Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 AM

Default Buzz bombs

Well I have read on here that these are amazing never fail devices for the bow river.....since I fail often I bought one but threw out the package. How do you tie on. The website isnt very clear.

Also please comment on buzz bombs in general for the bow...love/hate....colors....general thoughts?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned

Feed the line through the hole arrow down then slide on the rubber bumper and tie on the hook!

Try the pink/white and blue/white.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 AM

They have a hook arrow on them, so you slide the line through that way, then rubber stopper, then treble hook. If you are tying it onto line, it only works on mono or flouro. I usually tie a 18" line to a barrell swivel, then to the hook. It spins a lot.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

I usualy use a short length of single strand wire leader material. I put the hook on one end, run it through and put a barrel swivel on the other end. This allows me to change hooks quickly and keeps pike from cutting the line with their teeth You must be carefull to have small, neat twists where you attatch the hook and swivel though or else the buzz bomb can catch on the twists and twist your line rather than spinning freely on the wire.

I use them for river walleye, they are heavy and can be verticaly jigged in places that the current makes it very difficult to jig lighter lures. This makes them ideal for some of the snag filled holes that the walleye like to hang out in. Pretty much any color seems to work for me.

Last edited by Cal; 03-25-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 AM

bow has lots of snags and that's a heavy lure so be prepared to lose some
Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
bow has lots of snags and that's a heavy lure so be prepared to lose some
Yeah, You will need to be in pretty heavy and deep water. Not the best choice for this time of year.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:08 AM

For river casting they are deadly, swap the trebel with a single hook and you will lose WAY less lures if casting into rivers or streams.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 AM

Do you drag / bump them along the bottom, or is a fast retrieve better? I have 3 of them in my tackle box, but I don't know if I've ever used them
Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 PM

normally when i use buzz bombs i buy the smallest one 2" i think and i tread the line through the first rubber stopper then through the buzz bomb and then the side with the arrow with another rubber stopper then to the treble hook. if the current is slow i tend to use a slightly fast retreive to avoid the lure sinking and snagging, if the current is fast then i use a slower retrieve and jig and reel a few feet and repeat. sometimes i would even down size the treble hook size to one smaller than the one in the package.good luck.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
Do you drag / bump them along the bottom, or is a fast retrieve better? I have 3 of them in my tackle box, but I don't know if I've ever used them
Never used them myself, yet but I found this while researching them. Hope it helps.

http://www.tyeetackle.com/buzzbomb_tips.html
Old 03-25-2010, 04:12 PM

What type of fish have you guys caught on Buzz Bombs? I tried for lakers. Do you usually tip it for best effect?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:43 PM

hey fun fishing
most of this thread is related to fishing the bow with buzz bombs and bait is very limited on the bow. (if bait is what you mant by tipping)
just making sure.

but i have found adding bait when fishing for lake trout is effective
Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM

I can use bait down here in the Bow, maybe I will pick up a couple when the season starts and see how the Walleye and Pike like them. Ive used the smallest BB at a couple of trout ponds, as well as Beavais in the flourescent orange and done really well on the rainbows.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 PM

for myself i have only caught 2 to 3 pound bows on the buzz bombs.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
hey fun fishing
most of this thread is related to fishing the bow with buzz bombs and bait is very limited on the bow. (if bait is what you mant by tipping)
just making sure.

but i have found adding bait when fishing for lake trout is effective
Sorry for confusing you. I mean wherever bait is allowed.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I can use bait down here in the Bow, maybe I will pick up a couple when the season starts and see how the Walleye and Pike like them. Ive used the smallest BB at a couple of trout ponds, as well as Beavais in the flourescent orange and done really well on the rainbows.

Is 2" the smallest one? Not using BB that much. Sounds good to use tho.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:14 AM

Default don't use the treble

I don't know how many of you have seen the episode I shot on the Red Deer river, But for those that haven't seen that episode we were fishing The Red Deer River below Dickson drifting towards Innisfail. Well during a shore break we had a nice brown rising on the opposite bank from our shore lunch spot that was impossible to get to with our fly rods. So I tied on Buzz bomb and instead of the treble put on a bead head prince nymph. I cast it just upstream and past the rising brown and as i started working the buzz bomb it slipped right in front of the rising broan and wam fish on. Turned out to be the biggest and most colorful brown of the trip.

Alex Kreis
Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM

Has anyone used buzz bombs for ice fishing?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

Jigging Buzzbombs and Ziggers is amazing on Lakers as well as casting in lakes and rivers. Pretty versatile lures when used correctly.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessePat View Post
Has anyone used buzz bombs for ice fishing?
Yes for lakers and rainbows tipped with a smelt or worm (check regs for bait bans)
Old 03-26-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
They have a hook arrow on them, so you slide the line through that way, then rubber stopper, then treble hook. If you are tying it onto line, it only works on mono or flouro. I usually tie a 18" line to a barrell swivel, then to the hook. It spins a lot.
Very good point. Plus the buzz bomb is designed to slide up the line and flutter back to the hook like a wounded bait fish so if you have a swivel up to 24" up the line, it won't slide too far up the line. If it slid 5 feet up the line for example and you have a fish hitting it on the way back down to the hook, which is the case most times, you're not gonna hook him as you don't have as much control over the lure itself at that length. I usually tie a small bead above the lure too just to protect the knot at the swivel as it's bouncing back and forth between the hook and the swivel. Thus the rubber ring at the bottom. (not as important in heavy current or when trolling it) And often you will see chips in the paint where fish have hit it on the "slide" back down but you wouldn't have felt the bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
I don't know how many of you have seen the episode I shot on the Red Deer river, But for those that haven't seen that episode we were fishing The Red Deer River below Dickson drifting towards Innisfail. Well during a shore break we had a nice brown rising on the opposite bank from our shore lunch spot that was impossible to get to with our fly rods. So I tied on Buzz bomb and instead of the treble put on a bead head prince nymph. I cast it just upstream and past the rising brown and as i started working the buzz bomb it slipped right in front of the rising broan and wam fish on. Turned out to be the biggest and most colorful brown of the trip.

Alex Kreis
So true. Other than fishing it as is for Coho on the coast where they just react and grab it and run with it, it seems to act more as an attractor. Remember, they can't actually hook on to the lure itself so an appealing offering at the end on the hook will produce much more success.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Yes for lakers and rainbows tipped with a smelt or worm (check regs for bait bans)
Where did you get the new avatar picture?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 PM

years ago when i lived in calgary i used to just slay the browns/brookies out at seebe with the 2" green pearl one. it's all catch and release now but what a hoot catching browns up to 11lbs.
cast it out, jerk-reel-jerk-reel-jerk-jerk-reel or whatever combo you so feel, they are a lot of fun and you can fish a huge area from one spot as they cast like a home run ball every time.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 PM

Wowsas well tried the pink pearl 2" buzz bomb with a single red hook (instead of the treble) today at noon hour down at price's island.....and wham what I thought was a snag at first turned out to be a strong ass +/- 17 inch rainbow......... Im sold on the BB's lol. Caught in slow deep water.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriad View Post
Wowsas well tried the pink pearl 2" buzz bomb with a single red hook (instead of the treble) today at noon hour down at price's island.....and wham what I thought was a snag at first turned out to be a strong ass +/- 17 inch rainbow......... Im sold on the BB's lol. Caught in slow deep water.
Nice! That's the way to spend your lunch break

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.