Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-01-2011, 04:03 PM

Default RCBS Chargemaster and Lyman 1200 DPS

Anyone have these? Has anyone tried both and made a decision based on those trials. It sounds like the RCBS is faster. Are they fairly user friendly?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:15 PM

Default rcbs versus lyman dps3

have had both set the rcbs back lyman was is more accurate in my testing fast is fine accuracy is final
Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Default rcbs versus lyman dps3

have had both sent the rcbs back lyman was is more accurate in my testing fast is fine accuracy is final
Old 02-01-2011, 05:22 PM

I haven't had the opportunity to compare both, but I have the RCBS Chargemaster and it works great. Some have mentioned sticking 1/2 an inch of a McDonald's straw on the spout aids in dispensing more smoothly, but I haven't had a problem. Even when the powder hangs up a little in the tube, the machine does a good job of incremental turns until the right weight is measured. I've used it with Unique and Varget so far, and I've noticed Unique dispenses smoother than the Varget.

The Chargemaster has all kinds of bells and whistles (remembering loads, etc) but I find I only use one feature: Auto dispense. You enter your weight you wish to dispense, then you hit dispense, and every time you empty, then place the empty pan back on the scale, it dispenses your next charge automatically, which results in completely hands-free operation; let the machine dispense while you're doing something else.

I'm sure both machines are fine, but I've heard better things about the Chargemaster in general, and RCBS's warranty is top-notch, so I went with the RCBS unit. If this is also your preference, then let me recommend a place to get it:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...prodID=rc98923

They will ship to Canada, but you will need to phone in your Order, as their online form is not set up well to take Canadian orders. Not a big hassle to save $200 or so off the retail price you'll find in any shop here in Canada.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 PM

I have the chargemaster and I have found it very user friendly; I wish I had got one sooner.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 PM

I have the Lyman product... I think it works great, it has the same auto chage functionality as RCBS. And I think 1200 DPS is cheaper...

One key in success is the use of plastic reducer with certain type of powders... It slows down the dispensing, but accuracy increases considerably...
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 PM

Last edited by kostianych; 02-01-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: double post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 PM

the RCBS can be customized easily for RPMs, grains and other parameters...it`s fully reprogrammable
Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Banned

I had purchased the Lyman and brought it home and set it up. Wasn't satisfied with dispensing consistency. So, I brought it back the same day and upgraded to the Chargemaster. I've been very impressed with this unit. Strange about the Lyman because I have other products of theirs such as the Power Trimmer and am very happy with that. Lyman makes good products, perhaps the 1200 DPS that I got was defective. Nevertheless, the Chargemaster has worked flawlessly for the 2 years that I've had it.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:24 PM

I have the lyman 1200 and for the longest time I always double weighed all my loads with the RCBS ballance beem scale I just needed to satisfy myself that it was indeed acurate enough to trust it will tell you when calibration is out and its dead on till the warning tells you its a great unit wish I bought one sooner
Old 02-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Thumbs up RCBS Chargemaster

RCBS Hands down!
I bought mine from Natchez in the States, with shipping & customs it arrived to my residence for $320
Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 PM

Has anyone tried any Pact products, they have a scale/dispenser combo on for $229, the scale is the same as the older rcbs powder pro scales which is actually made by Pact.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 PM

I have the RCBS unit and I love it. Set it to auto dispense and weigh every 10 rounds or so just to be sure. DO unplug the unit every time you are done using it, if not, it will mess up the computer and not dispense proper amounts the next time you use the machine.
Also, buy one of the powder pans with the built in funnel, about 5 bucks, saves a bunch of messing around and will make your life way easier.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 PM

Thanks for all the insight. Much appreciated.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Another vote for the RCBS Chargemaster.
I have had it for 3 years now, and wonder why I didnt have one sooner. You will not regret it

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 PM

I also have the chargemaster and love it but 2 questions.

With extruded powders I find sometimes it goes over by .1 or .2 grains - like 1 kernel of extra powder falls in - does the straw thing help this?

Also I read about a funnel powder pan? I currently use the pan and dump it through a funnel into the brass - where can one find a pan with funnel built in?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 PM

get 2 of those funnel pans.
While filling one case, the machine dispenses into the other pan..
Old 02-03-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Also I read about a funnel powder pan? I currently use the pan and dump it through a funnel into the brass - where can one find a pan with funnel built in?
Here is the RCBS funnel pan. You can buy it pretty much at any RCBS retailer.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner