Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 05:14 PM

Default Subaru Test Drive Gone Bad... Really Bad

Had to take a family illness day as my son had two doctor appointments at different places, and a set of x-rays at yet another place. Two were in the morning and one later in the afternoon. I had a couple hours to kill, so I thought I best take a Subaru Outback for a test drive, as I have been seriously considering one to replace the F-150 I sold yesterday. Anyhow, go to dealership and they give me a car and say it's yours for 1/2 hour. Bonus. No salesman in car as he was busy.

So, I say to myself, "Self, if you're gonna drop $36k on a car because you read in the internet that it is good in snow, you better see for yourself."

I quickly proceed to a field I run my dog in cuz I know it has lots of snow. Lol. I put it through its paces in about 8" and man this thing is the bomb. Almost like a Skidoo. So, I say to myself, "Self, time to up the level of difficulty and go for some deeper snow." I proceed. Thirty seconds later, all by my lonesome, I question why I talk to myself. Stuck tighter than bark on a tree. High centred.

I look out my window and lo and behold a gravel truck is dumping his load, as I was at the outskirts of a new neighborhood. Salvation. In my penny loafers, I trudge through the snow to his truck and ask for a hand. He looks at me like I have early onset dementia, and very begrudgingly agrees to hoof it over and drive as I try and push my test car. No luck. He cursed and walks away.

Now, I'm left to call the dealership. The salesman can't believe his ears. I tell him to send multiple men with multiple shovels. He asks for a pin on Google maps. I oblige.

Half hour goes by. I text my AO buddies. They laugh hilariously. The Subaru Posse arrives about 15 minutes later.

Much cursing and questioning of my sanity by the shop hands, and we are on our way, no worse for wear. I think I have crossed the Outback off my list, though it is a formidable station wagon. I am quite sure I will be the subject of jokes for years to come. Lol.

Tonight, I try a Ridgeline. I think I will stay on the beaten path

PS: If you get stuck bad, don't bother texting Pixelshooter. He will only make fun of you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 02-20-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:18 PM

Subaru be doo

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-20-2019, 05:21 PM

Well it could be worse, you could have busted off a bunch of plastic and had to cough up some cash.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:24 PM

If you plan on driving off-road through snow like that on a regular basis, I'd be getting a 4x4 truck with better tires, otherwise the Subaru will probably do fine to use as intended.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Well....there is no way in hell I'd ever tell that story on AO ....what were you thinking?

As for Pixel, I totally see that as a legit response. Although in fairness, I almost put a brand new Porsche 911 4S sideways into a snow bank at at a winter driving course that Edmonton Porsche hosted....that'll make your sphincter pucker, as you remember the waiver you signed.

So curiouser, if you had torn off some good bits underneath, maybe exhaust or some heat shields or such...would you be on the hook for off roading it?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well....there is no way in hell I'd ever tell that story on AO ....what were you thinking?

As for Pixel, I totally see that as a legit response. Although in fairness, I almost put a brand new Porsche 911 4S sideways into a snow bank at at a winter driving course that Edmonton Porsche hosted....that'll make your sphincter pucker, as you remember the waiver you signed.

So curiouser, if you had torn off some good bits underneath, maybe exhaust or some heat shields or such...would you be on the hook for off roading it?
Not taking oneself too seriously is good.

For sure I would have been on the hook.

I was just cruising powder not serious off-roading
Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
If you plan on driving off-road through snow like that on a regular basis, I'd be getting a 4x4 truck with better tires, otherwise the Subaru will probably do fine to use as intended.
He had a 4x4 lol.

Good times Sns2. Good thing the dealer didn't hose you for"damages" sustained in the test drive. I think it would have been like a Seinfeld episode if you had the salesman in the car when you tried that.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:52 PM

Lol...nice work, I bet that salesman got an earful too

LC
Old 02-20-2019, 05:52 PM

All of us have been there and done that (or similar lapses in judgement).

Don't say we didn't tell you so on your previous thread discussing pickups versus sedans/crossovers!!!!!

Besides, how many decoys can you really fit into that thing?

Old 02-20-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Not taking oneself too seriously is good.

For sure I would have been on the hook.

I was just cruising powder not serious off-roading

Yeah, concur on that not being too serious...you should see the shirts I wear when on vacation...Mambo Loud!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-20-2019, 05:55 PM

I told you that it wasn't going to go through snow like a 4x4 truck, but Oh No, you had to try it for yourself.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:00 PM

Been there done that with a Ford F150 4x4 in the alley behind an Elementary school in Saskatoon. Dug myself out.
No 4x4 is proof against high centering.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:01 PM

While you are looking try out one of those 4 door jeep wranglers and let us know what you think of it. Where you want to go you need something a little more than a ski hill vehicle.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Been there done that with a Ford F150 4x4 in the alley behind an Elementary school in Saskatoon. Dug myself out.
No 4x4 is proof against high centering.
A 4x4 truck does have more clearance, and you have the option of filling the box with the snow to sink the truck down to where it can get traction. If the snow isn't heavily crusted, you can push it with the bumper and still get through if you have enough weight, and don't stop.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:04 PM
Banned

Those piles of gravel in the background are a better test.
Until that Subaru is on top of one, you really haven't proved a thing...
Old 02-20-2019, 06:07 PM
Banned

I think you should find another dealer. There was obviously something wrong with the demo vehicle they gave you. Maybe do a video of the next test drive, ensure the audio is on also.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:10 PM

Oh man... now I wish I hadn't told you how awesome my Forester was in snow, lol. Glad it turned out OK in the end... and you did find out what you needed to know!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:17 PM

Omg I’m still busting a gut. Best find out now lol. Knowing you and want to find comparisons we will get to see how much further u get in that field. I mean u need a honest comparison lol. Positive note you already have the pin marked It’s too bad you would have looked good in a family patty wagon Priceless
Old 02-20-2019, 06:19 PM

what kind of tire did it had ?? maybe it just the tires... go try it again
Old 02-20-2019, 06:29 PM

Saw some hot shot in a brand new BMW on a test drive from the Heritage Drive BMW in Calgary.

Heading south to the on ramp to the Deerfoot he blew the light then accelerated into the curve. Slightly rain and the pavement was wet. He got to the high side of the curve and kept going over the edge, down thru the ditch on the wet grass right up on to the Deerfoot, all sideways. Fortunately he got stopped by the time he hit traffic. He then quietly put it in gear and idled to the Glenmore Trail exit and took the car back to the dealership. Not sure if there was a salesperson along.

So don't feel bad it could have been a lot worse.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:34 PM

I’ll bet every other Subaru test drive from now on has a salesman in the passenger seat.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:39 PM

Sorry I’m laughing!!!

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 02-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Banned

Hilarious...i think you just made the dealers "list"...
Old 02-20-2019, 06:44 PM

Ohhh man oh man!

You’d fit right into the crew of misfits I hunt with!

Don’t ever change bud!

Nothin better than being a kid in a man suit.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-20-2019, 07:09 PM

That’s awesome

Now stop playing with the soccer mom vehicles and just by a truck. Or maybe put a few more to the test and post results
Old 02-20-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

You and I and now Porsche 911? I had one at 305km/h in BC last summer. The owner was beside me.

After all I could say was “still alive at 305”

sns2-i think they even faxed a pic of you to United Cycle. You are REALLY blacklisted
Old 02-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Default truck or wagon

two totally different vehicles, what are your needs, go 4runner I say, you have reliability, offroad capabitlity, can tow some,cargo, and people mover and you'll look cool too,
Old 02-20-2019, 07:19 PM

I’m sure it turned out funny, but I tapped out at “tighter than Toby’s arse”.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:30 PM
Banned

SNS is a bigger man than I'll ever be, posting this true story to the group and taking the lumps
Old 02-20-2019, 07:34 PM