Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Waaa! I smoked for 30 years and enjoyed it. Smokers were the pariahs of society and easy pickings for the tax-man. No-one had sympathy for us or gave a toss as to why we smoked and why should they? I quit when a pack hit $10 that was the breaking point as most of it is tax. Governments need the money but people are quitting in droves so now they are going after the next low hanging fruit. People become obese? Fine, let them, but if they w ant sympathy from me I will direct them to the dictionary.
So you just proved the taxing issue. You stopped smoking when the price got too high. Now that the percentage of people smoking is dropping like a rock, there will be a corresponding drop in lung disease once the current crop of smokers die out.
The astronomical raise in type 2 diabetes, cardiac disease, renal failure, sleep apnea, etc. is largely due to the rediculous amount of sugars that many people consume daily.
Take a look at a picture of a large group of people from the 50's and then take a look at a picture of a group of people now. Notice a difference ?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:22 PM

Yes, I already covered that in a previous post. Tobacco taxes were a free ride for governments, average smoker is a pack a day for 40ish years and then widow-maker heart attack (No health care costs), lung cancer (6Mos pain control) or Emphysema (Oxygen bottle at smokers' expense). Then they would die before being a drain on the CPP and OAS. That has changed and pension plans are in serious trouble because people quit smoking and live longer. Everyone paying attention knows these sugar taxes are just a matter of time, governments won't cut back on spending and overweight people are a much "Heavier" drain on the state run health care system than smokers ever were. They have been referring to obesity as an "Epidemic"! Really?! Much of the world has an epidemic of hunger, here people take in more food energy than they burn off and that's tragic? When they've taxed the hell outa sweet stuff, what's next? Tea? Party!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:48 PM

Everyone install hive in your back yard. Honey for life. 150-200lbs annually. Free bee stings, bee venom is good for you. No tax on your sugar. May even sell a 100 lbs on the side.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:59 PM

I think that our world is one of convenience, we want everything as soon as possible. Unfortunately most of the convenience foods are extremely unhealthy to eat, being over-processed/too high in saturated fats/too much sugar etc. These aren't just foods from fast food restaurants either, they are present in almost all restaurants and of course in grocery aisles. But they are marketed as quicker/easier to prepare, thus convenient. Anyone who does even a bit of their own cooking knows that this isn't necessarily true, as I could easily prepare a meal from fresh ingredients faster than from frozen. This convenience mindset is why I have a small stake in some of the cannabis players. Some people say that they can grow better weed cheaper, or buy it on the black market cheaper than buying from a government licensed store. I still think that due to convenience, these stores will flourish. No different than alcohol. Many people can make really good wine/beer, but it's much more convenient to hit one of the many local liquor stores.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Yes, I already covered that in a previous post. Tobacco taxes were a free ride for governments, average smoker is a pack a day for 40ish years and then widow-maker heart attack (No health care costs), lung cancer (6Mos pain control) or Emphysema (Oxygen bottle at smokers' expense). Then they would die before being a drain on the CPP and OAS. That has changed and pension plans are in serious trouble because people quit smoking and live longer. Everyone paying attention knows these sugar taxes are just a matter of time, governments won't cut back on spending and overweight people are a much "Heavier" drain on the state run health care system than smokers ever were. They have been referring to obesity as an "Epidemic"! Really?! Much of the world has an epidemic of hunger, here people take in more food energy than they burn off and that's tragic? When they've taxed the hell outa sweet stuff, what's next? Tea? Party!

What's next?

Ban hunting.

Ban fishing.

Ban farming.

Ban foraging.

Institute a mandatory diet of soylent green 3 times a day for every human on Earth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images-3.jpeg (14.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg images-138.jpeg (16.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg images-38.jpeg (9.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 06:14 PM

Soylent green is people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Soylent green is people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"NNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo oooooooooooo!