Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2020, 03:38 PM

Default Outdoor surveillance camera!!

So I recently have been upgrading the house exterior and decided to do a full landscape job, i might need some cameras to watch for deliveries and supplys lying around. A friend had these on his house so I ordered a few and am super impressed. I have 3 cameras and anybody entering our property is recorded. Each camera was on amazon for like $50 a piece. Easy as pie to install . Way cheaper than security system and I know comes and goes from house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2020, 03:51 PM

What kind / model are they?
Old 04-27-2020, 03:52 PM

Default Yes there are cameras, and then there are CAMERAS!!

Being a big fan of Security Cameras, the Physical presence of a camera is often enough to make the potential thief think twice.

Then there are the habitual criminals, who just laugh, pull up their hoody, wear a ball cap, turn their coat inside out, and go about their business of stealing you blind.

If there is ONE THING you can do to deter a thief, it is building with a Metal Door Frame with a Metal Door. Then use a high grade lock and dead bolt.

Your average finger joint pine door frame is a joke, and the thieves know it.

No matter how good a lock, the door jamb splits apart after a few good hits, and they are in. You can put in reinforcing plates with #10 or bigger screws secured into the framing of the wall (At least 4 inches long screws and a 1 foot reinforcing plate for the door catch) but the metal door frame and heavy metal door, really stops them cold, and they move on.

For the really determined thief, there is nothing you can do. A chainsaw to a wall and they are in.

But yes, conspicuous cameras high up will be a good starting point.

Now the finesse of the camera system will depend on what you are really trying to achieve and what you are willing to spend. You can have your camera system message you of an Event, in real time, that allows you to observe what is going on, and respond accordingly.

But this is not what a $50 dollar camera can deliver.

Still, you have the right idea to at least do something for deterrence. Things will go from bad to much worse in the near future, and for alot of people, consequences do not mean anything any more.

Drewski
Old 04-27-2020, 04:19 PM

this what they look like and they have the alert to human sensor and motion and also audio both ways. I can sit any where i have cell service or wifi and have a conversation with whoever is at camera. Its costs like $12 every 3 months for cloud storage!

Old 04-27-2020, 04:22 PM

UH OH - "Made in China". Just kidding. Thanks will look into them as I need at least three more.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:47 PM

Well said Drewski. There seems to be a big demand lately for DIY camera systems, whether it be from trying to save money on monthly fees or avoiding being in a contract. Unfortunately, the customer attrition rate of these DIY companies is incredibly high, and for many reasons. You have posed some good points, the ease of wearing a mask or hiding the face is always in their head if they see a big looming camera, and for some people who commit break ins, they are even more comfortable seeing DIY cameras than nothing at all as "nothing at all" can very well be a monitored system that is hooked up with no visible signs or stickers, where as generally DIY cameras are an easy way of telling criminals how they are "secured" before they even enter.

Here's some more questions for OP. What are they temperature rated to? Are they encrypted? CBC did quite an in depth report on these things.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-P0rSnt2HSU

With the simple fact you can get monitored home security that includes flood, freeze, heat and smoke, as well as smart home features (automatic door locks, doorbell cameras, thermostats, garage door openers, smart sockets, lighting control) that are tied into the system (which you can't hack into, or need to watch your phone 24/7 to call police yourself if you see someone on your camera), in today's day and age for 30-50/m, it makes absolutely no sense to drop hundreds on a "system" filled with holes and issues. You have the right mindset in securing your home, but your most valuable investment and your family's safety are worth a lot more than $12 for every 3 months. Not everything should be about price.

It's like if you could save a few thousand on a vehicle that has faulty or sketchy seatbelts and airbags, yes it saves money but if that unfortunate situation ever hit, you want to be properly protected.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:54 PM

LOL - I live in the country. I want to monitor my house and shop for people coming and going. If someone needs to steal from me they are going to do it - a full blown security system is not going to help me when the response time is 30-45 minutes for the police if they decide to / are capable to get there right away. Change my mind.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT_420 View Post
Well said Drewski. There seems to be a big demand lately for DIY camera systems, whether it be from trying to save money on monthly fees or avoiding being in a contract. Unfortunately, the customer attrition rate of these DIY companies is incredibly high, and for many reasons. You have posed some good points, the ease of wearing a mask or hiding the face is always in their head if they see a big looming camera, and for some people who commit break ins, they are even more comfortable seeing DIY cameras than nothing at all as "nothing at all" can very well be a monitored system that is hooked up with no visible signs or stickers, where as generally DIY cameras are an easy way of telling criminals how they are "secured" before they even enter.

Here's some more questions for OP. What are they temperature rated to? Are they encrypted? CBC did quite an in depth report on these things.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-P0rSnt2HSU

With the simple fact you can get monitored home security that includes flood, freeze, heat and smoke, as well as smart home features (automatic door locks, doorbell cameras, thermostats, garage door openers, smart sockets, lighting control) that are tied into the system (which you can't hack into, or need to watch your phone 24/7 to call police yourself if you see someone on your camera), in today's day and age for 30-50/m, it makes absolutely no sense to drop hundreds on a "system" filled with holes and issues. You have the right mindset in securing your home, but your most valuable investment and your family's safety are worth a lot more than $12 for every 3 months. Not everything should be about price.

It's like if you could save a few thousand on a vehicle that has faulty or sketchy seatbelts and airbags, yes it saves money but if that unfortunate situation ever hit, you want to be properly protected.
Its very rare that any of our family are not home. I have 3 teenagers that are still living at home. I am retired and don't wander to far usually. We had my neibour test the cameras when I was out at farm The other night and my phone alerted me asap. Living very close to rcmp station as well and in spruce grove its more about who comes and goes than pure security. I just want to be able to have deliveries put in garage when they arrive as opposed to laying on front step or driveway.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
LOL - I live in the country. I want to monitor my house and shop for people coming and going. If someone needs to steal from me they are going to do it - a security system is not going to help me when the response time is 30-45 minutes for the police if they decide to / are capable to get there right away. Change my mind.
They will definitely "decide to" if there was a priority 1 dispatch received. Theres always an excuse for somebody not to be protected. If their in the city those same people say all their neighbors watch their home for them or "this is a safe neighbourhood". It's those people that normally get broken into.

Dont let me change your mind, take an hour drive down any country roads where you live and see how many of your neighbours have systems. Let them change your mind. Almost 50% of our customers now are in the same situation you are in with police response. Even things like a meth'd up group scoping your house to jump you with a firearm on your way inside. With a system, yep no worries, go type in your duress code, and wait for the emergency response team to show up.

But your right, a large number of people get these systems now for the ease of use, all the home automation features, being able to see everyone who lives there when they come and go (good for teenagers), protection against flood freeze smoke and fire, insurance savings for having it monitored, insurance deductible paid out by security company (some of them) if you had a claim . Being tied to the police for a response if your broken into is just a given.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:20 PM

I talk to most of my neighbours regularly and maybe 10% have a system. I think they are the door bell camera system. When it takes a responder 30-45 minutes just to get to my house without prioritizing to the response I think that we are SOL by the time a first reposter get here.

The OP posted about monitoring system and that's what I need.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:19 PM

My system, sends my phone a alert, open the app and look at the picture, can call anybody if your not home, or police, have the picture for proof. Bought the motion light/camera from costco.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
this what they look like and they have the alert to human sensor and motion and also audio both ways. I can sit any where i have cell service or wifi and have a conversation with whoever is at camera. Its costs like $12 every 3 months for cloud storage!

Are they direct wired or battery operated? Is there an SD card? What’s the brand name, or maybe if you have a link to the Amazon? Thanks!
Old 04-28-2020, 06:16 PM

I have the telus system on my house the alerts to the phone are nice but im very disappointed in the night clarity i had a little bast—d looking in my vehicle the other night and his face was a fuzzy.