Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Walleye Draw
A complete cash grab crock and wont apply 65 55.08%
Will apply 53 44.92%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2007, 11:23 AM
FiveO

Default Re: I'm going fishing

That a boy Snapper just sit back and go with the flow, wouldnt want to have any concerns. I believe these so called professionals "SRD" are in the process of messing with Marie lake but thats OK to just sit back and relax and in 25 years when fish stocks are completly in shambles you can take up a new sport.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Duffy4

Fiveoh

Do you really think that the professionals (the staff of Fish & Wildlife) are a bunch of evil folks bent on ruining the fishery?

They may make mistakes and they are the first to admit that. But they try their best to do the best job for the resource and the user groups. They accept constructive critisism and look at recommendations from the public and user groups.

Often their hands get tied by polo-ticks and popo-tickheads.
Other branches of government often get more funding and have more "clout" when it comes to land use and developments that are less than benificial to the environment.

We should not sit on our hands but there is a difference between constructive suggestions and less than constructive "complaining".

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-12-2007, 12:27 PM
FiveO

No I dont think there a bunch of evil folks. I will agree they are way under funded and Provincial gov should shell out more to F&W. However I do strongly believe they screwed alot of the alberta lakes with the closure of walleye. I would love to see more stocking efforts made of Walleye and Yellow perch for a catch and keep fishery but again this requires funding.

My point here Duffy is they collapsed Pike and Perch populations by closing walleye and leaving other species open.
As i said in the thread earlier even the shiner populations are way down from years past. I dont think walleye numbers have ever been so good, but stunted and i think it stinks.

Call it what you want Duffy but its the TRUTH.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:34 PM
SNAPFisher

Default Don't jump to conclusions

Sorry FiveO but you are out to lunch. I was mostly poking fun. As said, I do find it interesting but I certainly don't have the answers and do not indicate otherwise. I do have my own ideas but these are ignorant to how things are truly managed by F&W. I'm sure they have some very competent people working as best they can.

As for Marie Lake, you couldn't be further from the truth. I am gravely concerned about what is happening and could happen there. NB1 is my favorite fishing area. What has happened in Ft. McMurray is frightening. Marie Lake area could be next. I have written letters of concern to a number of public officials as provided on this site in a previous post. I have an article on Ft. McMurray that I am hoping to share with others. What have you done? Would you like a copy of the article on Ft. McMurray?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
FiveO

Default Re: Don't jump to conclusions

Ive sent several emails and got a bunch of BS responses. You refering to the article Neil wrote? If so i already read it, if its a different one i would love to have it.

We all have ideas and anyone who has spent years and years fishing should have a pretty good idea of whats going on so dont sell youself short and consider what you believe to be ignorant on how things are managed by F&W.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:05 PM
SNAPFisher

Default Thanks

Thanks for the comment FiveO. The article I am referring to is from Explore Magazine. I am making a new post with a link to a PDF on the article. I contacted the magazine to get permission to share the article. Please do read it. See post "Article on Fort McMurray".