Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Default Dead walleye at Pine Coullee Reservoir

Yesterday (Sunday) afternoon my wife and I were at PCR doing some canoeing. As we were heading north on the lake, nearing the township road 150 causeway we saw three or four bald eagles, some hawks and numerous seagulls on the west shoreline. I was curious as to what was attracting them so we went in for a closer look. We saw an alarming ammount of walleye scattered along the shoreline in various stages of decomp. They are not easy to see at first as they are on the muddy shoreline between the waterline and the yellow grass (which I assume is the normal lake level). I didn't check the east shoreline. Not sure how many fish we saw but I am positive there are more than 100. All appear to be walleye. Any ideas as to what would have caused this to happen? I got home late last night and spent the day commuting to work out of province so I have not notified Resources yet.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 PM

probably winterkilled
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 PM

That lake could use with half the Walters to die. Maybe they won't starve and grow then.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM

Starvation? There were a few times during the winter when the ice were open, and the reservoir has a couple of deep spots.

Did you happen to see any pike or burbot carcasses?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Email SRD and ask them to get the biologist to follow up with you and let you know what he/she thinks then let us know. If its ALL walleye and no other species thats bad news.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 PM

I'll contact SRD tomorrow. All the fish appeared to walleye but I can't be certain of that.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM

I doubt that it winter killed. As somebody else stated, there were large parts of the lake open for a lot of the winter and it is quite deep. In fact, it rarely ever freezes over completely under the bridge.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM

Complete newb question, but what would it mean if it was all walleyes?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
Yesterday (Sunday) afternoon my wife and I were at PCR doing some canoeing. As we were heading north on the lake, nearing the township road 150 causeway we saw three or four bald eagles, some hawks and numerous seagulls on the west shoreline. I was curious as to what was attracting them so we went in for a closer look. We saw an alarming ammount of walleye scattered along the shoreline in various stages of decomp. They are not easy to see at first as they are on the muddy shoreline between the waterline and the yellow grass (which I assume is the normal lake level). I didn't check the east shoreline. Not sure how many fish we saw but I am positive there are more than 100. All appear to be walleye. Any ideas as to what would have caused this to happen? I got home late last night and spent the day commuting to work out of province so I have not notified Resources yet.
Catch and release is alive and well at pcr.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM
hunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Catch and release is alive and well at pcr.
yup!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I'll contact SRD tomorrow. All the fish appeared to walleye but I can't be certain of that.

steve. did you in fact contact terry regarding this? anyone make a call or shoot an email? thanks.

Dace
Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_rice_man View Post
Complete newb question, but what would it mean if it was all walleyes?
That the problem was specific to Walleye and not the body of water in general ie: winterkill.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM

Gotcha. Anyone follow up with this? Anyone aware if this has happened in the past?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 PM

I contacted the SRD office in High River. The lady I spoke to informed me that I had called the wrong office but she took the details and said she would forward it. She said if there were any questions they would get back to me. I am at a job site in southern Sask. and haven't heard anything. I likely won't be able to follow up again until Monday.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I contacted the SRD office in High River. The lady I spoke to informed me that I had called the wrong office but she took the details and said she would forward it. She said if there were any questions they would get back to me. I am at a job site in southern Sask. and haven't heard anything. I likely won't be able to follow up again until Monday.

sorry read this too late

the office to contact is Blairmore SRD, PCR falls under the control of Bio Matt Coombs.

Terry Clayton looks after the territory east of Highway 2

Thanks for reporting what you discovered.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:22 PM

i've been in contact with Matthew Coombs regarding this matter. rather than risking putting words in his mouth, i thought best to quote his reply.

with his permission, his reply to my inquiry on the report of dead fish observed on the far nw corner of the reservoir shoreline was as follows.

"Yes, we are aware. A F&W Officer out of Claresholm and a biologist with Alberta Environment have been out there and taken pictures of the dead fish and walked south from the causeway to count more fish. Based on these surveys, it appears the dead fish are concentrated close to the causeway and no fish were counted more than a few hundred meters from it. We may take a boat out to survey more of the shoreline. However, at this point the fish are decomposed enough it would be difficult to determine the cause of death. There are surveys planned for this summer, and we will be able to reassess the fishery at that time."

Thank you for your concern.
Matt

Dace
Old 04-20-2012, 05:09 PM

awesome, thanks for the info Dace

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 PM

Thanks Dace for the work. Please keep us posted on any further development regarding the op topic.