Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 PM

Thumbs down stocking list

Went to the SRD website with the stocking list link. Link says "2010 stocking list" and beside the link it says "April 12, 2011" (2 pages). When you click on the link the PDF (authored by Mr J. Wagner) says updated April 11, 2011 but the entire document in from last year.

I e-mailed this guy last year after it took him over a month to update the stocking list during early spring when people are keen and many trout streams are closed. I love taking my kids out for some fun action. He gave me some excuse about high tech issues to updating a PDF file. Sure... Maybe he needs to take a few computer classes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 PM

Hard to stock trout when the lakes are still iced over. (if you are complaining about this years list?)
Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 PM

lol high tec issues... i want to bring my little brother fishing for stocked fish because then he can actualy get something.

plus places get stocked even when there is ice. They drill a hole in the ice like ice fishing and stock the fish in the holes.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 PM

It's pretty much the same year to year anyways but don't expect a 2011 list to be posted until late summer. The 2010 report took longer than usual for an update. At least now it shows any late summer and fall stockings.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Probably not that bad of a thing that the list is not up to the minute. If it was, there are people that would basically drive behind the trucks and be there within a day or two of any stocking that took place. They would fish continuously until the next stocking took place.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 05-03-2011, 10:36 PM

The 2011 report is the update that gives you the Fall stocking report. Go easy on those guys, they do a wad for what they are given to work with.

Most ponds/lakes with aeration overwintered and if they put fish in for September there are likely good numbers remaining. I read the reports in reverse. If you want to catch big trout on ice out you beat the stocking truck to the lake. I don't know what it is about all those new fish but it puts the big stuff off for a while. Not because they are eating them, but maybe just the swarms of dopey 8 inchers flying around the lake?/

From the report on line I can see that Salter, Boehlke's, and a few others got fish in the fall. They stock the same lakes every year anyways. Other than passing interest are you going to let a missing PDF stop you from going out?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:11 AM

A few years back watched them stock Morinville reservoir along hwy 2 . It was really cool and the fish just gathered in a huge school for a couple of hours . It was really neat .
Old 05-04-2011, 03:21 AM

What caught my eye was the monsters being put into Twin lakes.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattattack View Post
What caught my eye was the monsters being put into Twin lakes.
Those are burnt out brood fish from Caroline.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Probably not that bad of a thing that the list is not up to the minute. If it was, there are people that would basically drive behind the trucks and be there within a day or two of any stocking that took place. They would fish continuously until the next stocking took place.
this would not happen.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:12 PM

this would not happen.

check out mt. lorrette ponds within a week of it being stocked
& tell me it doesn,t happen.

orv.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV View Post
this would not happen.

check out mt. lorrette ponds within a week of it being stocked
& tell me it doesn,t happen.

orv.
He makes it sound like a bunch of greedy fish happy people will just check the daily updates for their stocking schedule and chase the trucks around. Of course fishing pressure will go up after the stocking is done. They stock early in the year and it just so happens that camping/fishing season soon follows. Some people may hold off on fishing until the stocking happens, but that does not translate into fish truck chasing. Some people are so freakin paranoid that everyone is out to steal their fish its hilarious.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 PM

personally i hate fishing a lake right after stocking.
too many little buggers stealing you stuff. lol
i like stocked ponds in the fall. less pressure & the little
fish are taken home by the crazies.

my 02 cents

orv.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:19 PM

Last year I read on a thread in this forum that Mt. Lorette was recently stocked. We had previously went in the fall, but there was not a fish to be found in the whole system of ponds. I went up the next day with my girlfriend for her first fish. We had a great day and there was a large cloud of fish swimming about. However there was a specific group of people (won't go into any more detail) that I am quite sure did not have fishing licenses. I saw them catch two at once on a pickerel rig and then throw the fish onto the paved pathway, pinning them down until they died. It was quite a show and while I did not understand anything they said, I didn't enjoy their behaviour.

I can easily see what ORV is getting at.

Tom