Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 10:28 PM

Default WTB Ice Fishing Tent

Hi there,

First, I recognize this isn't the buy/sell section, but I'm an absolute beginner and as such I guess I don't have the permissions to post there? I'm simply looking for a cheap ice fishing tent someone's no longer using that they might have to spare for a few bucks? I'm very new to the sport and after spending one morning in a friends' tent actually seeing fish I'm massively hooked (pun not intended). I have no idea what I should spend money on at this point, but I do know I just want to get out by myself for a while. So, if anyone out there has an old one or two-man tent they're not using anymore that I can take out and shield myself from embarrassment, I'd greatly appreciate it. Certainly not asking for a handout, but these $500+ options I see are a little (much) too rich for my blood.

Appreciate your time!

Cheers,
C

Last edited by saintsy16; 01-15-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:00 PM

Where are you from?
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:05 PM

Calgary, sorry, I guess that's a pretty critical piece of info I should have mentioned
Old 01-15-2018, 11:08 PM

if you were closer to where I live I could have borrowed you one of mine for the rest of the winter but I live too far away around Grande Prairie unless you fish this far north?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 PM

Not yet! True beginner like I said... I haven't ventured too far outside of Calgary yet other than to fish with my friends back home in BC. But hopefully I'll be up that way next winter and it'd be awesome to pick your brain about the area (not the honey holes) then if you're still around.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 PM

o.k Good luck!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:19 PM

Thank you!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 PM

I should add that I'm not completely oblivious to the sport - I have my licence, a hand auger which I'm happy to drill with, jigs upon jigs upon jigs thanks to an overzealous trip to Cabellas, two rods (learned never to buy an UglyStik again), a tip up, and the standard stuff to fill out a tackle box.

I'll fish as-is all winter no problem, but if there happens to be a spare tent to borrow/rent/buy in the Calgary area I'm in.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:43 AM

If you don't have any luck finding a used tent, Bass Pro was selling the QuickFish 2 tent for $199 around Christmas time. Not sure if that's the regular price, but I think it is. I own one of these tents and they work great for 1 person and their gear, but I've also used mine fishing with buddies before.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:34 AM

Costco often has a pop up style tent that is decent for the money. I got one a few years ago and it is still holding up. I think they are $199 and a 6x6x6 hub style pop up.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-16-2018, 07:20 AM

I have a sub zero 2 man. I’ll pull it out and check it out since it’s been awhile since I used it.
I’ll send you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsy16 View Post
I should add that I'm not completely oblivious to the sport - I have my licence, a hand auger which I'm happy to drill with, jigs upon jigs upon jigs thanks to an overzealous trip to Cabellas, two rods (learned never to buy an UglyStik again), a tip up, and the standard stuff to fill out a tackle box.

I'll fish as-is all winter no problem, but if there happens to be a spare tent to borrow/rent/buy in the Calgary area I'm in.
Thanks to all of you!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:42 AM

Selling my 2 person tent, in Cochrane. I'm open to an offer.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camp...ationFlag=true
Old 01-18-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I have a sub zero 2 man. I’ll pull it out and check it out since it’s been awhile since I used it.
I’ll send you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO at its very best.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:15 AM

Hi all. Just wanted to say a quick thanks to the many AOers that reached out and a special thanks to the generous AOer that sold me his old tent for a very modest sum and even threw in some anchors (which I guarantee I wouldn't have figured to buy on my own).

There's something about the solitude of a tent then getting up to stretch your legs or check the tip-up and taking in the surroundings. I've been out farrrr too many times than I'd like to admit since I got my hands on that tent, learning TONNES every day.

Anyways, here's a portion of today's catch - not giants, but my first Walleye and Pike respectively. What a blast. Thanks again to all of you for helping out a new angler!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image3.JPG (32.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (26.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I've been out farrrr too many times than I'd like to admit

I told ya. Your hooked now, lol. It starts out as an innocent “I should try ice fishing”. Next thing you start spending money like your prepping for doomsday, truck box full of gear and gadgets.

Then your cursing chinooks, and smiling when you see -30° days ahead for the ice it will make.

Next thing you know your selling your body on the street corner, and doing unspeakable things to get your next fix. lol

Maybe not the last one, but soon people who know you will start to give you that look when you talk about ice fishing, wondering if maybe you’ve had a head injury.

“Oh, you sit on ice for hours by yourself, in a dark tent holding a stick, dangling a minnow in hopes a fish will swim by and bite it?”
Old 01-27-2018, 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=saintsy16;3716262]Hi all. Just wanted to say a quick thanks to the many AOers that reached out and a special thanks to the generous AOer that sold me his old tent for a very modest sum and even threw in some anchors (which I guarantee I wouldn't have figured to buy on my own).

There's something about the solitude of a tent then getting up to stretch your legs or check the tip-up and taking in the surroundings. I've been out farrrr too many times than I'd like to admit since I got my hands on that tent, learning TONNES every day.

Anyways, here's a portion of today's catch - not giants, but my first Walleye and Pike respectively. What a blast. Thanks again to all of you for helping out a new angler![/QUOTE

the walleye looks like an eagle lake walleye , short and deep bodied
Old 01-27-2018, 12:06 PM

Nice fat walleye, not a bad pike either!!

Successful day in anyone's books, welcome to fishermans anonymous!!! The addiction is impossible to quit :-)
Old 01-28-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
the walleye looks like an eagle lake walleye , short and deep bodied
Correct, good eye
Old 01-28-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I told ya. Your hooked now, lol. It starts out as an innocent “I should try ice fishing”. Next thing you start spending money like your prepping for doomsday, truck box full of gear and gadgets.

Then your cursing chinooks, and smiling when you see -30° days ahead for the ice it will make.

Next thing you know your selling your body on the street corner, and doing unspeakable things to get your next fix. lol

Maybe not the last one, but soon people who know you will start to give you that look when you talk about ice fishing, wondering if maybe you’ve had a head injury.

“Oh, you sit on ice for hours by yourself, in a dark tent holding a stick, dangling a minnow in hopes a fish will swim by and bite it?”
Lol, I'll try to refrain from selling my body, but I'm already having to hide the keys from myself when I get the urge to go to the store.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:10 PM

Default Ice fishing

Quote:
Hi all. Just wanted to say a quick thanks to the many AOers that reached out and a special thanks to the generous AOer that sold me his old tent for a very modest sum and even threw in some anchors (which I guarantee I wouldn't have figured to buy on my own).

Anyways, here's a portion of today's catch - not giants, but my first Walleye and Pike respectively. What a blast. Thanks again to all of you for helping out a new angler!
Well done for a Newbie As Play Doh said you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into. As far as a Newbie goes you will never be an Oldbie, been at this for over 50 years and it's always a new experience, wouldn't be fun if it wasn't. Welcome to hard water addiction.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Well done for a Newbie As Play Doh said you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into. As far as a Newbie goes you will never be an Oldbie, been at this for over 50 years and it's always a new experience, wouldn't be fun if it wasn't. Welcome to hard water addiction.
Thanks! Since you've been at it for so long, and purely out of curiosity, what's the one piece of equipment (other than the essentials) that you wouldn't head out on to the hard water without?
Old 01-28-2018, 07:39 PM

Default Hard water

Quote:
Thanks! Since you've been at it for so long, and purely out of curiosity, what's the one piece of equipment (other than the essentials) that you wouldn't head out on to the hard water without?
Depends on what you consider essentials or if it's catch and release. 1-Long nose pliers. 2-tape measure.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Depends on what you consider essentials or if it's catch and release. 1-Long nose pliers. 2-tape measure.
That's really helpful, thank you! Never figured long nose pliers but after my first Pike last week I definitely understand how that would be a necessity
Old 01-29-2018, 02:17 AM

Quote:
That's really helpful, thank you! Never figured long nose pliers but after my first Pike last week I definitely understand how that would be a necessity

Splurge for the fishing ones at CT or wherever. They don’t rust. I got a set once with pliers, and a pair of clippers on a neck lanyard. Those are real handy, yet not that good on braid. Pocket knife is best for those.

I’d say a pair of jaw spreaders are essential. Preferably ones that only open so far and don’t rip the fishes jaw ligaments. Once every couple trips I’m scrambling to get my spreaders out, lol.
Cell phone, external battery and means to charge it, along with some essentials like sleeping bag, candles and first aid kit if I’m heading out remote alone.
I have a checklist for the ice and the boat, yet I’ve used it enough most of it’s burned into memory. Nothing sucks more then traveling hours and remembering your Minnows are still in the freezer. Do’h.
My list of essentials now fills my entire truck, lol. Oh don’t forget some tools. Spare boots, socks. I’m the guy who brings 2 of everything, and is always adding something to the list.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:11 AM
Banned

If you hold the fish under the gill plate you can use your index finger to open their mouth to remove the hook. Much easier than jaw spreaders once you figure it out.

Best of luck out there
Old 01-29-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
If you hold the fish under the gill plate you can use your index finger to open their mouth to remove the hook. Much easier than jaw spreaders once you figure it out.

Best of luck out there

That won’t always work, and it’s not a method I’ll use often. My finger in the area of sharp trebles that I’m manipulating with pliers can be painful.
A lot depends on how and where the fish is hooked. I very rarely cut off hooks, and if he’s hooked in the gullet or gills I’m like a surgeon.
Either way, even if your a master at your suggested method, jaw spreaders should be on hand IMO. There cheap, easy and second to none as far as reducing injury to both of you.
Not trying to be contrary or insult your advice, for the record. I’m sure I’ve donated a dozen pints of blood in my lifetime from gill cuts, fish bites, hooked flesh and every other possible war wound imaginable.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Correct, good eye
walleyed fished a lot of lakes and never seen fish shaped like that any where else. good catch
Old 01-30-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
walleyed fished a lot of lakes and never seen fish shaped like that any where else. good catch

Agreed. And so pale.