Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM

Default Help!!!

hey guys, i took my new rifle to the range today and ran into a bit of a problem. I was starting out at 25 yards and took one shot and it was off the paper but some dirt flew to the right so i moved it 30 clicks right. My second shot was low and left so i moved it up 30 and left 20. The next shot only moved vertically but did not move horizontally. This trend continued for the next several shots and i could not get it to move to the left. Just so you know its a Browning BLR with a Leupold VX-3, and leupold standard mounts, which i put on myself. If you know any causes for this the help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bushhunter; 05-17-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I was starting out at 25 yards and took one shot and it was off the paper but some dirt flew to the right so i moved it 30 clicks right.
Quote:
My second shot was low and left so i moved it up 30 and left 20.

If you are shooting to the right,adjust the scope left.If the bullet strikes to the left,adjust the scope to the right.According to your description,you are moving left when you should be moving right,and vice versa.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Default target

the bullet is striking to the right and will not move at all to the left.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM

Loose/incorrect scope mounts?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Did the scope dial stop turning? ie. ran out of adjustment range? Like the elkman said, adjust opposite hits left, move it to the right.

Not trying to be a smart*****, but you do have the scope mounted correctly? All screws in bases rings tightened evenly and loc tited? the windage turret should be on the right hand side of the rifle? The only reason I ask is that I did see someone mount it so their elevation turret was rolled all the way over to the left side of the rifle (being used as windage), and the windage turret was on top (used as elevation). Did not work well.......

adjustable windage rings being used? they can throw you way off if not tightened correctly.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:59 PM

I would think the scope is not tightened, maybe the scope is moving after each shot. just a thought..
Old 05-17-2010, 09:01 PM
sheephunter

At 25 yards, 16 clicks will only move you an inch so it just could be that you need to move the windage adjustment a whole lot more.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 PM

First

check and make sure that you have the right scope mounts. It's not the first time that a customer has been given the wrong ones. Make sure that their good, ie no off center hole. Leupold makes good equiptment, though unlikely an occasional dud could get past quality control.

Second

set your scope back the same number of clicks that you moved it in which ever direction you moved it. This should bring you to where factory set it, which should be center or close to it. Take a shot. If it is impacting to the right, loosen the left screw on the rear scope mount a full turn, then turn the right screw tight. This should shift your point of impact to the left. Fire another shot. Do it again if necessary. Once you are on the paper do the same adjustment but with half a turn until you are close to the center. At that point make sure the screws are tight, then adjust with your turret the rest of the way. The proceedure keeps the cross hairs as close to the center of the scope as possible which is always a good thing.

I don't know what cartridge you're shooting, but I have seen people who have developed quite a flinch and not know that they are doing it. Take a friend with you and get him/her to load and cock the rifle, most times with a round and on occasion without one. That will let you know whether that is your source of the problem
Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 PM

If it was me I would take it into your local gun shop and make sure that every thing is tight and proper, then see if they have a bore sighter to see if your elevation and windage knobs are doing what they are supposed to be doing before you start wasting anymore shells