Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 04:01 PM

I understand petrified wood is the one exception to "fossils" that can be sold. It comes out beautiful if you have a rock polisher/tumbler. Gonna make some jewelry sets if I ever get time to sit down and create.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:22 PM

Default Out of the Blue finds

trolling south shore of Lower Buckhorn Lake north of Peterborough Ont. 50' offshore in about 9' water I pass over what i thought was a red granite boulder. It looks entirely out of place, so I turned around and slowly went back over it. Anchored the boat and had a closer look. Turns out its a 5 gallon gas can chained to a 9.9 Johnson, half filled and trying to float to the surface. Dove in, tied a rope, pulled it up, Took it to Bell's small engines in Bobcaygeon,, $64.00, runs like a champ.

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car.
After one hour, open the trunk and see who is happiest to see you!!!

If you won't stand behind our Troops,
Feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
I understand petrified wood is the one exception to "fossils" that can be sold. It comes out beautiful if you have a rock polisher/tumbler. Gonna make some jewelry sets if I ever get time to sit down and create.
I think this quote from the RTM link I posted earlier says you need a disposition permit to sell petrified wood.

"If you live in Alberta and legally surface collect a fossil, you may keep it. However, you may not sell, alter, or remove the specimen from the province without permission from the Government of Alberta.

To gain ownership of a fossil, you must be issued a Disposition Certificate for that specimen by the Government of Alberta. Applications for disposition can be obtained from the Resource Management Program at the Royal Tyrrell Museum.

Please note that only four types of fossils are eligible for disposition: ammonites, petrified wood, leaf impressions, and oysters. "
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-20-2019, 11:31 PM
Gone Hunting

I've found a lot of things over the years, old/old traps, long obsolete empty cartridges, turn of the century tools. But the strangest thing, in my opinion was a 1980s vintage customized Ford Van we found on the shore of a remote northern lake.

What made that strange was, (a) the nearest road of any description was nearly fifty miles away. (b) the van was completely surrounded by boulders up to Volkswagen sized. The entire shoreline was covered with such boulders for miles in both directions.
It would have been tough to get a D6 into that location, let alone a rubber tired vehicle.

We figured the only way it could have got there was to have floated in on a slab of ice, which rode up over the boulders and then melted leaving the van stranded.

If so if floated at least eighty miles to get there.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 PM
Gone Hunting

I also found Truffles growing wild north of Peace River.
My mushroom books say there are no Truffles in Canada.

Two independent mythological experts in Edmonton identified them as Truffles.

They were about the size and shape of an average potato. They were entirely underground. And they had a rind like a puff ball and coal black flesh.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-21-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Volcano rock actually floats because it's so porous. I was fishin in forestburg reservoir one day and heard something banging on the side of the boat and it was a volcano rock. Wish I could post a picture of it but I never have any luck posting pictures and the old girl gets sour from the procedure too.
Likely pumice. It would be one of the only igneous (volcanic) rocks that would float. Great for rubbing the callouses off your feet too!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:19 AM

A poached black bear carcass up the Powderface trail in '91. No paws or head.
We have a cabin on the upper arrow and when the water levels are down and the old townsite gets partially exposed we have found all the leftover "town stuff" pot belly stoves, brass bed frames, ice skates, axes, saws, hammers etc. Also found an abandoned car (late 70 Station wagon) on the property about 200 yards in the bush.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:13 AM

Found this several years ago. Real thick spruce. Only way it could have been in the spot was either carried in by foot or dropped by air.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 11:33 AM

seismic detonator maybe? not sure!
Old 02-21-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

They were about the size and shape of an average potato. They were entirely underground. And they had a rind like a puff ball and coal black flesh.

I’m not a mythological expert but that would be fantastic news and a welcome find! How did you find them?
Old 02-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLayden View Post
Found this several years ago. Real thick spruce. Only way it could have been in the spot was either carried in by foot or dropped by air.

Any ideas?

Maybe a weather balloon recorder. Sort of looks like maybe old surveyor's equipment too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-21-2019, 11:52 AM

Found this old rifle buried in a sandy shore lakeside, whats unusual is this is a lake we trekked too from a lake we flew in too 200km away from civilization. Cool find.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Truffles are like gold nuggets. They are where you find them and no one realized they were there until someone looked. There are black truffles being found in BC and Alberta could have the potential.

I don't want to encourage foragers to go and disturb the ground but truffles can be associated with beech, birch, hornbeam, oak, pine, hazelnut and poplar. Would need a good truffle dog or hog.

https://calgaryherald.com/life/food/...the-mainstream

Or what you found might be "Tuckahoe". Poria cocos or Wolfiporia extensa.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLayden View Post

Any ideas?

I/O (system 1 or 2) line tap box.
Seismic recording intstrument
Old 02-21-2019, 02:15 PM

This thread is turning out great. Lots of good reading.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:07 PM

Good to know! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I/O (system 1 or 2) line tap box.
Seismic recording intstrument
Old 02-21-2019, 04:36 PM

A 100 inch whitetail shed.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Found this old rifle buried in a sandy shore lakeside, whats unusual is this is a lake we trekked too from a lake we flew in too 200km away from civilization. Cool find.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Savage 99 , cool
Old 02-21-2019, 06:43 PM

Very cool find.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-21-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
A 100 inch whitetail shed.
Going to need pics of that, if not just PM me the coordinates of where you found it.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:01 AM

While house boating on the Shuswap, we found a plastic water line coming down the hill into the water and followed it up the hill to find a cave entrance near 4 mile creek. We had a service guy come out to fix the houseboat and when we told him about the cave entrance, we took him to see it. He quickly gets on the radio and gets in touch with the RCMP and within an hour there is a helicopter hovering the area. Another hour goes by and the RCMP show up in two zodiac boats to talk to us and take them to the location.

Got our pictures into the Vancouver Sun. We later found out it was a hideout for the Bushman of the Shuswap that was stealing and extorting from cabin owners.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:13 AM

When we moved into our Huntington hills house in the late 90’s. was cleaning up a pile of rocks in the back yard and found this mixed in with them. It is fossilized bone but not sure exactly what it is, thinking a partial vertebrae of something. Previous owners must’ve picked it up somewhere and didn’t know what they had

Last edited by Buckwheat; 02-22-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 AM

I've been finding automated camera's strapped to trees all over the bush, I've collected thirteen so far!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCL View Post
I've been finding automated camera's strapped to trees all over the bush, I've collected thirteen so far!
Bahaha. Yep they are everywhere.... all kidding aside, I need to figure out how to photoshop big deer or aliens onto guys memory cards. Then replace them.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:56 PM

My Great Uncle in SE Saskatchewan has found numerous arrow heads on his property as well as unmarked gravesites. Did some research and they would have been from (Catholic) settlers in the 1800s that buried the dead there
Old 02-22-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCL View Post
Thread winner....
Old 02-22-2019, 09:59 PM

My sister in-law goes and collect fossils from the lake when it gets low. They found a fossil of a shell they sent into the tyrell museum to get identified. It was identified as a rare fossil of a prehistoric turtle shell. I’ve seen a piece of it and it dosnt look like a turtle shell but the museum would not return it as it’s to rare to be found here. You can send fossils into the museum to get identified and they will return them but in this case it was no cause of the rarity of it
Old 02-23-2019, 02:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’m not a mythological expert but that would be fantastic news and a welcome find! How did you find them?
Purely by chance.

We were boating along the river, saw a slide I had not seen before so stopped to check it out.
Saw one truffle near the edge of the slide, thought it was a odd shaped puff ball so picked it up. It seemed too heavy to be a normal puff ball so I cut it open to see why.
Found the interior to be jet black, very firm and slightly moist.

I knew then it was not a puff ball but had no idea what it might be. Anyway, we looked around for more and soon found several, almost completely covered near by, also in the slide area.
I realized then that they were growing underground so I began to suspect they might be truffles.

We gathered several and took them home. I sent samples to universities and such, wrote hundreds of emails to everyone who knew anything about mushrooms.
Most had no more idea then I did what they were but two unassisted experts in Edmonton replied that they were Deer Truffles. Which are known to exist in the USA but not in Western Canada.

My research into Deer Truffles indicate that these are perhaps a species of Deer Truffle but not the same species as found in the USA.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-23-2019, 02:28 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Truffles are like gold nuggets. They are where you find them and no one realized they were there until someone looked. There are black truffles being found in BC and Alberta could have the potential.

I don't want to encourage foragers to go and disturb the ground but truffles can be associated with beech, birch, hornbeam, oak, pine, hazelnut and poplar. Would need a good truffle dog or hog.

https://calgaryherald.com/life/food/...the-mainstream

Or what you found might be "Tuckahoe". Poria cocos or Wolfiporia extensa.
I had heard that truffles and indeed a lot of mushrooms are often associated with a particular tree species.

The mushrooms I found were growing among Birch trees.

My research indicates that Poria cocos grow in association with Pine trees.

I saw no Pine trees anywhere close to where I found these mushrooms.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-23-2019, 02:32 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed View Post
My sister in-law goes and collect fossils from the lake when it gets low. They found a fossil of a shell they sent into the tyrell museum to get identified. It was identified as a rare fossil of a prehistoric turtle shell. I’ve seen a piece of it and it dosnt look like a turtle shell but the museum would not return it as it’s to rare to be found here. You can send fossils into the museum to get identified and they will return them but in this case it was no cause of the rarity of it
My sister found a petrified tooth.

A person at the Tyrell museum identified it as a horses tooth from a species that existed over 10,000 years ago.
I've held that tooth in my hand, it is huge. A good four times the size of a modern horses tooth.

George Bernard Shaw