Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM

booner sniper says- "to me not making a clean kill is unethical if you take a shot that you shouldn't, not the distance involved.

I say if you are looking for clean ethical kills every time, then you better stay away from long distance shooting (400 +). Have you ever had an animal move just as you pulled the trigger? It can and does happen. Now your long distance clean kill could possibly be in jeopardy. Are you now unethical?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
So there are a million answers to two questions, just what IS your point?
Cat
My point is there is no right or wrong answer to either question. It is all in the eye of the beholder....the thing is that these types of questions are presented or asked ALL THE TIME and usually lead to a thread lock and in-fighting....we should just avoid these all together IMHO. To each his own....people will do whatever they want and will justify it however they want in their own minds.

Lefty
Old 04-10-2011, 08:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
booner sniper says- "to me not making a clean kill is unethical if you take a shot that you shouldn't, not the distance involved.

I say if you are looking for clean ethical kills every time, then you better stay away from long distance shooting (400 +). Have you ever had an animal move just as you pulled the trigger? It can and does happen. Now your long distance clean kill could possibly be in jeopardy. Are you now unethical?
Same thing often happens at 20 yards with a bow. Likely more often due to string jump. Is that unethical too?

One of the rules of long range shooting is still animals that are unaware of your presence...ie, less likely to move. And truthfully, how long does it take a bullet to travel 200 yards vs 400 yards.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 PM

Made in china....junk....
Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Actually made in Japan.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:38 AM

Default Huskemau Optics.

I have bought this scope but wont be in for a week or so, Its the new one called the Blue Diamond. I bought this scope for a few reasons but the main reason is Shooting at 400+ yards. I have had to pass on so many beautiful animals because i will not shoot past 400 yards as i do not feel i can make a ethical shot at that range. So i am very excited to put this on my 270swm.
Weather i can shoot a 4" group at 700 yards or not, I think i will be able to increase my range of ethical shots with these optics & feel confident with pulling the trigger.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM

Good luck with the scope, my brother likes his on his 6.5 STW, now you get to start fine tuning everything - trigger, loads, and practice lots. I wouldn't worry about what anyone else on here says - just make sure you practice and have the confidence and ability to make a shot at the distance you are going to shoot at. I think I might pick one up as well for my Kimber 8400 P in 300 WM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

had one, sold it on the rifle it came on, ok glass, tracks accurately, love the reticle, works as intended no problems.....it suits a 10lb build, a little bulky for a packing gun imo...big heavy for me (i think 22 oz when i weighed it)...i like the streamlined leupies with 40mm objectives on everything myself....but i sure would love that reticle in my leupies
Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Huskemaw Scope\Savage Rifle,the Ultimate "JUNK" hunting Rig.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Huskemaw Scope\Savage Rifle,the Ultimate "JUNK" hunting Rig.
I realy don't see it like that with this scope. They can not be that bad as the US ARMY are looking at using them....
Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I realy don't see it like that with this scope. They can not be that bad as the US ARMY are looking at using them....
What source is telling you that the US Army is seriously considering using Huskemaw scopes? Can this information be verified, or is it just a rumor started by Huskemaw or a Huskemaw dealer?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
Actually made in Japan.
I was looking at another scope and got the titles mixed up, I just got off the phone with the sales rep and Huskemaw is made in Japan.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What source is telling you that the US Army is seriously considering using Huskemaw scopes? Can this information be verified, or is it just a rumor started by Huskemaw or a Huskemaw dealer?
No this info cannot be verified, i was told that by the Huskemau dealer. He said they have already tried it but the u.s army wanted the lenses coated with something or a different kind of coating and they also wanted the lenses installed -( sealed in ) with a different product other that what they were using before. So the New Blue Diamond, the one i have ordered is actually have all the changes to the coating on the lenses as well as the way they are installed with what ever product they wanted as well they now have 8 windage marking instead of 4. I could find out more about the lenses,coating ect if you were interested. They have that new movie out How to dope the wind. Very interesting with lots of U.S Army snipers shooting ect. I beleive they shoot a Huskemaw as well in some of the footage.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
No this info cannot be verified, i was told that by the Huskemau dealer.
Exactly as I suspected when I asked the question below.

Quote:
Can this information be verified, or is it just a rumor started by Huskemaw or a Huskemaw dealer?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:05 AM

The Huskemaw is a solid scope. The optic clarity may not be as pristine as Zeiss or Swaro but it was still perfectly clear sight picture at 20x when we were ringing the 1000 yard gong on Saturday. The reticle is the surprise for me. We were shooting the Blue Diamond model and it was quickly apparent that the sophistication of the reticle set the Huskemaw apart from other simple target turret scopes. The addition of wind hold in MOA on the turret was another very useful extra.
John's DVD How to Dope Wind Beyond Belief is a very good watch and worth everyone checking out as the technical difficulties involved in the long shots are clearly laid out.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

x2 all that, having owned one that sounds about right to me, couldn't fault it, the image quality didn't jump or pop at you like some can but it was still plenty good enough to get the job done and very repeatable turrets and the reticle with wind data on turret is money....she's a big scope though, i wouldn't put one on my backpacking gun but would work on everything else

i personally enjoyed setting up my own gun better and while i don't have a reticle for wind....my wind data is still on the scope, under the butler creek flip....in inches and looking at animal and holding inches is easy for me so i'm happy with my own leupy set ups but i did copy a lot of their ideas so to speak....its as simple as i could set it up to be hunting situation fast/friendly....i dial up with speed dial knob matching in yards just as they do...and as i said....my wind is on the scope....it just in inches and in relation to the animals i'm good at that sort of thing....instead of between the reticle and turret

i inquired with leupold at some point if i could get a windage marked duplex reticle made but it didn't look good as i'd love to copy what they do in a 4.5-14x40lr/mk4 etc. as i just don't like the big honkin fat scope, it was long time ago when i inquired, maybe leupy can do it now? maybe patents would hurt that? of course mil-dots would work but takes all the hunter simpleness out of it with too much busy...they really do have a great reticle for wind
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM

The reason for the 30mm tube is the amount of elevation it gives with out shims.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 AM

I bought one last year and got corlanes to set it up for me with the ballistics for the bullet that shot the best out of my gun in a three shot group. The fella at huskama compared the glass to a nightforce but never used on of them so I couldn't tell you. I really like the scope and as 209x50 says it is really nice to have the built in windage and hold over right on the turret, it just makes it simpler in my opinon. I practised some last year but never had the opertunity to shoot an animal long range but I can't wait to get out and practise a bunch more once the snow melts. I do my best to try and get as close as I can when rifle hunting, trying my best to try and outsmart the animal but it is nice to know that with a bit of practise with that scope that if an aminal presents itself I would be confident in my shot.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
The Armed Forces tests MANY dfferent rifles , scopes, canteen,etc.

Midway had a bunch of Tasco scopes that were tested by the Navy SEALS on sale about 15 years ago.
They were blowing them out at about $200 IIRC.
We bought 3, we should, have bought every one they had!!
30MM tube, 8-32X, with mildots,the only drawback being the paralax was adjusted on the scope not on te side. And they were BIG!!
The SEALS decided on a side adjustamenton the Leupold and IIRC the Unertl10X as well.

The scopes were very good, but they were bulky, but for long range shooting they were fine.
One was put on an unbraked Sako in 338 lapua with excellent 1,000 meter results.

If I were choosing a dedicated 700 yard plus scope for myself , and have a few, a range fnding, bullet drop compensator, etc would not be desirable as I employ a laser range finder when shooting long.
The scope would have to have enough turret to get me there however, and most need a rail of some sort to do that.
I shoot my rifles out to my max distance to get the amount of elevation I need, that way I know exactly what the cartridge will do at the ranges I am shooting at.
Cat
Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM

When I took my rifle and scope to a very well known gunsmith in Edmonton he had never seen one and was very impressed with the optics. He mounted it on my rifle. When I picked it up he asked where it was manufactured. He also wanted to know how much, I told him, he figured that's allright. I was happy to hear what he had to say.
I have been using a Huskemaw for the past few years now and have spent several dollars and loads of time at my loading bench as well as at the range. If you take the time and learn how to shoot long range its hands down the most exciting and calculated way to hunt. IMO!!
To go after an animal that doesn't have a clue is about as ethical as I can imagine.
If one becomes successful with this type of hunting it will put a smile on your face that will last a lifetime. Nevermind the great time and memories you will experiance. My good hunting partner is a believer as it made some memories for us that were incredible and look forward to several more. I can say that from my experience.
Unbelieveable and Unimagineable!!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:13 PM

Default Love it!!

Picked up the scope this afternoon, Just absalutley love the retical and the optics in my opion are very very nice, Cant wait to get it mounted to get the real feeling on it but at 20 power i am impressed. Can not wait to work a load and start shooting this thing at ranges past 400 yards.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 PM

They are in bed with Cooper

http://www.thebestofthewest.net/rifle.html

tm
Old 04-14-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post

http://www.thebestofthewest.net/rifle.html

tm
I wonder how that sits with the fellas at Corlanes? They have their own customer rifle brand AND they sell and advertise and back the Huskemaw scopes....interesting.

Lefty
Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I wonder how that sits with the fellas at Corlanes? They have their own customer rifle brand AND they sell and advertise and back the Huskemaw scopes....interesting.

Lefty
Very well! They are the Canadian distributor for Huskemaw scopes and they will mount the scope on any rifle the customer chooses.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Both companies are now sponsoring the TV show, and they have built a package for the show to sell as a special edition.As much as the tv show has done to popularize the Huskemaw optics, I don't see the association with the tv show doing much to improve the image of Cooper rifles. In fact, I can't help but wonder if their association with the tv show is part of the reason for the huge price increase for the new Cooper 56 magnum rifle.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 AM

Default scope

Bit Runner:

Where did you pick it up?

Old 04-14-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300WSM View Post
Bit Runner:

Where did you pick it up?

I picked it up at the Gun show in Dawson Creek Through Corlanes. Like someone else said they will mount it on any rifle you want ,They ordered 90 in after the gun show i went there today and they sold out the first day. They built my gun i am putting it on but i used a Browning a-bolt action intead of theres even though i realy like theres.