Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Default NSR, how low is too low?

Is fishing the river in town really worth it right now? Is there any hope the levels will go back up?

I wanna go slay some more walleye at one of my fav holes but the waters so shallow...

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 AM

its always worth it obvio0usly it would depend onn depth of such said hole but thers always a couple hanging around
Old 09-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Find new holes! The NSR is great for walleye right now you just have to find dropoffs and structure.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 AM

Its kind of hard to fish my hole when normally the water is 5-6 ft deep where I'm casting, and now its only 2 ft deep.

Unless I want to take up fly fishing for goldeye [i've seen many risers around town now that the waters gotten a little lower] I think i'm going to have to stick to some of my fav lakes

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Banned

personally i love the river being this low. you can see structures that you couldn't see before and more importantly you can see why you kept getting snagged in certain spots. who knew that a section of chainlink fence was submerged upright in that part of my honey hole? or how about that tractor tire? there are still lots of deeper sections to fish and will get deeper when the river rises. look for some new nice spots now.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Awesome for jet boating right now !!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Low water concentrates fish into fewer pools, go find a new pool, best time of year IMO.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
Low water concentrates fish into fewer pools, go find a new pool, best time of year IMO.
yep, fish are stacked up one on top of the other in prime fish holding holes.... not like when the water is high and the fish are widely dispersed...
Old 09-09-2012, 03:05 PM

My buddies and i are only catching pike right now and no walleye, pike are only in the 12-35 inch range.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 PM

Caught a couple of small Wally's Fri morning at one of the well known locations. One was caught on someone elses broken off Pikeral rig. Cant believe it was still alive. Had to have been there all night cause i got thee early morn. No one around. Guess it counts as one eh?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Banned

nope no point in fishing.....all the fish have left town. haha of course man you can still fish man!! Dunno what "best guide" is talking about there is tons of walleye around town still. My advice is pretty much the same, find a new spot!!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
Is fishing the river in town really worth it right now? Is there any hope the levels will go back up?

I wanna go slay some more walleye at one of my fav holes but the waters so shallow...
It's funny because for the longest time everybody was wanting the water levels to drop...now we want them to come back up?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 AM

This is my Favorite time of year to slam big walleye in the NSR.
The colder it gets the less people at the river.
Pack your long undies and hit the water.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapStaff View Post
This is my Favorite time of year to slam big walleye in the NSR.
The colder it gets the less people at the river.
Pack your long undies and hit the water.
yup, the momma bears are coming out!!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
It's funny because for the longest time everybody was wanting the water levels to drop...now we want them to come back up?
I was hoping for a 'happy medium' .. Its alright though I was only complaining about 1 hole. I know very well there are still great places to fish, and believe me I will be taking full advantage of them stacking up.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Monger View Post
nope no point in fishing.....all the fish have left town. haha of course man you can still fish man!! Dunno what "best guide" is talking about there is tons of walleye around town still. My advice is pretty much the same, find a new spot!!
Don't know what your talking about there are tons of fish in the n.s.r all i was saying was we have been catching all pike as of late and no walleye N.s.r munger
Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Don't know what your talking about there are tons of fish in the n.s.r all i was saying was we have been catching all pike as of late and no walleye N.s.r munger
Change up your strategy and presentations and you should be able to find some big eyes that are strapping on the feed bags.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Change up your strategy and presentations and you should be able to find some big eyes that are strapping on the feed bags.
ok no offence and not playin favorites but bgsh knows how to catch walleye i think all he was trying to say is that the pike have been biting as of late in the spots hes visited. he knows how to catch walleye its prob the easiest fish in the nsr to catch
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
ok no offence and not playin favorites but bgsh knows how to catch walleye i think all he was trying to say is that the pike have been biting as of late in the spots hes visited. he knows how to catch walleye its prob the easiest fish in the nsr to catch
Lots of guys get stuck doing the same things over and over again.

I was suggesting he switch things up and see if he can get back into the eyes.

If he isn't getting eyes and others are saying they are then something needs to be changed up.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
I agree totaly. I know myself and a few others that wait all year for the water to drop as low as it is. All we need is a few cold nights to send the walleye into a feeding frenzy.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeeHaw View Post
I agree totaly. I know myself and a few others that wait all year for the water to drop as low as it is. All we need is a few cold nights to send the walleye into a feeding frenzy.
yah man!! FALL EYES ROCK!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post

Right now its at 3m, last year near the end of sept. it dropped to almost 2.5m, so its likely going to get even lower.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 AM

River can drop 2foot in a week this time of year it's just starting to drop long way to go till lowest level end of Oct. Go buy a BACKGROUND MAPBOOK put on your shoes and do some exploring any sharp bend or large point will have holes and eddies that'll hold walleye. IF YOU HAVEN'T WALKED A COUPLE OF K TO A SPOT ON RIVER YOUR NOT A RIVER FISHERMAN!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 AM

I was down at the place we regularly fish the river at and the water is lower than its been but no means is the water low . This is High for this time of year . I bet its nearly 4 feet higher than last year at this time .
Old 09-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegrant View Post
River can drop 2foot in a week this time of year it's just starting to drop long way to go till lowest level end of Oct. Go buy a BACKGROUND MAPBOOK put on your shoes and do some exploring any sharp bend or large point will have holes and eddies that'll hold walleye. IF YOU HAVEN'T WALKED A COUPLE OF K TO A SPOT ON RIVER YOUR NOT A RIVER FISHERMAN!!!
Well.........yes instead of looking on google maps for free, go BUY a book, great advice.

Secondly, this spring I did lots of walking due to choice, (walking over an hour many times) but if you park at the closest possible spot, it is pretty rare one needs to walk a couple of KM's to get to their spot. There are many "secluded" spots on the NSR in Edmonton, I would still consider myself a river fisherman just becuase I dont park farther then needed just to walk a couple of KM's. I dont think you can classify people on how far they walk to fish. If I walk 2 hours to get some where but you can park 5 minutes away, that makes me a better fisherman because I walked for 2 hours?? Show me a point in the city where the closest you can park is over 2km's away......

Thirdly the river can raise and drop 2 feet in a week at anytime in the open water season, not just the fall. The river might drop another couple feet, I wouldnt consider us having "a long way to go" before it gets to the lowest point of the year. I'm pretty sure the river is only about a foot higher then last year this time judging from some of my spots, but I could be wrong so I will look for some data on this.

The ONLY useful information in your comment is that, yes, look for bends and points, they help create pools for the fish to hold in.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 AM

Now Now boys play nice.......... if you want to mudsling go down to the river and settle it there.

Please put results on youtube its been forever since i saw a good old mudslinging fight!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 AM
WorldClass

If you get a line wet in a river, you are a river fisherman. You're not a lake fisherman, or a creek, or ocean or any other type of fisherman when you have a line wet in a river.

If you hike/walk several KM during your fishing outings then I consider you to be an Adventure fisherman, and this can be done on the shore of any body of water.

Reminds me of an arguement I overheard one afternoon on the Morice between a flea flicking tourist and a gear chucking local about who was the 'real' steelhead fisherman. I laughed at myself and called them both horrible salmon fisherman.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Now Now boys play nice.......... if you want to mudsling go down to the river and settle it there.

Please put results on youtube its been forever since i saw a good old mudslinging fight!
hahaha but you are saying that you have indeed seen a mudslinging fight in the past??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES View Post
I was down at the place we regularly fish the river at and the water is lower than its been but no means is the water low . This is High for this time of year . I bet its nearly 4 feet higher than last year at this time .
I would take your bet on this. No way is it 4 feet higher then last year this time.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:01 PM

Big Valley jamboree drunk chicks rollin around in the mud, mudslingin everywhere!!!
YA Buddy!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 PM
WorldClass

Quote:
Big Valley jamboree drunk chicks rollin around in the mud, mudslingin everywhere!!!
YA Buddy!
youtube link?