited a bit and the hit my can call a couple of times. I waited a bit more, then I hit it again followed by a tending grunt. I was looking towards a scrape I had found about 50 yards to my left, and suddenly movement caught my eye to the right. A buck had just appeared out of the pines, a decent 4x4 nothing spectacular but I had no time to lose. He circled around to my right and stopped just past my mock scrape broadside, and I knew the range was about 30 yards. Last week I took a doe from the same stand although at only 20 yards, and I know my arrow hit quite high. I had not compensated for this on that shot, so I did my best this time and aimed slightly low. I let the arrow go, but to my dismay there was no thump and off he went. Well he had no idea what had just happened, and luckily he didn't take off but kept circling around behind me. I readied another arrow in case he gave me another opportunity, and sure enough he stopped in a good clear lane - I ranged him, 32 yards. I loosed another arrow, and again no thump except for the sound of my arrow burying itself in a large pine tree root. I watched him leave, he wasn't in a hurry but just kind of loping along but didn't look hurt. I was very disappointed with myself, I think I definitely had some buck fever going on.

I waited for quite a while just thinking about what had transpired, and it was starting to get really bright out so I figured I would call it a morning and head home to do some chores and come back out tonight. When I recovered the second arrow, I noticed there was about a handful of white hair on the ground. However my arrow was completely clean, not a speck of blood or fluid of any kind. I walked about 10 yards towards where I saw him leave, and noticed a bit of blood on the ground. I followed this towards some more droplets, and then some more. I thought what on earth, I must have somehow hit him really low but there was absolutely nothing on the arrow itself. The blood droplets persisted for a ways, but the distance between them kept increasing until the last few droplets had about 10 or more yards between them, then nothing. I was a bit worried, but I kept thinking there was no way the arrow could have passed through without getting some blood on it.

I have never had this happen before, I haven't shot a ton of deer with my bow but enough to know what the arrow looks like afterwards. Do you think this deer will be alright? I am really hoping it is a minor flesh wound and that he is not be severely wounded. When I get out there tonight should I keep looking? I am really anxious about this and I really hope I didn't wound him, but I keep thinking with the arrow being totally clean it could not have passed through anything.

Any thoughts? I would really appreciate any insight or advice on this. Thanks all!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:54 PM

Default keep looking!

I had almost the same thing happen to me three years ago. As it turns out my shot was high on a pass through and it took me 4.5 hours to track that that buck but I did recover it! Keep tracking looking untill you are comfortable in your mind that the deer will be ok! If it takes a whole day to track and make you comfortable with the idea of that deers health. Hope this helps!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
When I recovered the second arrow, I noticed there was about a handful of white hair on the ground. However my arrow was completely clean, not a speck of blood or fluid of any kind. .... I must have somehow hit him really low but there was absolutely nothing on the arrow itself. The blood droplets persisted for a ways, but the distance between them kept increasing until the last few droplets had about 10 or more yards between them, then nothing.
A passthrough would have blood on the arrow and fletchings. You just grazed the underneath of the belly, especially since you found white hairs. If your arrow does not have a spec of blood, then its not a mortal hit.

Bubbles in blood drops? - lung was hit
Dark Dark blood? liver was hit

Quote:
Do you think this deer will be alright?
Yes

Quote:
I am really hoping it is a minor flesh wound and that he is not be severely wounded.
It sounds like it.

With no blood trail, follow the path of least resistance just to be sure the blood trail does not start again.

Sounds like he's got a stratch ... keep hunting
Old 11-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Thanks cooter - when you had this happen was the arrow clean like that? I am a bit concerned, but I just can't get over how my arrow was absolutely bone dry and clean.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:17 PM

did you ever find your first arrow? maybe you hit him the first shot...

A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider...a caretaker...a leader.
I will never make excuses for who I am... It's the way I was born... I'm a
hunter... A BONE COLLECTOR!!!"
Old 11-06-2009, 02:51 PM

If/when a person finds long white hair and little or no blood you may very well have done nothing more than touched him in the brisket area.
The front low area of the brisket has long white hairs,if this is all that was done I would be willing to bet he will be fine

Ian
Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 PM

Thanks very much everyone. Also, yes I did find the first arrow - I think I forgot to mention that. It was also clean...I can't believe I had the fever that bad, I know my bow is on, I shot it when I got home just to be sure so it was definitely operator error...
Old 11-06-2009, 11:34 PM

Sounds to me, the deer was hit with only a single blade, explaining the hair on the ground and the clean shaft ? Just a guess. I'll bet the deer will survive this encounter!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 PM

I 've had that happen to me a couple of times, I'm guessing your using expandable broad heads? I agree with 3d shooter, It's a single blade haircut with a slight scratch. Nothing that he will even notice, it might not even spook him from returning. Now if you remember if the hair you cut was all white, you were low, but if there is some color to them you you were high.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:00 PM

Default ?

I guess I'll get flamed for this one but here goes anyway.

How many times have I hear people saying that they "just nicked the brisket" but without actually knowing what transpired you'll never really know what happened. Did you run one right through the brisket, just touch hair, or give them a sucking chest wound? Complete pass throughs don't always make a blood coated arrow. Just like a flubbed rifle shot that leaves hair on the ground doesn't mean that you "just nicked him" I'd rather hear people saying that they wounded a deer and didn't recover it than just shrug their shoulders and walk away.

the chef
Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
How many times have I hear people saying that they "just nicked the brisket" but without actually knowing what transpired you'll never really know what happened. Did you run one right through the brisket, just touch hair, or give them a sucking chest wound?
You can only really go on the facts and what you remember from the shot.

Quote:
Complete pass throughs don't always make a blood coated arrow.
I'll go with 'maybe' on this one with you. However, there would be some blood, and definitely some on at least a few fletchings.

Quote:
Just like a flubbed rifle shot that leaves hair on the ground doesn't mean that you "just nicked him" I'd rather hear people saying that they wounded a deer and didn't recover it than just shrug their shoulders and walk away.
He put the effort in to figuring out what happened - what else do you want?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Complete pass throughs don't always make a blood coated arrow.
Just curious, under what conditions won't an arrow be blood coated on a complete pass through?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Just curious, under what conditions won't an arrow be blood coated on a complete pass through?
Wont be any blood on a complete pass through of the antlers if you are looking there when you release the arrow..............

I have never had an arrow that hit solidly not have some blood on it.

One question did it have any white fat on the arrow as the brisket is pretty fatty, and it might have left some fat on the arrow