Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 04:34 PM

Default I don't understand

First off let me just say I've got nothing against the blm movement that's happening in the world right now. What I don't understand after the opening to game 1 of the Chicago vs Edmonton game is why, Matt Dumba, who is Canadian, is kneeling for the American national anthem. He made a very nice speech but he's not an American so why kneel for someone else's anthem? I'm sure I'll get some feedback about my lack of understanding but thats why I posted. Sorry if my question offends anyone.

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 08-01-2020, 04:56 PM

It’s sad to watch that kind of thing. I would like to see anthems taken out of pro sports. Be like tennis or golf. I’ve had enough of the protests that have been going on for months.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:14 PM

It seems that no matter what we listen to, or even just plain standing in one spot we can literally watch the decay of our world that we thought was great just a few short months/years ago....what has happened to everyone? Why did we arrive in this mess so quick...
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-01-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
It’s sad to watch that kind of thing. I would like to see anthems taken out of pro sports. Be like tennis or golf. I’ve had enough of the protests that have been going on for months.
I agree. I understand why they play the national anthem at the Olympics and world tournaments where teams are representing their countries. This doesn't apply to professional team sports where teams are playing for their salaries and the owners' profits.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
It seems that no matter what we listen to, or even just plain standing in one spot we can literally watch the decay of our world that we thought was great just a few short months/years ago....what has happened to everyone? Why did we arrive in this mess so quick...
Zip

Our society is going out with a whimper, not a bang.

Grizz
Old 08-01-2020, 05:49 PM

It’s way over done now. Shoved down our throats at every turn and every minute. Yayyyyyy.....
Old 08-01-2020, 05:53 PM

As far as today’s little ceremony went, why was it Subban , Dumba and Nurse? Why not Ethan Bear and Khaira??? Is this only a fight for one type of minority??? Sure seems like it. Makes me sick

Might as well put a likeness of George Floyd on all their helmets lol. Laughable....
Old 08-01-2020, 06:05 PM

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:08 PM

I don't mind national anthems for the Olympics; but don't think it's necessary for the NHL. The players are not all from one country so why should the Russians and Swedes etc playing for a Canadian or US team have to listen to a national anthem that is not theirs?
As for taking a knee.... keep national politics out of sports.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303 Epps View Post
I don't mind national anthems for the Olympics; but don't think it's necessary for the NHL. The players are not all from one country so why should the Russians and Swedes etc playing for a Canadian or US team have to listen to a national anthem that is not theirs?
Agreed....
Old 08-01-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I agree with this statement. Sports isn’t the place for political statements.

BW
Old 08-01-2020, 07:08 PM

With all the negative crap going on in 2020 its a shame that people cant watch a hockey game without being reminded of the BS in the world today.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:17 PM

I just look at them as more wannabe celebrities, who think they are "special", trying to inject "politically correct politics' into a venue that shouldn't be about politics. But, that is the world we are in now, you are not supposed to understand it, you peon, but, you are supposed to obey and humble yourself at the altar of the overpaid "god like heroes" of the sports and entertainment industries, who are darlings of the media circus pushing the policy.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
If they do this crap in every playoff game I will be turning it off. Enough already. I just want to see some gold old hockey but I think our days are numbered.
I’m sure PK will eat this up. He loves the camera
Old 08-01-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
With all the negative crap going on in 2020 its a shame that people cant watch a hockey game without being reminded of the BS in the world today.
Exactly
Old 08-01-2020, 10:22 PM

At least when Don Cherry was there he kept them honest! I sure hope the NHL doesn’t take up every bleeding hearts cause and exploit it during their telecasts.

If I wanted a lecture I’d go to church on Saturday.

BW
Old 08-01-2020, 11:01 PM

After Grapes got fired, I cancelled my satellite package. I only listen to the Oilers games on CHED. I’m tired of what has become of our society. Too many people looking for a free ride.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:37 PM

As a very borderline basketball fan, I will no longer be tuning in. I’ve watched the odd half game here and there and was happy for the Raptors winning last year. Now that I see the entire NBA is just a giants soapbox circus for political movements..... I’m out. I have lost all interest in the sport. Hockey is teetering on that balance board too. They need to knock this off and get back to entertainment, not politics
Old 08-01-2020, 11:55 PM

Because the NHL and everyone else feels like it’s necessary to jump on the current bandwagon...and if they don’t you can guarantee someone will jump down their throats and claim they are racists...any opinion today that doesn’t agree with the current agenda is labelled as racist...We are facing a staggering economic depression AND health crisis and the government can’t fix it..so what do they do?? They jam a new crisis down our throats that grabs ahold of our emotions and makes us turn against each other..to distract us from the real problems...to distract us from the fact that the wealthy are stealing everyone’s wealth right now and not only ours but future generations.. What a joke...Guess I’m a “doom and gloomer” or “conspiracy theorist”..sorry fellas had to let it out..
Old 08-02-2020, 05:21 AM

I hear ya Tyler,
I saw some of the Utah Jazz game yesterday,
It was BLM passing over to Enough, over to Respect us, then an ally-oop to Gay.
Actually Rudy Gay was the only one wearing his name on his jersey.

TBark
Old 08-02-2020, 06:08 AM

Well we better get used to it because at every turn from here in there will be one of the new to us BUZZ words, LGBTQ2, BLM, Systemic Racism, Indigenous rights, we are all in this together, the new norm, etc. etc. the bleeding heart liberals of the world are going to shove this down our throats until we choke it down, you know the main stream media is liberal owned and has it's own agenda so hang onto your hats folks it's just getting started, and i'm sick of it already.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:08 AM

National Anthem isn't the problem.
Years from now people will probable be booing the Anthem.
I quit watching hockey when they fired Don Cherry.
What really annoys me is how rich these athletes are. They couldn't be what they are in most other places in the world but yet they bite the hand that feeds them.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

All lives matter...equality for all....thank god it's not -40 out and blowing like a bugger....cabin fever and bs all rolled into the same long dark days would drive me nuts.....going fishing now.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-02-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
National Anthem isn't the problem.
Years from now people will probable be booing the Anthem.
I quit watching hockey when they fired Don Cherry.
What really annoys me is how rich these athletes are. They couldn't be what they are in most other places in the world but yet they bite the hand that feeds them.
I see posts like yours quite frequently across social media, whether it is the Eskimos changing their name or a media member getting toasted. Were you a hockey fan or a Don Cherry fan? It is the question most would ask.

BTW, I love Don Cherry and think it wrong that a person who has done as much for the game be roasted the way he was. Ron Maclean's favorite person in the Bible must be Judas Iscariot the way he threw Don under the bus. I just mute the tv when he comes on.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:29 AM

You can crucify me but I don’t support this bs blm. They are as rasist as KKK or perhaps even worse. They are totally disrespectful to the rest and to things like national patriotism, honour, military etc. They are anti-Semitic.
If you disrespect the national anthem, national flag- you disrespect the fallen soldiers who were laid to rest and who’s coffins were covered by the flag.
But that’s just me.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:49 AM

Well, the recent protests and entire movement this year was sparked from an extra judicial killing of a black man in Minnesota. Matt Dumba, while Canadian, lives and works in Minnesota while playing for the Wild, and is a person of colour. There are a lot of Americans who would have been watching the game given it was Oilers vs Blackhawks and was one of the first NHL playoff games, so I get why it was done to show solidarity. Pretty virtue signal-y but they are trying hard to make hockey more appealing to people of colour, so small things like this can help make hockey/NHL appear more inclusive.

I realize it is difficult for us here as a bunch of good folks from Canada to really recognize how ****ed the US is, especially if you are a minority down there, but gotta remember there are tons of raging racists down south of the border. Anything to try to combat that is positive in my mind, IMO

Anyway, call me a sheep or whatever but I truly don’t see what the big deal is.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Well, the recent protests and entire movement this year was sparked from an extra judicial killing of a black man in Minnesota. Matt Dumba, while Canadian, lives and works in Minnesota while playing for the Wild, and is a person of colour. There are a lot of Americans who would have been watching the game given it was Oilers vs Blackhawks and was one of the first NHL playoff games, so I get why it was done to show solidarity. Pretty virtue signal-y but they are trying hard to make hockey more appealing to people of colour, so small things like this can help make hockey/NHL appear more inclusive.

I realize it is difficult for us here as a bunch of good folks from Canada to really recognize how ****ed the US is, especially if you are a minority down there, but gotta remember there are tons of raging racists down south of the border. Anything to try to combat that is positive in my mind, IMO

Anyway, call me a sheep or whatever but I truly don’t see what the big deal is.
I think most would agree with you. Not all, but most. I certainly do.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:31 PM

After watching it yesterday, I had a good laugh, I knew it was going to make heads explode on AO.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I see posts like yours quite frequently across social media, whether it is the Eskimos changing their name or a media member getting toasted. Were you a hockey fan or a Don Cherry fan? It is the question most would ask.

BTW, I love Don Cherry and think it wrong that a person who has done as much for the game be roasted the way he was. Ron Maclean's favorite person in the Bible must be Judas Iscariot the way he threw Don under the bus. I just mute the tv when he comes on.
Like most kids I played hockey.
Back in the cold war hockey was the best against the Soviets.
Hockey like a lot of things just doesn't seem to be what it used to be.
Honestly coaches corner for me was the best part of the game.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 AM

All that dumb ass cop had to do was arrest that dude and book him. But nope, let’s suffocate him, and turn the world on it’s friggen ear. Way to go! Idiot......

Folks are acting like theres a kkk neo nazi on every corner throwing out their racist agenda. Everybody wants progression if you can't see how much progression the states have made since the Civil Rights Movement then you're looking for a state of Utopia which is not going to happen there's always going to be evil....