Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 08:56 PM

Default Beware Cormorant

Ontario Minister Announces the Cormorant Hunt is On! | Fish'n Canada

Through the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, the Ontario government announced today that a cormorant hunting season has finally been approved and is scheduled to run from September 15th to December 31st. The Honourable Minister John Yakabuski made the announcement live on the fishncanada.com webcast with Ang and Pete at approximately 12:45 PM today.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:15 PM

I bet they are the polar opposite of ribeye of the sky 😋
Old 07-31-2020, 09:20 PM

Might have a fishy after taste
Old 07-31-2020, 09:47 PM

Default Beware cormorants

Boy, I wish we had a season here in Alberta. My .204 would be barkin’.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Boy, I wish we had a season here in Alberta. My .204 would be barkin’.
I think you have to use a shotgun where they are legal.
Cat
Old 08-01-2020, 09:45 AM

I would love to shoot some of the black buggers. They are very wary though.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:13 AM

Call it a cull. Who would want to hunt and have to eat those things. Might make edible dog food.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:22 PM

Default find

The nesting sights with the eggs and adults.In Lake Huron they used to boil the eggs and put them back on the nests so the adults would waste the summer trying to hatch duds.Shotgun all available adults.A gill net circling the rocky island would have been more practical.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:44 PM

Open Sept. 15 to Dec. 31? would it not make more sense to have it earlier in the year when they usually start to nest and breed? Late June or early July start?
Old 08-01-2020, 12:48 PM

Default Beware cormorants

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Open Sept. 15 to Dec. 31? would it not make more sense to have it earlier in the year when they usually start to nest and breed? Late June or early July start?
Common sense...what’s that?
Old 08-01-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I would love to shoot some of the black buggers. They are very wary though.
Are they protected here?

Grizz
Old 08-01-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Are they protected here?

Grizz
Legally yes,along with the Pelicans and Herons.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:50 PM

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the killing or harming of double-crested cormorants without prior authorization by the FWS. Depredation permits are provided to individuals, private organizations, and other federal and state agencies on a case-by-case basis for the lethal control of problem birds.

So far they are out numbering the Pelicans at CVR over the last 3 years. When they fly they are in gulps (or groups) 7-10. It is really not Pelican Island anymore but the big whites are still there and standing room only.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the killing or harming of double-crested cormorants without prior authorization by the FWS. Depredation permits are provided to individuals, private organizations, and other federal and state agencies on a case-by-case basis for the lethal control of problem birds.

So far they are out numbering the Pelicans at CVR over the last 3 years. When they fly they are in gulps (or groups) 7-10. It is really not Pelican Island anymore but the big whites are still there and standing room only.
As I have watched our lake morph from perch infested to a great trout fishery I have also been watching how the lakes avian fish predators have been reacting.

I tried to locate a good study on what size fish cormorants can eat. It appears they prefer smaller prey around 7 inch however can eat fish up to 12 inch. I’ve watched them coming around more and more. I wonder if they frequent midnapore more as they have tons of tiny perch. They seem to be getting more common however they seem to come and go during day.

Some smaller grebes seem to take just minnows. Western grebes can eat perch up to about 8 inch. We have some around year round during open water.

Common Mergansers seem to be chasing mostly minnows in the shallows. Reports online suggest they can eat fish up to 12 inches long. They are around year round during open water.

Great blue herons sit on the rocks and docks and stab at fish swimming by. I’ve seen them nail and beat and swallow 15 inch fat trout. I have also seen them eat perch of any size they can catch. They came late this year but fly in and out of the lake area during the day.

Loons are taking perch and trout. I’ve seen them pop up with perch in their mouths. I suspect they can eat 18 inch trout. We have had 3 or more here all year since ice out.

Osprey are hunting hard this year. Many trout have wounds on there bodies. Amazing what trout can survive. They look like they are dropping on 18 inch trout. Problem is if they grab a big trout that is fat...they can’t lift it and need to release it. There is often 3 circling around hunting.

Bald eagles are here in the spring just as the ice s breaking up. I think looking for dead fish. Then not really seen during the summer and a bit again in the Fall.

Pelicans have been coming around more and more looking around the edges of the lake and often swimming in a pair or three.

Used to see belted kingfishers...about 8 years ago. Haven’t seen them since the perch took over and the minnows all went away.

Interesting observation this year was the minnow population in the lake has exploded once again. I think without hundreds of thousands of perch swimming around the shallows...minnows have a chance to survive. Schools of fathead minnows and lake chub are certainly helping feed some of the avian fish predators and will also help perch, rainbow trout, brook trout and brown trout grow. Caught an 11 inch perch last week. Average perch size is now back over 8 inches from the low of 5 inches 4 years ago. Perch are much harder to catch yet I have still probably caught 3 buckets worth this Spring/Summer. Sounds like lots however by this time in the year, 4 years ago I would of caught 100 buckets worth.

Cheers

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 08-01-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:04 AM

Default flocks

Of several thousand cormorants cleaned out a lake I fished as a child of all the perch.Twelve inch and larger were all we kept...........personal best was 16"Nothing left.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:59 AM

If I come across someone shooting cormorants, I won't be phoning it in.
I would assume you'd be pretty safe.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:28 AM

Smile What ... no link ❓❗

Quote:

Ontario Minister Announces the Cormorant Hunt is On! | Fish'n Canada

Through the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, the Ontario government announced today that a cormorant hunting season has finally been approved and is scheduled to run from September 15th to December 31st. The Honourable Minister John Yakabuski made the announcement live on the fishncanada.com webcast with Ang and Pete at approximately 12:45 PM today.

Here you go 🤠👉 https://globalnews.ca/news/7239790/o...orant-hunting/

Selkirk
Old 08-02-2020, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the link to read.
So it's not just them eating the bait fish that is the big concern as most have thought. Them crapping out the pound of excrement a day they eat is playing a big role. Ok makes a lot more sense of habitat destruction.
The ones I could see from a distance at CVR were eating upwards of easily 4-5 inch fish. Try to get close and they flock off. More wary than a Loon
The bigger fish just have to eat more often.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link to read.
So it's not just them eating the bait fish that is the big concern as most have thought. Them crapping out the pound of excrement a day they eat is playing a big role. Ok makes a lot more sense of habitat destruction.
The ones I could see from a distance at CVR were eating upwards of easily 4-5 inch fish. Try to get close and they flock off. More wary than a Loon
The bigger fish just have to eat more often.
Similar thing about Canada Geese. It’s not so much they eat lawn and then poop everywhere on land...it’s the 0.5 - 2 lbs of poop they add to the water every day which increases algae etc.

That cormorant poop is serious stuff.

When I did biology stuff I was assisting on a study of birds on an ocean island. After walking around on the island I came back to the station. Clothes were covered in crap from birds flying around. Washed the clothes and it looked like a bad bleach tie tie job.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-02-2020, 03:10 PM

Literally.... Holy Crap Man... Did not even consider that crap fact about birds. Read about that of livestock being close to streams, rivers and edges of lakes. Always learning I guess.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:53 PM

Default Half baked plan

People don't want to hunt them just knock back the numbers.Body counts matter.