Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Banned

Default What would you pay for this boat?

A few months back I got a line on a guy selling a 2005 Lund Rebel 1650 SS with a 50hp Johnson of the same vintage. The owner claims that it has seen very little use and after looking at it I believe that he is telling the truth, the boat is in excelent condition. The initial price he rattled off was "ohh about 5 or 6 grand" now I'm getting the vibe that he's going to want a little more, or at least on the high side of his initial quote. I'm just wondering what you guys would suggest as the most I should pay for this boat? I have $6500 in my gun safe so I'm thinking about trying for less and calling that my final offer but I can deffinatly afford to pay more if it should be neccessary and if the boat is worth it. This boat is higher end than what I was shopping for so I dont have a solid grasp of what I should be paying for this kind of a boat. Thanks for any help offered.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:09 PM

He said 5 or 6 grand - offer him 5. I'd say that's a pretty good deal. Search some lund rebels on the net. I see 16 ft ones a lot older than 2005 for going for more than that.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Schnizz View Post
He said 5 or 6 grand - offer him 5. I'd say that's a pretty good deal. Search some lund rebels on the net. I see 16 ft ones a lot older than 2005 for going for more than that.
I agree that sounds like a heck of a deal..............2005 is not really vintage
Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
A few months back I got a line on a guy selling a 2005 Lund Rebel 1650 SS with a 50hp Johnson of the same vintage. The owner claims that it has seen very little use and after looking at it I believe that he is telling the truth, the boat is in excelent condition. The initial price he rattled off was "ohh about 5 or 6 grand" now I'm getting the vibe that he's going to want a little more, or at least on the high side of his initial quote. I'm just wondering what you guys would suggest as the most I should pay for this boat? I have $6500 in my gun safe so I'm thinking about trying for less and calling that my final offer but I can deffinatly afford to pay more if it should be neccessary and if the boat is worth it. This boat is higher end than what I was shopping for so I dont have a solid grasp of what I should be paying for this kind of a boat. Thanks for any help offered.
So you like what you saw hey? Ok the price is 8k now

JK hope the owner is not a member here. Good Luck.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujo View Post

Haha I was thinking about the same thing. Hopefully he's not on this site, or the price might all of a sudden reach your 6500 limit
Old 04-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Caught with your pants down, ha ha
Old 04-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

Lol good point, I'd be pretty surprized if he was a member here but it would sure suck to be surprized by that. Well anyways since I've foolisly made this post already is $6500 still a good deal? Obviously I'm going to try ad get it as cheap as I can but at what price does this boat stop being a good deal?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well I'd say 16 or 17 grand is a pretty fair deal, so at $9000 I figure your getting a heck of a deal!

THere, saved you the trouble lol.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Lol good point, I'd be pretty surprized if he was a member here but it would sure suck to be surprized by that. Well anyways since I've foolisly made this post already is $6500 still a good deal? Obviously I'm going to try ad get it as cheap as I can but at what price does this boat stop being a good deal?
7-8 thousand all day,
Old 04-21-2012, 11:19 AM

Default pay?

Look at the boats for sale today anf see the comparison. I think it is a scam because I have run into 3 of them lately not on here but kijiji and craigslist. When the price is too good to be true it usually is. Piker
Old 04-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
Look at the boats for sale today anf see the comparison. I think it is a scam because I have run into 3 of them lately not on here but kijiji and craigslist. When the price is too good to be true it usually is. Piker
I ocaisionaly stand pumpjacks with the owner, he works for a different company but we end up working on the same lease every couple weeks, the boat is not listed anywhere. I was given directions so that I could have a look at the boat before he cleaned it up which I did, pretty sure he's on the level.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:00 PM

You haven't said what if any options are on this boat. Is it just a straight 16 footer with a tiller motor, no windhield, no forward controls or what.

Makes a big difference in the price. If it is a basic 3 seater with a tiller motor and a live well and it is in real good shape like you say then 6K seems like a decent price to me. If it has forward controls, windhield and stuff then 6K becomes a heck of a deal.

IMHO
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 PM

He will have no problem selling this for $6k whatsoever all day long if it has been cared for. Dont low ball him, be fair. Tell him he had said between $5-6K, what would be fair as you are prepared to make the deal today! I would have no quams paying $6500 if is as you say. There is a 1990 LUND listed on here for $7k

X2 what Troller said
Old 04-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
You haven't said what if any options are on this boat. Is it just a straight 16 footer with a tiller motor, no windhield, no forward controls or what.

Makes a big difference in the price. If it is a basic 3 seater with a tiller motor and a live well and it is in real good shape like you say then 6K seems like a decent price to me. If it has forward controls, windhield and stuff then 6K becomes a heck of a deal.

IMHO
Just told him I'd take it once we can run it a bit if everything checks out, he's hoping for next weekend. I'll take my boss who seems to know more about boats than I do but is there anything a guy should look at carefully? I looked at the prop and I'm pretty sure its stock with almost no wear at all, any other things I should be checking?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:03 PM

you didn't say if the motor was a 2 or 4 stroke. A four stroker will go a good 1500 hours before any real work need done. On the other hand a 2 strroke is a lot less money to repair and it to will go on and on and on. Just uses more gas and I assume this is an oil inject not a oil mix if it is a 2 stroke.

Other than that little things like are there bearing buddies on the trailer and are bearings seeming tight, axel seem OK If no bearing buddies then you should repack the bearings and put in the buddies at the same time. If the tires have weird wear like inside treads or somethnig like that then you know you need the axel aligned. Not a big expense but you have to haul to Standens or someone like that.

If it has little use like the guy says your worst case should be oil change both engine and leg, maybe some new plugs and possible a new battery. Bearing repack you know normal maintenance stuff.

Sounds like a good deal.

HAVE FUN
Old 04-21-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post

IMHO
The OP said it is an "SS", so it is a side steer. Livewell was standard on the 1650 ss, windshield and 3rd seat was optional, 60 Hp was the max on those so it is fairly well equipped. What he didn't mention was if it had any electronics, bow mount, topset, travel cover, batteries, trailer rock guard etc. all of which would be worth a fair bit...If it comes with an Easy Loader trailer, all the better.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Man I have a 1995 Crestliner 16ft in pretty good shape and I wouldn't take any less than $6k seems like a pretty sweet deal.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:54 PM

I paid 10 last summer for a rebel 1650 ss with a 4 stroke 50 merc and was thrilled at that price. It came with alot of extras, but i'd say 6 is one hell of a good deal, jump on it!