Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 06:35 PM

Default AWD tire help

Probably best asked on a car forum but I know we have a few experts here.
Wife hit a screw with her ford explorer. It's just past the edge of the tread so I don't think repairable. Doesn't seem to be into the sidewall but makes me nervous to plug or patch.
Couple questions:
Being AWD do all 4 tires need replacing. Currently have about 58000km, tires measuring about 6/32. Google has varying opinions, mostly depending on model and how big a chance you want to take.

Second will lt tires make it ride like a 1 ton? I'm looking at reviews and bfgoodrich ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT seem great but are lt tires. Load rating is 109 and currently the car has the stock hankook with load rating 104. Will that make a huge difference?

Looking to go with an all weather tire that's snowflake rated.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:32 PM

Do the tires not have a road hazard coverage? I picked up a sheet metal screw in one tire near the sidewall, and Kal Tire gave me a pro rated replacement on all four tires. The tires were 50% worn, so they gave me 50% off on four new tires.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:40 PM

It really is model related but I'd replace all just to be cautious.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:42 PM
AO Sponsor

Not all awd vehicles are as sensitive to circumference differential as another, and 2 wheel drive engaging 4 wheel drive when needed is a bit different that full time AWD, but 6/32 of remaining where is a point where I would suggest replacing all four. Not because I am worried about a catastrophic issue happening one minute to the next, but because full time AWD vehicles work by transferring power around to the different wheels base on slipping or detecting tires turning at different rates, the indifference can, and will, cause the vehicle to transfer power around in way that is not optimizing the handling system because it confuses the system with the different rolling circumferences. Not only is the AWD not optimized like this, it can most definitely create premature wear on the related components by working overtime. Again though, not all systems are as sensitive as others so it is best to confirm with the manufacturer as to what variance they consider acceptable as to not negatively affect warranty.

As for repairing a tire like that, I cannot say with certainty without seeing it, but shoulder repairs done properly are not the huge issue they try and make it seem today, but you are the only one who needs to be comfortable with it so if you are not, new tires are of course always a safe, albeit possibly unnecessary choice.

I would not run LT rated tires on an Explorer if it was me. You are giving up a lot of benefits for no real gain and spending more money to do so. That said, the BFG you are talking about may be a P rated. The model name is LT but not all sizes are LT rated (Load Range C or greater). Personally I think there are some better all weather tires on the market than that specific one for winter ability but that said I do not think it is a poor product. I just feel you may get more for your money in some other stuff with a bit of digging. A lot will depend on your specific tire size as not all models are made in every size, and the explorers have a bunch of different size options from the factory.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-19-2019, 07:56 PM

Default AWD tire help

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Do the tires not have a road hazard coverage? I picked up a sheet metal screw in one tire near the sidewall, and Kal Tire gave me a pro rated replacement on all four tires. The tires were 50% worn, so they gave me 50% off on four new tires.

No road hazzard as they are still the stock tires, only defects covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Not all awd vehicles are as sensitive to circumference differential as another, and 2 wheel drive engaging 4 wheel drive when needed is a bit different that full time AWD, but 6/32 of remaining where is a point where I would suggest replacing all four. Not because I am worried about a catastrophic issue happening one minute to the next, but because full time AWD vehicles work by transferring power around to the different wheels base on slipping or detecting tires turning at different rates, the indifference can, and will, cause the vehicle to transfer power around in way that is not optimizing the handling system because it confuses the system with the different rolling circumferences. Not only is the AWD not optimized like this, it can most definitely create premature wear on the related components by working overtime. Again though, not all systems are as sensitive as others so it is best to confirm with the manufacturer as to what variance they consider acceptable as to not negatively affect warranty.

As for repairing a tire like that, I cannot say with certainty without seeing it, but shoulder repairs done properly are not the huge issue they try and make it seem today, but you are the only one who needs to be comfortable with it so if you are not, new tires are of course always a safe, albeit possibly unnecessary choice.

I would not run LT rated tires on an Explorer if it was me. You are giving up a lot of benefits for no real gain and spending more money to do so. That said, the BFG you are talking about may be a P rated. The model name is LT but not all sizes are LT rated (Load Range C or greater). Personally I think there are some better all weather tires on the market than that specific one for winter ability but that said I do not think it is a poor product. I just feel you may get more for your money in some other stuff with a bit of digging. A lot will depend on your specific tire size as not all models are made in every size, and the explorers have a bunch of different size options from the factory.

Thanks Bob! Hoping you would chime in. If i was closer to Calgary I'd definitely be coming to see you. I'll attach a picture in case anyone wants to see. Size is 255/50R20 which seems to have limited choices?

Old 02-19-2019, 08:29 PM

Speed..... just my $0.02 for nothing, I used to work in a tire shop many years ago, in those years we would not recommend to patch or plug that tire, repair procedures may have changed in todays world that I may not know of, If your a gambling man and tirebob thinks it could be safely repaired then repair. I would say replace all 4 tires, you say there's about 6/32 remaining however there appears to be more wear on the outside edge of the tire,I also think that unless your carrying or hauling heavy loads or going off road, AT tires may be a little overkill and P rated tires will be all you need, saving you a few bucks and a slightly smoother ride.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:36 PM
Banned

I professionally don't like the position of that puncture
Old 02-19-2019, 09:00 PM
AO Sponsor

Honestly, that is right on the wire if it were a pinhole (slips through with no damage to the individual cord structures), but that screw looks a bit beefy and the with saw tooth effect of the threads going through that thin of an area there is a good chance the cords are damaged and that would render it dead, at least imho. Again, I am looking at an internet pic and not inspecting the tire in person both inside and out, but yeah I would say it is sketchy.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-19-2019, 09:10 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone. I figured it was borderline and don't want to risk it for a grand or so. At least it's a chance to get some better tires than the stockers.
If anyone has any SUV favourites let me know. Seems a lot of the ones I look at aren't available in my 255/50R20 size.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
Probably best asked on a car forum but I know we have a few experts here.
Wife hit a screw with her ford explorer. It's just past the edge of the tread so I don't think repairable. Doesn't seem to be into the sidewall but makes me nervous to plug or patch.
Couple questions:
Being AWD do all 4 tires need replacing. Currently have about 58000km, tires measuring about 6/32. Google has varying opinions, mostly depending on model and how big a chance you want to take.

Second will lt tires make it ride like a 1 ton? I'm looking at reviews and bfgoodrich ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT seem great but are lt tires. Load rating is 109 and currently the car has the stock hankook with load rating 104. Will that make a huge difference?

Looking to go with an all weather tire that's snowflake rated.

If you got 60,000Km out of those facotry tires Id be happy with that and be ready to buy a new set.

I would not risk repairing that puncture, can it be done, yes, but at what cost....

You'll like the BFG Advantage sports LT, another option for an SUV would be the Nokian G3 SUV or Nordman WR SUV, also snowflake/all weather rated. can be found at Kal Tire.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
Thanks for all the help everyone. I figured it was borderline and don't want to risk it for a grand or so. At least it's a chance to get some better tires than the stockers.
If anyone has any SUV favourites let me know. Seems a lot of the ones I look at aren't available in my 255/50R20 size.
I had Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires installed on my vehicle late last summer, and they have performed very well on the ice and snow, as well as in the rain.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_randall View Post
If you got 60,000Km out of those facotry tires Id be happy with that and be ready to buy a new set.

I would not risk repairing that puncture, can it be done, yes, but at what cost....

You'll like the BFG Advantage sports LT, another option for an SUV would be the Nokian G3 SUV or Nordman WR SUV, also snowflake/all weather rated. can be found at Kal Tire.
Unfortunately wg3/wg4 not available in my size...good to hear the BFG are well liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I had Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires installed on my vehicle late last summer, and they have performed very well on the ice and snow, as well as in the rain.
This is another I was looking at. Good reviews
Old 02-20-2019, 08:46 AM

Ive got the same ride and only got 35k outta the factory tires. I would look at different sizes as well. I think I went with a 255/45/20 and it had less than a km./hr affect on my speedo.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 AM

Default Tires

I put michilim LTX tires on a 2005 Ford Escape.
80,000 Km's and tires show little wear.