Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM

I had the opportunity to speak face to face this morning with a couple of influential and well known individuals with regard to this area and issue. After the conversation for me, one thing is very clear. Talking about it here is, shall we say, a proverbial waste of time. Not to mention it's fraught with a ton of misinformation. Gee what a shocker.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I had the opportunity to speak face to face this morning with a couple of influential and well known individuals with regard to this area and issue. After the conversation for me, one thing is very clear. Talking about it here is, shall we say, a proverbial waste of time. Not to mention it's fraught with a ton of misinformation. Gee what a shocker.
Well please share......always good to clear up misinformation.

I think the idea of talking about it here is anything but a waste of time...it allows people to talk knowledgeably about it elsewhere where some change can be made..knowledge is power
Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM

WOW, thats a gold mine you have there WB.....commiting to a real number in writing on official letterhead.....PURE GOLD.

Now lets see if that paper you hold is worth its weight.....

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

I think the idea of talking about it here is anything but a waste of time...it allows people to talk knowledgeably about it elsewhere where some change can be made..knowledge is power
X2....open ended comments with no information provided can be as misguiding....

See below...
Quote:
LC
Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I've tried to spell it out for you already. In one sentence.

Come to think of it your name even came up. Briefly.

Lefty-Canuck, your name didn't.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:

lol....it might have, you don't know my name

I am sure your name came up-chuck?

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 01:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:

Great input as always chuck...thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
lol....it might have, you don't know my name

I am sure your name came up-chuck?

LC
I know it didn't.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I know it didn't.
In general and through my experience (results may vary) the less my name comes up in any context the better... On that we can agree....

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Great input as always chuck...thanks
Write this down.

SRD is behind this initiative 125%. They are driving it. Specifically their enforcement. It has nothing to do with sheep and everything to do with simplifying their job. Got it?

In my humble opinion of course.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Write this down.

SRD is behind this initiative 125%. They are driving it. Specifically their enforcement. It has nothing to do with sheep and everything to do with simplifying their job. Got it?

Now is this the part where you tell us we are screwed and there's nothing we can do about it?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Now is this the part where you tell us we are screwed and there's nothing we can do about it?
I know where I'd put good money. That said, I'll be fighting it tooth and nail. Given past history I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority. But we all talk big on the internet.

I will say this T.J. I am hearing your name, as I have eluded to. And what is being said means guys are taking notice. A good thing and I honestly wish you were with us today. We had for and against represented and we had a great conversation and valid argument on both sides and interesting information shared. The discussion of "expensive" draw application and tag costs came up as well. And I didn't bring it up.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-03-2012, 06:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
The discussion of "expensive" draw application and tag costs came up as well. And I didn't bring it up.
SRD has assured me that option is off the table.

Good to hear things are being discussed. It's important that everyone knows the facts before any decisions are made. I'm not really sure I'm on any for or against side right now.....it's just that Alberta hunters need to know how each of the three scenarios will affect them. That was not accurately portrayed at AGMAG. It's also important that SRD explore all options if ram populations are in trouble...not just managing hunters. I know people are talking...my phone has been ringing non-stop. A lot of people seem worried about my February feature in Alberta Outdoorsmen

Truthfully, it just lays out a lot of facts and asks a lot of questions. It seems that is frightening some. I'm guessing most of my invites to meeting to discuss this are going to get lost in the mail...lol Who was meeting today?

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-03-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Write this down.

How does the proposed changes help their enforcement Chuck?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:10 PM

Who is attending all these secret meetings? where people's names are/or are not being brought up and such?

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 06:22 PM

Lefty just curious do you hunt sheep?

Would be nice if one of my emails could be responded too....
Old 01-03-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Lefty just curious do you hunt sheep?
Would be nice if one of my emails could be responded too....
Yes I have, I am not one of the lucky ones who is a priority 14+ though for draws....so I mostly have gone with guys who have been lucky to draw I act as a "spotter" and "assistant". I would like to see more opportunities but I understand that some folks who are a high priority and have not been drawn yet would not like changes.

Case in point a good friend of mine has been putting in for sheep since before the priority system was in place.....and has yet to be drawn so he has the highest possible priority (and then some, even though the extra years are not recognised)....he and several others on this site going to get screwed big time if they remove the draw priorities....

Honestly for a new guy coming in.....is it even mathematically possible to get drawn in a lifetime if you started putting in for trophy sheep this year?

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Mathematically possible for 410 but that's about it I believe .

Quote:
Yes I have, I am not one of the lucky ones who is a priority 14+ though for draws....so I mostly have gone with guys who have been lucky to draw I act as a "spotter" and "assistant". I would like to see more opportunities but I understand that some folks who are a high priority and have not been drawn yet would not like changes.

Case in point a good friend of mine has been putting in for sheep since before the priority system was in place.....and has yet to be drawn so he has the highest possible priority (and then some, even though the extra years are not recognised)....he and several others on this site going to get screwed big time if they remove the draw priorities....

Honestly for a new guy coming in.....is it even mathematically possible to get drawn in a lifetime if you started putting in for trophy sheep this year?

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
How does the proposed changes help their enforcement Chuck?
Once again. If SRD gets their way and we have a draw it will likely be any sheep (no legal restrictions). The biggest thorn in the side of enforcement who are in areas that deal with it is the registration of rams (legal vs. not legal), court cases, getting accused of screwing up, and the list goes on. I even know enforcement that refuse to register rams anymore.

They want it on draw and have done for years. If anyone here can give me evidence contrary to that I'm all ears. So far I haven't seen any.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Mathematically possible for 410 but that's about it I believe .
Unless you did a lot of 999ing, you can draw 410 much sooner. WMU437 is the only one of the original priority draws where all top priority has not been drawn I believe. I switched from 437 to 408 and have never drawn so somewhere in the computer I should have all those "sheep" priority points too although only my 408 points are listed on albertarelm.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:

LC
You do know you can hunt sheep here without a draw don't you?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-03-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Once again. If SRD gets their way and we have a draw it will be any sheep. The biggest thorn in the side of enforcement who are in areas that deal with it is the registration of rams (legal vs. not legal), court cases, getting accused of screwing up, and the list goes on. I even know enforcement that refuse to register rams anymore.

They want it on draw and have done for years. If anyone here can give me evidence contrary to that I'm all ears. So far I haven't seen any.
SRD is wanting the draw to be for "any size sheep"?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Unless you did a lot of 999ing, you can draw 410 much sooner. WMU437 is the only one of the original priority draws where all top priority has not been drawn I believe. I switched from 437 to 408 and have never drawn so somewhere in the computer I should have all those "sheep" priority points too although only my 408 points are listed on albertarelm.
Why is it for sheep if you switch zones you have to rebuild priorities?.....that could be the answer if they change the system and the 30 or so remaining guys in 437 can take the priorities with them if they switch zones....

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Once again. If SRD gets their way and we have a draw it will be any sheep. The biggest thorn in the side of enforcement who are in areas that deal with it is the registration of rams (legal vs. not legal), court cases, getting accused of screwing up, and the list goes on. I even know enforcement that refuse to register rams anymore.

I've heard the idea of an any sheep draw talked about in passing and it's referenced in Anne's Clearwater presentation but SRD presented the number of 1150 draw permits to AGMAG. There's no way they could give out that many permits with an "any sheep" draw. The idea of central registration offices has also been discussed. I see this happening long before an "any sheep" draw. We'd be down to a couple hundred permits province wide on an any sheep draw. I don't buy it.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
You do know you can hunt sheep here without a draw don't you?
Yes Chuck I do. My decision of where I hunt comes with areas I am familiar with. I am not one of the guys who puts in a draw for an area I don't know and then comes here asking for spots to go....

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Why is it for sheep if you switch zones you have to rebuild priorities?.....that could be the answer if they change the system and the 30 or so remaining guys in 437 can take the priorities with them if they switch zones....

LC
They are different draw codes. Priority only transfers within the same draw code.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
They are different draw codes. Priority only transfers within the same draw code.
I understand that I am just curious WHY it is like that for sheep and not other species....for instance I can switch zones for moose if I like but not for sheep. I just wonder the reasoning for setting it up like that for sheep?

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I understand that I am just curious WHY it is like that for sheep and not other species....for instance I can switch zones for moose if I like but not for sheep. I just wonder the reasoning for setting it up like that for sheep?

LC
Because SRD screwed up when they set the draws up for sheep.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Because SRD screwed up when they set the draws up for sheep.
OK....that is an explaination I can understand I couldn't figure out for the life of me a rational reason but that explains it!

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Once again. If SRD gets their way and we have a draw it will likely be any sheep (no legal restrictions). The biggest thorn in the side of enforcement who are in areas that deal with it is the registration of rams (legal vs. not legal), court cases, getting accused of screwing up, and the list goes on. I even know enforcement that refuse to register rams anymore.

Hey Chuck thanks for the info, I've heard especially last year that on more than one occasion that short sheep were plugged knowing full well they were short but that SRD has gotten to the point that they were done charging anyone for short rams. The reason told to me was that they can not get a conviction. Up until now I haven't heard a good reason why they can't get these convictions. With your recent discussions can you comment a little on this if it was part of the discussion and if this is part of the issue at hand.

Thanks.