Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-16-2009, 09:51 PM

Default Bow Bison

Well after being fortunate enough to draw a Bison tag I have decided that I will be making my best attempt to harvest a bull wit my Hoyt so practice practice practice I think I will go back to an Aluminum and a 150 gr muzzy type appreciate any thoughts on this.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 PM

first dajimmer now you for bison??? lucky buggers.........

i dont even know what equipment you should use Im just jealous but also glad to see you were sucessful in the draw. But i think if it was me ill stick to my carbon arrows but put on heavier heads 125+gr and 2blade cut on impacts like magnus stingers or something of the sort.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 PM

I think any 60-70 pound bow with a good 125 gr cut on impact broadhead will be just fine...

I would want a decent heavy carbon arrow as well...

I like G5 montecs for the sharpness and 1 piece toughness...

Any bow you have setup for moose or elk will be more then adequate I would think.

I would have your son backing you up with a rifle just on the off chance a bad shot occured.You would know better then anyone that you probably would not want a long track job with an animal of this size.

GL on your hunt you lucky SOB
Old 07-16-2009, 10:50 PM

I would definitely stick with carbon arrow. You can get some pretty heavy carbon arrows. I would look into the easton full metal jacket or even the FMJ dangerous game they are pretty heavy. Carbon arrows are just more reliable personally. As for broadhead what ever you trust the most to do the trick. Just my two cents. Congrats on the draw of the hunt and best of luck up there can't wait to hear your story when you get back
Old 07-16-2009, 11:28 PM

hey Donny I'd see if I could get some carbons called "grizzly sticks". They are designed heavy and like leftie said I think are more reliable.

And BTW you're a lucky son of a gun!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:51 PM

you bet donny thats awsome, i just killed my muskox with easton axis 340 with 125 grain muzzy and it stopped on the opposite shoulder.

i beefed it up to 67 pounds for the hunt so you should be able to do good
Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 AM

Nice one DB,

I have knocked over a couple of buffalo here in australia and have mates who have tried many different bow and arrow combinations as well.

I don't feel that carbon vs aluminium really matters.

To gear up for this hunt I would suggest that you have priorities, assuming you are shooting a bow of 60# or more and your arrow length is 29" or longer.

1. Strong razor sharp 2 Blade broadheads
2. Arrows at least 10 grains per inch (shaft only)
3. The arrows must fly true, no fish tailing or porposing (flying like a dolphin swims)
4. Know your target, you need to know the location of the vitals (heart / Lungs) from broadside and quartering away.

IMHO beware of using arrows that are too heavy in that you sacrifice good arrow flight for arrow weight, I have seen heavy poor flying arrows perform very poorly on big game.

As far as broad head selection goes, I only use 125 grain 2 blade heads that I trust, as per #1 & 3 above if it is strong, holds a good edge, is accurate and does not effect arrow flight then you are on a winner.

This is only my opinion formed from my experiences hunting here in Australia so take it for what it is worth.

Cheers Noel
Old 07-17-2009, 06:35 AM

I like the 2 blade rages as well ,,, they just cut so much across the plane your bound to cut something major in the lung tissue. I would consider them. I had them get through my moose last year, not a full passthrough, but it did pike a hole in the opposite side hide. I was only shooting 100grs.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 AM

Thanks

Well Aluminum was a thought for weight only but I like the sound of the Grizzly stick carbons and the G5 are my current tip.

Thanks Gents I hope I have a pic like GS when I am done loved the muskox picture

Yes I am lucky and a promise to all of you I will not waste the oppertunity.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:25 PM

Default bow bison

hey donny i have a buddy killed a bison last winter. he used a 64 lb pse xforce and grim reaper expanable broadheads.i think it was about a 30 yd recovery.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolait View Post
hey donny i have a buddy killed a bison last winter. he used a 64 lb pse xforce and grim reaper expanable broadheads.i think it was about a 30 yd recovery.
Cool I hope I do much the same I plan to Tape the hunt
Old 07-17-2009, 05:25 PM

just some food for thought, the larger the diameter the shaft is, the more resistance you will have on impact. I'm just guessing since I've never actually shot a bison but I'd be leaning towards and skinny arrow. I'm not convinced that mass is nearly as important as an arrow that flies true.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:17 PM

Default Arrows for Bison

Congrats on the tag. I would used carbon arrows. Easton came out with a new one this year, I think it is around 16.5 grains per inch or try the PSE Black Mamba arrows with weight tubes they run around 13 grains per inch. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:48 AM

congratulations on the tag, i have killed a few farm buffalo for butchering with my whitetail/moose set up 70lbs carbon arrows and 100gr slick tricks as long as you put that arrow where it needs to go you will have no worries. good luck on the hunt.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:20 PM

Excellent well I will stick to Carbons and most likely my G5`s then I am a bit worried about the Ribs as the ones on Da Jimmers bull Last year were like planks.

Thanks for the advise and the well wishes.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:14 PM

I would use the Easton FMJ myself, and get yourself the 125gr. Montec, and you should be set. Just make sure them puppies are scary sharp.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I'm not convinced that mass is nearly as important as an arrow that flies true.
Me too!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:56 PM

FMJ arrows and the Silverflame broadheads...lik a hot knife through butter!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:45 PM

Funny thing, thinking back i shot a buf for a guy in a pen to butcher with a 69# bow with Easton2216s and 125grn fixed blades at 30 yrds. I bet i only got 3/4 of the arrow in him. Since then with lighter and faster gear pass through on big stuff(moose)have been common. All i can say is they seem to be pretty solid all the way through. Good luck
Old 08-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2269 View Post
Funny thing, thinking back i shot a buf for a guy in a pen to butcher with a 69# bow with Easton2216s and 125grn fixed blades at 30 yrds. I bet i only got 3/4 of the arrow in him. Since then with lighter and faster gear pass through on big stuff(moose)have been common. All i can say is they seem to be pretty solid all the way through. Good luck
Thats interesting the next thought for me is that these Woodbison bulls make the farm raised plains high breeds look small.

I appreciate the advise guys in the end G5s on my Carbons will be the recipe with Da Jimmer on emergency stand by
Old 08-03-2009, 08:36 PM

I've got a buddy up in the YT that has killed a number of bison with a wooden stick bow, wood arrows and his own moose antler broadheads....
Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
I've got a buddy up in the YT that has killed a number of bison with a wooden stick bow, wood arrows and his own moose antler broadheads....
That would be a great way to do it! So whats your point

You trying to seperate the men from the boys or what