Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_hate_snow View Post
I just read another article that said the train was parked on the mainline, not siding. Not sure which is correct. But I read that sidings are supposed to have 0 grade
Not the case for CN.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 07-10-2013, 03:11 PM

Default govt. doc on review of tank car standards

Here is a link to a Transport Canada bulletin on industry and regulatory efforts to upgrade tank car standards:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/...spring2007.pdf
Old 07-10-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I just read another article that said the train was parked on the mainline, not siding. Not sure which is correct. But I read that sidings are supposed to have 0 grade
Only in a perfect world.

Or maybe Saskatchewan....

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

Ok
Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Each railcar has its own brake system to apply and release the bakes on that particular car. The cars themselves do not have an air compressor. The supply of air to charge the system comes from the locomotives. I think the "header" you referred to, are the rubber air hoses that you see on both ends of each car. That is common link between each car that lets the air pressure be controlled from the engines.
Think of it as a solid air pipe (trainline) from the engines to the very last car on the train. Each car will have another pipe branching off of this main one (the trainline) to control the air brakes on that particular car. The leaking from one of the reservoirs that I referred to, actually leaks into the trainline, not out to the atmosphere. (remember the brakes need pressure to release) When the pressure in the trainline has increased by 1.5 psi, a control valve on the car next to the leaking one is activated and it in turn will start putting air into the trainline. The next car senses the 1.5psi increase and it then starts putting air from a resoirvoir into the trainline. This is how the chain reaction is started. The control valve on each car is operated pneumatically and only knows what is happening at that particular car. It doesn't know if the train is moving or stopped, unattended or manned. It just senses a rise or fall in the trainline air pressure at that car.
The system is actually designed this way to make the brakes release faster when the train is being operated.

Not pumps, the air leaks from a resorvoir on one of the cars into the trainline. As the equipment gets older, it is not as air tight as it used to be. There are no pumps or compressors on the rail cars themselves.

I don't have an automotive class 1 air brake license, but if I understand it right, those brakes work in reverse of how trains work. Air pressure is increased to apply the brakes. Originally trains worked this way until the early 1900's when a better system was designed. The problem was if the train broke apart, there was no way to apply the brakes any more. That wasn't good.

Hope I explained it better.
You are 100% correct, the secondary valve is called an aav valve. Located on the service portion.
Which Railroad do you work for and dept.
Perch 60
Trout 14
Lakers 0
Burbot 1
Sauger 0
Whitefish 0
Goldeye 3
Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Banned

The CEO threw the engineer under the train today.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Only thing that stinks is your lack of understanding of physics
The only thing that stinks is your understanding of the different sciences.

Chemistry... thats the word you were looking for... a fire is a CHEMICAL reaction.

Although the incident does prove that gravity still works... and that is a physics thing.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
The only thing that stinks is your understanding of the different sciences.

Chemistry... thats the word you were looking for... a fire is a CHEMICAL reaction.

Although the incident does prove that gravity still works... and that is a physics thing.
Thx we all took grade 7 science. Fisher peak was wondering how could crude oil cause the explosions. Physics would explain the the tanks building pressure and rupturing and the steel tank cars colliding at 101 km/hr providing the spark needed for initial ignition.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The CEO threw the engineer under the train today.
If the engineer didn't put secure the train properly, then he should shoulder some of the blame. The president of the company should have some of the blame also. It was his company after all and if he was on top of things, no employee of his would have left a train not secured properly.

Also I hope this turns into an example of why trains should not be run with only 1 person on board. If there were 2, chances are the 2nd would have insisted on doing things properly.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
If the engineer didn't put secure the train properly, then he should shoulder some of the blame. The president of the company should have some of the blame also. It was his company after all and if he was on top of things, no employee of his would have left a train not secured properly.

Also I hope this turns into an example of why trains should not be run with only 1 person on board. If there were 2, chances are the 2nd would have insisted on doing things properly.
So I read it that the engineer went to the hotel, the fire in the engine started, and then firefighters and another representative from the railroad showed up to put out the fire. That rep told the fire department to go home after the fire was out. So the rep should've been checking that the train was secured since the engine was now inoperable.. That's the guy they should've fired..
Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Banned

It showed on the news that there were still 8 or 9 cars sitting back on the track from this train.Obviously the handbrakes were set on those ones.Now the question is,who split the train and why?