Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-04-2011, 05:52 PM
beehive

Default New here,Cold Lake ???

Just moved to the ironriver area ,the local paper said lake trout might be shut down in the collake ,what other lakes are good to fish there, any others with trout in them?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM

Yup, just in the local paper about possible changes to the laker fishing. Its about time. People that live here have been saying something has to be done all along.Wayyy to many fish being taken by the armatas of boats out there and the 50 trucks I see on the lake in the winter all in the same general area.If you fish rainbows, GOOD luck, if you flyfish, GOOD luck, NOTHING in the area except Little Bear and its all pellet fed mud trout.Siebert is good, closer to you in IR, Marie is amazing in the summer when the bite is on, Pierce in Sask is good, Touchwood, and the numerous others heading toward Lac La Biche are all good.Hope this helps
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned

I know this is a bit off topic but its really beyond me why people keep those fish anyways.. I mean yah they are a blast to catch but they are a very poor eating fish.. I geuss people keep them because they can..

Over the years of fishing them I think we may of kept the first 4 or 5 we caught after that we just lost interest in eating them.. It would be awesome to shut it down and just see what kind of size they would get to or even put a yearly retention of say one per person if they wanted. Now here is a place for a tag system if they wanted to apply it.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 PM

If you want to try some spectacular walleye and pike fishing nearby, you should drive just across the border to Medow lake provincial park. I have caught many walleye and a couple of trophy sized pike. There are also some less known lakes in the park that have produced some pretty big walleye as well.

There is also one lake there in the park that holds many lakers that I will give you a PM about.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
beehive

Whats a mud trout? collake sounds to busy for me.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:46 PM

pellet fed hatchery trout, live in a muddy or silty slew, fish take on the taste of the surroundings they live in.If your looking for native wild trout, not happenin around here, all hatchery and taste like dirt, nickname, mud trout. Fun to catch but taste like eating your boot after 3 hrs on the quad in the skeg